Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having used the van, and arriving home I put it on 240v connected at home, how long can I leave it connected up charging the battery

Does the battery have anything in it to stop it cooking

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Hi

The answer should be permenantly, zig types are extremely slow to charge, 4 weeks to get into the 90's percentage full wise.

If its a staged charger when its full its will drop to trickle/maintenance charge.

what type / name is it?

George

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi

If the electrical system is the same as our 96 Hymer, it's a constant voltage charge setup, with a 10amp max. So when you hook up it will take your batteries up to 13.8 volts and then just trickle a few milliamps into them to keep them at that level. Ours didn't actually charge the vehicle battery as standard, just the leisure battery, which i thought was a bit poor. If you look on the control panel at the battery levels for battery 1 & 2, it should show just under 14 volts while on charge, after being on charge for a while. If battery 2 shows a lower charge, and stays around 12.5 ish, the vehicle battery is probably not being charged.

So assuming Hymer haven't changed, it won't do them any harm, and won't cook your batteries.

Dave

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey cheers guys

I just wondered as the mrs keeps unplugging when she wants to hoover our car. It was the leisure battery I was bothered about, with it only being a few weeks old etc Thanks

Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.