Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3Connect software has just upgraded itself from version 1.1.0 to 2.0.0. This seemed to be a compulsory upgrade - I saw no way of stopping it. It took a few attempts to connect to the server and then downloaded over 13MB. The new interface is blue/grey with less grades on the connection strength indicator (5 bars max rather than about 10 IIRC) but all the available settings seem the same. Too early to say whether performance has improved.

I just hope it hasn't re-locked my unlocked dongle.

EDIT: The dongle appears to be still unlocked. One annoyance is that every time the software connects it opens the Three homepage in Internet Explorer and I don't know how to turn that off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like the new software. The web page thing is a pain but the usage page lets you know what speed it is getting now which I realy like. The ping test built in has also been used when I have been having trouble. You can see the log as well but I have not had a look in detail at that yet.

Ifor

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ifor said:
I like the new software. The web page thing is a pain but the usage page lets you know what speed it is getting now which I realy like. The ping test built in has also been used when I have been having trouble. You can see the log as well but I have not had a look in detail at that yet.

Ifor
Afraid I disagree, Ifor - I hate it because there is a significant difference - it won't allow you to set 3G Preferred - ie to have 2G as a fallback - only have 3G Only.
In their blurb 3 claim they only want users to experience their service at its best - but I suspect that the suggestion in another recent thread on here that it was more to do with changes in their contract to purchase a dropdown 2G service from Orange is closer to the truth. Of course I'd rather use 3G where a signal exists - but if not 2G is surely better than nothing.

What I was able to do - and I assume other users with an older dongle could do likewise - was uninstall the v2.0 3Connect, and reinstall v1.0 from the dongle. I think the update gets "reprompted" every now and again but there is a command to leave it for up to 3 days ("Snooze") which I intend to keep using. Unless anyone can suggest a way of stopping the update prompt altogether?

I understand that newer dongles already have the v2.0 software installed so this will not be an option for everyone, I guess.

I guess that at some point I may have to accept the update - if it is down to 3's contractual arrangements I'm sure they'll make it unavoidable - but I hope this may help anyone else who wants to use a 3 dongle where there's no 3G signal, at least for now.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can select 3G preferred in the new version: go to Networks>Network mode>3G preferred. I've been surfing all evening on Orange 2G EDGE. You can also do manual network selection and select Orange 2G, if there's a signal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all
Recently i have reinstalled my OS and now the software built into my dongle does not work the version on my dongle is 1.0 and i have tried to find a download of the newer version 2.0 but it seems it is not available for download 3 themselves have been no help what so ever.

Could any one help me out.

Ideally i need that new software v2.0 if someone here could send me it that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I bought my 3 dongle Nov 2007 (18mth/24 contract). I used it today when the Landline developed a fault. I didn't notice any updates being downloaded.

Mind you it was a bit of a pain as it kept disconnecting due to signal dropping down to 1 bar. That was 3G or HSPDA.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jim2101 said:
Hi all
Recently i have reinstalled my OS and now the software built into my dongle does not work the version on my dongle is 1.0 and i have tried to find a download of the newer version 2.0 but it seems it is not available for download 3 themselves have been no help what so ever.

Could any one help me out.

Ideally i need that new software v2.0 if someone here could send me it that would be much appreciated.
Hmmm, not sure what you can do there, Jim. My version 2 was automatically downloaded and installed by version 1, but if version 1 isn't working at all ...

·
Premium Member
35,822 Posts
I too have that new software Doc. The three home page loading is a pain, if you find out how to stop it please let us know. I am still looking for a more user friendly mobile software than MWconn and will post if I can find one, Thanks, Alan.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've come to terms with it now and it seems to be working better lately. Still have problems with it disconnecting itself but it reconnects automatically now. My Vodafone is far better but is very slow in Berwick and as I have no land line at the moment 3 it has to be in this area. :(

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On XP, if you right click on My Network Places on the desktop and select Properties, the Network Connections page will open. Right click on 1.3G in the Dial-up section and choose Connect. (This is done without 3Connect running.) This tip comes to you courtesy of Jacsprat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.