Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm fairly new to motorhoming and have just bought a new Compass. When the ignition is turned on all the power automatically cuts out in the back of the MH. Is this a legal requirement and if so why?. I use to drive coaches and passengers have reading lights. I can run a DVD player in the back of my car but cannot do the same from the "leisure" battery supply in the MH.
Is there a way to isolate this and allow sensible use of the rear electrics?
Regards. Pete.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI Thanks for this. I do have a wiring diagram but cannot tell from it what relay is being used to isolate the circuits. If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful. I have a new ELDDIS ( PEUGEOT ) COMPASS AVANTGARDE 200 and am travelling up to Scotland overnight on Friday night. It would be nice to have some lighting in the back for the passengers.
Regards. Pete.

quote="NorwegianBlue"]Pete, it is the interpretation of the elctro-magnetic interference standards in the UK that most local manufacturers follow that route. Many European manufacturers do not disable the habitaion 12v, I guess they interperet the rules differently.

It is possible to by-pass if you have a manual with the wiring diagram, or any good auto-electrician will be able to do.

It is a very emotive subject, and some will argue that it could upset your ABS, air-bag, engine management system or whatever, and then happily plug in a DVD or TomTom or a miriad of other devices without any consideration!

I have done it on my 'van. Keeps the kids happy/reading/playing with rear lights in the dark winter months. As you say, busses run their lights in the back?

Pete[/quote]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Pete. I will give it a go tonight.
Regards. Pete.

NorwegianBlue said:
Pete,

That relay also has a connection from the leisure battery to the vehicle battery while the alternator is charging on the NO terminal. I did not change any of the other wiring, but fed a dedicated 12v feed for the habitation circuit via it's fuse by-passing the relay. I can easily put it back to it's original state.

Hope this helps.
Pete

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All done. Will let you know if it has any adverse affects when we get back from Bonny Scotland in a week or so.
Many Thanks.
Pete.

OldSoldier said:
Thanks Pete. I will give it a go tonight.
Regards. Pete.

NorwegianBlue said:
Pete,

That relay also has a connection from the leisure battery to the vehicle battery while the alternator is charging on the NO terminal. I did not change any of the other wiring, but fed a dedicated 12v feed for the habitation circuit via it's fuse by-passing the relay. I can easily put it back to it's original state.

Hope this helps.
Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.