Mechanical & Technical >> Base Chassis (Fiat/Mercedes/Iveco etc)

How do I comply with the London Emission Zone
I have a friend who has just realised that by living inside the London LEZ she will have to comply with the regs by the end of this year.

The confusion has come about because she thought that her Mercedes Sprinter 316 CDI was Euro 4 but we now think that it's a Euro 3 engine.

She doesn't want to sell the van or the house (ie move outside the area) so is planning on fitting whatever is required to make her van compliant. One quote is over 4,750k plus VAT.

Has anyone had their van converted to comply with the LEZ? What did you have done and how much did it costs?

Grateful for any help?


I would think that many people would be interested in this post as it will affect 000's of us by the end of this year.

I didn't think there was anyone that could "upgrade the emissions" so was resigned to the fact that we would just have to avoid London.

Of course its not only the LEZ in London, as Germany has introduced LEZ's around several of its cities and these steps are certain to expand

When someone lives in London that is not an option they have to go into the Zone.

The conversion kits are done by the Base manufacturer so ask Mercedes but Fiat told us to dump the engine--ye right!!!

The answers are
Replace your vehicle
Use a newer vehicle which meets the LEZ emissions standards.

Fit abatement equipment
It may be possible to fit pollution abatement equipment. All modifications will need to be certified by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) or an equivalent authorised body if your vehicle is registered outside of Great Britain for more information visit the TfL website.

Re-engine your vehicle
You may choose to replace the engine in your vehicle with a more recent model. If you re-engine your vehicle you need to register with Transport for London.

BUT is this the best idea------Convert to gas You may choose to convert your vehicle to run on pure gas using an approved conversion. For GB operators, pure gas conversions should be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and must be certified by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA).

It should be noted that vehicles with conversion to other fuels or that run on bio diesel are not deemed to meet the required LEZ emissions standards.

Next Topics
Menu Home