Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, while searching for a Hymer as our first motorhome I have come across an ad for a 2004 Mirage 5000, based on the Ducato 2.8. From what I can glean from the web, these are Italian made but the manufacturer has gone bust. Has anyone got any experience with them?

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Hi All, while searching for a Hymer as our first motorhome I have come across an ad for a 2004 Mirage 5000, based on the Ducato 2.8. From what I can glean from the web, these are Italian made but the manufacturer has gone bust. Has anyone got any experience with them?
Welcome to the forum.

Yes we had one for 5 years. The base vehicle was produced in Italy but some were sent to UK & was fitted out by Auto-Sleeper, badged as Auto-Sleeper Mirage. The finish was usual AS type, although some were finished by an Italian company I think. If the taps are chrome it is AS, if they are gold with pink upholstery it is Italian. Van was a great A class, although they did have a problem with the floor. The floor was covered with a plastic membrane to protect from damp. However if the seal between the sides & the floor was not perfect then damp was able to reach the floor & due to being plastic covered would not dry & subsequently rot out. I know this from bitter (expensive) experience. The fittings in the van are all pretty much standard, problems with the body are not so easy to resolve as the company did go bust. If the price is right & the floor sound then well worth a look.

There are reviews online. If you need any more info ask away. Just remembered the windscreens are stupidly expensive so make sure any insurance cover will meet the expense, around £5k as I recall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Yes we had one for 5 years. The base vehicle was produced in Italy but some were sent to UK & was fitted out by Auto-Sleeper, badged as Auto-Sleeper Mirage. The finish was usual AS type, although some were finished by an Italian company I think. If the taps are chrome it is AS, if they are gold with pink upholstery it is Italian. Van was a great A class, although they did have a problem with the floor. The floor was covered with a plastic membrane to protect from damp. However if the seal between the sides & the floor was not perfect then damp was able to reach the floor & due to being plastic covered would not dry & subsequently rot out. I know this from bitter (expensive) experience. The fittings in the van are all pretty much standard, problems with the body are not so easy to resolve as the company did go bust. If the price is right & the floor sound then well worth a look.

There are reviews online. If you need any more info ask away. Just remembered the windscreens are stupidly expensive so make sure any insurance cover will meet the expense, around £5k as I recall.
Welcome to the forum.

Thank's for the info, much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Just remembered the AS version was called a Luxor, oh & it had a fixed underslung LPG tank, which needs to be tested every 10 years I believe, plus a full size cooker.

Review here:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts