www.outdoorbits.com

Sister shop to Motorhome Facts avtex snipe portable satellite system
Avtex Snipe

The Avtex Snipe is a small portable, fully automatic satellite system that also features Auto Skew for just under 650.

Motorhome Insurance

motorhome insurance quote online
Phone on 0208 9845311

Motorhome Chat Rooms

Motorhome Chat

11 Chat Rooms
12 Members connected
6 members chatting

Chat Now

Campsite Reviews

Damme Dummerlohausen Review Photo

Review of:
Damme Dummerlohausen

Damme Dummerlohausen
Lower Saxony

German Campsite Germany

Full Details

Motorhome Garage

2007 Dethleffs Globe Trotter XXL
2007 Dethleffs Globe Trotter XXL motorhome
Owned by TJ101
Updated 09/03/2012

2007 Concorde Charisma I880L
2007 Concorde Charisma I880L motorhome
Owned by Crindle
Updated 18/01/2011

2004 kentucky camp estro 8 estro 8
2004 kentucky camp estro 8 estro 8 motorhome
Owned by brillopad
Updated 14/01/2009

Latest Classified Ads

Motorhome Ads

Motorhome Facts :: View topic - Importing a motorhome from the United States

Advertise Here
Welcome to Motorhomefacts, we are a thriving motorhome community (Largest in Europe). Why Not JOIN NOW and get instant access to more of the website. It costs nothing to join and only takes a few minutes.
We have 200,000 different people visiting our site monthly and this amount of motorhomers in one place guarantees a fast response to any questions you may have. We also have unique facilities not found elsewhere such as our Online Logbook, stopover tracker, Motorhome directory with Ebay type feedback and the largest repository of motorhome campsites reviews found anywhere

Rally News Next Rally is @ HALLOWEEN & CHRISTMAS SHOPPING Newlands, Wellesbourne,Warks on 31/10/2014 in Warwickshire

Tweet This Topic Facebook del.icio.us digg blogmarks Furl Reddit technorati Yahoo Google View previous topic View next topic

Importing a motorhome from the United States
24525 Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:41 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

Endura2  

MH:

Campsites

I am in the process of planning a trip to the States with a view to importing a brand new C class. If anyone has any experience of importing a motorhome to the UK or Europe your experiences will be appreciated. My next port of call is HM Customs & Excise. What's left me will then be looking at shipping agents etc etc etc etc.
 Importing Rvs
24526 Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:05 am Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

Fozz  

MH:

Campsites

I am currently investigating importing a used A Class Rv from the US.

I would be interested in any advice you have come across, particularly cost of import duties
conversion of electrics from 110v
cost of shipping.

I currently have a few enquires/quotes out and would be happy to share the info on receipt

Also have you come across any articles from others who have imported from the US

regards Dave Fozzard
tel 07966 333502
 Importing rv from the States
24527 Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:18 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

Endura2  

MH:

Campsites

I will certainly contact you with any details
 Motorhome Import from the USA
24528 Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:19 am Thank this member for this postReply with quote Back To Top

Anonymous Subscriber 02/03/2023 

MH:

Campsites

Very Happy Endura2 and Fozz. I have imported from the USA. Bought through Tommy Howard of . He dealt with the shipping, and arranged the agent to act on our behalf in the UK.
Custom's Duty is 10% of the purchase price and shipping. You then pay VAT of 17.5% on the purchase price, shipping and Duty. Then you require either an MOT for an RV over 10 years old, or an SVA for an RV less than 10 years old. You then take all the documents to DVLA and register the RV. If you require any more info? I will be only too glad to assist. Cool

24529 Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:21 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

Arizona  

MH: LMC Liberty

Campsites

ireland.gif

Hi Guys

We imported a used A Class motorhome last year. We shipped from Texas so can pass on freight forwarders details if that's the area you buy in. AAA america will inspect the vehicle anywhere in the states for about $200/300. It's more cost effective to ship from either the east or the gulf of mexico. Sometimes getting the rig over land to the port can be expensive, so I wouldn't advise that you buy in Washington state for example.

Check out the sales tax laws they vary from state to state, but in some states if you are exporting the vehicle you are exempt from sales tax which can save you a good bit.

Good luck in your search. If you've any other questions let us know

regards

Arizona

24530 Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:59 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

Carl_n_Flo Subscriber 12/08/2015 

MH: Autotrail Cheyenne 696G SE

Campsites

wales.gif

Hi all,

Just how much SHOULD we be budgeting for the following?

delivery from Texas to port or Florida to port?
RO-RO ferry cost USA to Southampton (for example)?
Agents fees?

Do tell please, those of you who have done this.

I understand the 10% duty and 17%VAT on EVERYTHING. (By the way, is it possible to negotate with the seller to produce an invoice with a lesser amount shown than that actually paid? - not that I want to diddle the vat man you understand Wink

regards
carl

24531 Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:03 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

Giok  

Motorhome Facts User without an Avatar

MH: Hymer B584

Campsites

scotland.gif

It doesn't matter to a certain extent how much your invoice says, as the customs can place their own valuation on a vehicle if they suspect that it is undervalued. No harm though in getting an invoice that when you pay the VAT etc, negates the addition of the shipping cost. It always seems unfair that you pay tax on the shipping cost and on the import tax, you should only be taxed on the cost of the vehicle, or whatever else you import.
John

24532 Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:37 am Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

Carl_n_Flo Subscriber 12/08/2015 

MH: Autotrail Cheyenne 696G SE

Campsites

wales.gif

[quote:b4d5dab6a8]the customs can place their own valuation on a vehicle [/quote:b4d5dab6a8]

How on earth do customs know what the value of the vehicle is? Do they look through MMM and decide that it must be worth 40,000 after looking at a Dudleys of Oxford ad, when I only paid 12,000 for it in the States?

This seems mighty unfair to me.....

carl

24533 Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:08 am Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

Giok  

Motorhome Facts User without an Avatar

MH: Hymer B584

Campsites

scotland.gif

Nobody ever said the customs had to be fair, quite the reverse in some peoples' opinions. They have access to the internet in the same way as you do, and can look at what sort of price similar vehicles are selling for, and on the basis of that decide to ask you to prove the amount paid, bills bank transfers etc. If they wish they can find out what it would cost in the UK and charge you VAT on that amount. Don't forget that Customs and Excise are one of the most powerful organisations in the UK, think VAT inspectors. As far as I'm aware they don't even need a search warrant in some cases where they can prove reasonable grounds for suspicion. They are not good people to get on the wrong side of, and don't forget until they're happy, [and paid] you don't get your goods!
John

24534 Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:35 pm Thank this member for this postReply with quote Add User to Ignore List Back To Top

cornishman  

MH:

Campsites

Hi Endura2
We flew to the states in January and bought a Fleetewood Revolution to import back with us the end of June.When we get things finalised i will post the results.My plan is to ship from Bruswick Georgia to Southampton using RORO ship .Where are you planning to look at the C class ,i bought from Lazydays Florida because they carry so many brands and models.If you are flying to Florida i can get the salesman to get in touch with you ,he is first class ,very easy to deal with and wont pressure you into a decision.
If there is any thing i can help you with i will only be glad to help

From sunny Cornwall currently in sunnier South Carolina
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Members do not see the Adverts Below