Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my eagerly awaited 2009 ACSI DVD arrived which I promptly installed. I am very dissapointed in that many of the Belgian towns appear to have been name in French. Example Veurne is shown as Furnes and Ghent becomes Gand. These name changes were not evident
in the 2007 version I bought and installed on another PC.

I have NOT mistakenly installed it using the French language. The PC whichis my new Samsung NC10 has NEVER had this software on before.

I've even uninstalled and re-installed with no difference being made.
incidently, the un-install routine is the one utilised from the older 2007 version.

Has anyone else had the same problem with this guide.
I've searched the internet to see if anyone is having problems but come up with nothing.

It could be that I have a a faulty disk, but at this stage I simply don't know.

·
Premium Member
31,732 Posts
Hi

I bought the Acsi card and book recently. Can you tell me what the advantage of the DVD is please? You can search sites on their website so I am not sure why I might need the DVD

Cheers
Barry

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MikeCo said:
Ours is the same as yours but the DVD is still excellent
Thanks, at least I know it's not a faulty DVD.

Yes it is a good DVD (Normally), but why can't they use the names of the places as designated by the country concerned and more importantly the names as they appear on roadsigns. I consider this a major flaw in this software and one should not have to consult a map or other software for translation.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The DVD contains the details of 8600 sites including the ones that take the ASCI discount card. It has various facilities including a route finder and a search criteria section. This is useful for finding sites open in winter as you can put in the dates in that you require
Excellent value but you need to install it on your laptop and take it with you.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
barryd said:
Hi

I bought the Acsi card and book recently. Can you tell me what the advantage of the DVD is please? You can search sites on their website so I am not sure why I might need the DVD

Cheers
Barry
I think the advantage of DVD based mapping over the website is that you don't always have access to the internet. I find the DVD more usefull in that all you need to do is click on the map at the chosen site and you get all the info you need to decide whether to visit that site or not. Sometimes it's not always possible to plan the entire route before crossing the ferry, (unless your coach operator).

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
barryd said:
Cheers Zozzer

I have to always have access to the internet on the move because of my job so I wont bother with the DVD then. Thanks
Barry
If you intend to use it abroad then it would be cheaper to buy and use the DVD unless you can get free wi-fi when you need it. Also I'm not certain that accessing the internet has the same imformation thats on the DVD.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sent an email to Vicarious Books last night informing them of the fault.
This morning I received a reply direct from ACSI admitting the fault.

Here's the reply...

In ACSI Camping DVD 2009, we are using new map materiaal (and mechanism) of an extern company. In 2009 all townnames in a country are displayed in 1 language for example all townnames in Belgium are in French. This is a fault and will be solved in our 2010-version.

Kind regards,
R v/d Ven
ACSI Publishing b.v.

As far as I am concerned, I am happy with swift response of both Vicarious Books and ACSI bv.

Propective buyers of the guide can now decide for themselves whether to buy the 2009 guide or wait for the 2010.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.