www.outdoorbits.com

Sister shop to Motorhome Facts Motorhome Solar Panel Fitting
Professionally Fitted Solar Panels for Motorhomes

Free & silent energy for your motorhome, fully fitted pricing for peace of mind.

Motorhome Insurance

motorhome insurance quote online
Phone on 0208 9845311

Motorhome Chat Rooms

Motorhome Chat

11 Chat Rooms
12 Members connected
6 members chatting

Chat Now

Campsite Reviews

Camping Nicholas Review Photo

Review of:
Camping Nicholas

Palea Epidavros

Greek Campsite Greece

Full Details

Motorhome Garage

2008 Adria Coral S650SP
2008 Adria Coral S650SP motorhome
Owned by djp30
Updated 26/02/2014

2008 FLEETWOOD TERRA LX
2008 FLEETWOOD TERRA LX motorhome
Owned by SUFFOLKBOY
Updated 11/01/2009

1986 Autotrail CHEROKEE 207d
1986 Autotrail CHEROKEE 207d motorhome
Owned by BIGMILLIE
Updated 06/08/2009

Latest Classified Ads

test1
by nukeadmin

Motorhome Ads

Motorhome Facts :: View topic - Mid 80's Hymer 660 opinions / advice

Advertise Here
Welcome to Motorhomefacts, we are a thriving motorhome community (Largest in Europe). Why Not JOIN NOW and get instant access to more of the website. It costs nothing to join and only takes a few minutes.
We have 200,000 different people visiting our site monthly and this amount of motorhomers in one place guarantees a fast response to any questions you may have. We also have unique facilities not found elsewhere such as our Online Logbook, stopover tracker, Motorhome directory with Ebay type feedback and the largest repository of motorhome campsites reviews found anywhere

Rally News Next Rally is @ The Motorhome Show Season Finale, Lincoln on 25/09/2014 in lincolnshire

Tweet This Topic Facebook del.icio.us digg blogmarks Furl Reddit technorati Yahoo Google View previous topic View next topic

Mid 80's Hymer 660 opinions / advice
182773 Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:07 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

slackboy  

MH: 660

Campsites

Hello, looking for advice from your knowledge base.
I've owned a camper before (LT35) but am now looking at buying something a wee bit more comfortable with shower and heating etc, the LT really was a camper and not a motorhome.
I have around 10k to spend and have been looking at the hymer 544, early 90's model. The layout of these vans is good but I would like somewhere where the young baby can go whilst we listen to the music playing cards and drinking the wine, the only way I can see of doing this is by going down the route of a hymer 660 which has the rear lounge / bed. Obviously being a bigger van makes it a bit more expencive meaning I could really only afford a mid 80's 660. Does anybody have any advice with regards to these vans, a local dealer has told me about problems with plastic in the mid 80's hymers (I guess he's talking about the shower room).
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Regards in advance,
Nick

183043 Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:45 am Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

geraldandannie  

MH: Chausson - Welcome 76

Campsites

eu.gif

Hi, Nick

I'm afraid I have no specific experience of either of these vans. In our review section, we have reviews of newer
Only registered users can see links on our Forum
Join Now or Login
and
Join Now or Login
. If you search the memberlist for owners of Hymer 660, you come up with 6 owners, but they've only got 3 posts between them, so I think a 'proper' answer may be unlikely. You never know, though Wink

One member was selling his
Join Now or Login

And if you use the forum SEARCH facility for Hymer AND 660, you can find a number of references.

Gerald

183061 Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:30 am Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

artona  

MH: .

Campsites

uk.gif

Hi Nick

You could also look abroad, see what you can pick up in Germany. If you pick up one with a mercedes engine, then in general the engines are superb. You will need to check everything over and over though, repairs can be costly

stew
 Hymer
183068 Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:41 am Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

Rapide561 Subscriber 16/02/2015 

MH: Swift Kon-tiki 679 low line - The "HMS Sheffield"

Campsites

italy.gif

Hi

You may have already visited
Join Now or Login
but if not, might be worth a look.

Rusky

Image 550

183076 Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:53 am Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

kands  

Motorhome Facts User without an Avatar

MH:

Campsites

blank.gif

Hi Nick
If you care to look through my photo album you will see some pictures of our old Hymer S660.
We virtually rebuilt it before selling it to get our current RV. The Hymer S660 is a fantastic bit of kit. They were all built on the Mercedes chassis and the late 80's early 90's units are on the Mercedes 410 chassis (I am not to sure about earlier models but I believe that all S660's were using the Mercedes chassis), which is pretty bullet proof. The engine is the old 5 cylinder 2.9 litre normally aspirated diesel, which although will do starship mileage if maintained correctly, will not go above tug speeds Laughing Laughing
The mercedes engine had the option of an auto gearbox, which whilst reducing available power to the wheels a bit, does make driving it much more pleasant.
I am not aware of any particular plastic faults with these vehicles so if it is the shower then remember that you can get replacement parts for the older Hymers from
Join Now or Login
and also
Join Now or Login

Both these companies are very helpful and knowledgeable.
I must say that 10K is not a lot of cash to be playing with and wonder if your DIY skills are good? The reason for asking is that, as with any older vehicle, it will probably require some work and maintenance and if you are able to do this yourself, then you will save a lot of money....
Regarding the maintenance, Mercedes are no more expensive to maintain than anything else in real terms, a lot of parts are generally less expensive than you first imagine and they also last longer (this is certainly true of the older Mercedes anyway..), so don't be put off with comments about expense.
If you can find a decent S660, then I would advise that you pursue it matey, they are wonderful old buses and will give you years of faithful service.....
Good luck and if I can be of any help please feel free to shout (I just noticed that you cannot PM as you are not a subscriber to this great site YET Laughing Laughing ), so just post in the forums....
Edit... I have also just realised that as a non subscriber you cannot look at the pictures in my album either... Sorry. Still if you are thinking of buying an old Hymer, the 10 to join this site will be repaid many times over (even on the insurance discounts available mate Wink Wink

Keith
 Hymer Mercedes 660
190295 Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:32 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

Philzick  

MH: Hymer Starline 624

Campsites

uk.gif

This is a late repy so if it's of value... I bought a 660 with the smaller 4 cylinder 2.4 ltr engine from germany in 2004. I didn't know a lot at the time and the only drawback is the small engine. The 5 cylinder 2.9 ltr is probably the one to go for and reputed to be the best engine Mercedes ever built and good for 350K miles. The 2.4 engine is the same lump just minus a cylinder. She has taken us to Italy, through France of course, Spain too, two years running. You have to get used to everything passing you as top speed is around 68mph, downhill with a proverbial gail behind you! That I have to say you don't want to be doing for long as she's a bit of a handful at anything over 60mph. On the flat she will sit at 50-55 all day. Plenty of space, all mod cons just an old lady. We had to have the gearbox reconditioned this year plus a new clutch at the same time. Other than that no big costs. Ours is a 1983 so a little fraid around the edges but everything works fine. She returns 19mpg worst and 22mpg at best which for an old non-turbo engine is as good as you'll get me-thinks. I paid 8100 euros plus the ferry, diesel, registration and a new uk mot etc to get her on UK roads so might be worth looking at buying in Germany and driving back. Have a look at
Join Now or Login
which lists all sorts for sale in germany. Any other queries glad to try and advise.
PS. Eventually your wife will want to spend a small fortune on a nice shiny new one!!! Why did we go to the NEC I ask!!!
 hymer s660 mercedes auto for sale 1990
204694 Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:15 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

merctoby Subscriber 12/08/2015 

MH: s660/ now new s700

Campsites

uk.gif

who ever wants, the flagship this is it will go on after i am gone and that is a long way off i hope .

good luck happy camper,s keep doing the mile,s it,s a great life is nt it . have fun .
 Re: Hymer Mercedes 660
429845 Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:00 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

skinnylizzie  

MH: Hymer 5400

Campsites

blank.gif

Hi Nick, Philzick and Keith just read your posts and would like to know how you got on Nick?, Philzick, Keith anybody can you perhaps help my husband and I?.
We purchased a 1982 Mercedes Hymer B5400 LHD last year and toured the Devon,Cornish and SW Welsh coast before crossing into Southern Ireland two weeks into our trip "Maggies" gearbox gave up the ghost and we were stuck in the remotest little village on the back of a recovery truck for a week before we could find a gearbox. Eventually a 5 speed truck gearbox from a RHD was fitted at an enormous cost and we made our way back to Warwickshire with much lighter wallets. We would now like to have a larger engine (3 or 3.5 litre preferably diesel) and a 4/5 speed manual gearbox fitted to "Maggie" can you perhaps help or put us in contact with somebody who can?
In the year that we have owned "Maggie" and six months of constant touring in her she has found a place in our hearts Razz and given us so much enjoyment that we do not want to sell her but cannot continue with the small engine she currently has (2389 litre) and the truck gearbox as we are wanting to tour France in the summer. Rolling Eyes
Thanks
Liz

Last edited by skinnylizzie on Sat May 24, 2008 5:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
 Re: Hymer Mercedes 660
429860 Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:38 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

skinnylizzie  

MH: Hymer 5400

Campsites

blank.gif

Please see previous message by skinnylizzie Embarassed Razz

763847 Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:43 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

goggsey  

MH: Mercedes Hymer 660S

Campsites

uk.gif

hi i have a older 660S from 1977 German import, and it has the rear bed fitted, i have been all over europe with her and she has only ever had one problem that was a clutch plate spring went, the merc dealer (belgium) fixed it that morning, i take 3 g/kids with me and there is loads of space for all there stuff. never had any problems with plastic and she has just passed another MOT with no problems so would say check out the earlier ones, she has full heating, fridge, hot water shower, every thing the newer ones have fitted. look at German web site there are a lot cheaper than UK, just Left hand drive,
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Members do not see the Adverts Below