Motorhome Facts Forum banner
21 - 40 of 162 Posts

· Registered
2,413 Posts
Hi

DVLA do say 7.5 Tonnes, but they are ignoring the law as it is written, They are contradicting Construction and Use who say Motorhomes are not weight restricted, the very people they (DVLA) tell you to consult.

Note at the bottom of there webpage it says its only there opinion

The Local police traffic legal dept, also agree that they cant find any law to prosecute you under.

Not sure at all how you would stand abroad though, usually if its legal in your home country its legal throughout Europe. But there are several areas where this isnt strictly true. Licencing may be one of them, abroad the law is much clearer and over 7.5 Tonnes you need a higher licence, but here again I know of many people who have very large American motorhomes, they have been pulled up bith here and abroad, their licence as never been called into question.

Jonathon

Maybe their intent was that it would be limited to 7.4 tonnes on minibuses but like the motorhome it is not, for a minibus its very clear because it as its own category and is clearly defined, According to Marsham construction and Use dept the motorhome is the same.

George

· Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I've missed most of this argument, so must agree with Jonathon. I do not have an LGV license - yet. But there is no way I would drive anything bigger than our EuraMobil without one, regardless of the law.

I knocked off part of the side trim on our van. Not because I am a woman, but because I am a car driver and when you get stressed or panic you resort to pre-programming. To drive larger I need new defaults!

Lizzie

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
benandlizzie said:
I've missed most of this argument, so must agree with Jonathon. I do not have an LGV license - yet. But there is no way I would drive anything bigger than our EuraMobil without one, regardless of the law.

I knocked off part of the side trim on our van. Not because I am a woman, but because I am a car driver and when you get stressed or panic you resort to pre-programming. To drive larger I need new defaults!

Lizzie
Hi Lizzie,

I would highly recommend the LGV (C) licence, you will learn alot about driving large vehicles. There is alot to consider when driving a large vehicle which is not covered in the car test.

Take care

Jonathan

· Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Couldn't agree more Jonathon. We have looked into driving large vehicles quite a lot and it's very concerning... 1) the number of RV dealers who actively encourage you to drive one without an LGV test (they often don't have one themselves), 2) the number of people driving larger motorhomes without a class C or C+E when they legally should have one, 3) the number of people who actually think it doesn't make a difference.

It makes sense to be prepared on so many levels - you'll drive it better, bang it up less, be less likely to damage other people and property, plus your insurance will actually be valid etc...

Lizzie
(booked in for LGV medical in 2 weeks, next stop theory!)

· Registered
2,413 Posts
Hi

People often mix up what I am saying here. I dont say its right that people should Just Jump into a large vehicle and drive.

Has far as motorhomes are concerned it is legal to do so, regardless of what the DVLA tell you, they dont write the law and when asked to quote the legislation that backs up their claim they cannot their legal dept spent 6 weeks trying to find it and could only come up with GOODS vehicle law which does not apply to motorhomes (the definitions are down to construction and Use and they say that Motorhomes are NOT Goods vehicles and therefore are not weight restricted.

If you want to say everyone should take a HEAVY GOODS VEHICLE test thats fair enough, but dont try to pretend that its a legal requirement.

Re the insurance thing no insurance company as yet refused to pay out on any accident by saying that the driver needed a Higher rated licence in the 30 + years that these large motorhomes have been imported dont you think thats strange? of all the people I have known that drive them only 2 have HGV licences. and no-one as had any complaints or even a raised eyebrow from the police, The local traffic police dept have looked and can find no charge that they could bring re the licence.

What I have said all along is, that legally you are OK without the licence, the only official body that disagree's is DVLA.

Whethor its actually sensible is another thing entirely.

George

· Registered
1,076 Posts
George wrote........

People often mix up what I am saying here
........is it suprising when you make sweeping statements like this,

Re the insurance thing no insurance company as yet refused to pay out on any accident by saying that the driver needed a Higher rated licence
Having looked back at some of your posts I think your just here to wind people up, hard as it may be I am going to try and ignore your future postings.

Ian

· Registered
2,413 Posts
Hi Ian

" I think your just here to wind people up "

I could say the same of your postings lately

Please quote a case were the insurance company as refused to pay out on a large motorhome because of lack of HGV licence.

Like the last time, I asked you to furnish some rebuttal evidence rather than just saying "sweeping Statements" , I wont hold my breath awaiting any evidence to appear.

I spent ages researching this with Phone calls and faxs to

DVLA and a department of legal bods representing the DVLA

Crown prosecution service (who dropped the only case they ever tried to bring)

Dept of transport

Construction and Use (Marsham)

VOSA

Local Police Traffic Oficer (the chap the police call up to query the position on RT offences)

All of the Above depts cannot find any problem with what I say regarding the legislation Except the DVLA but the DVLA cannot show the legislation that supports their OPINION.

So can you had anything? BTW the American motorhome magazines have never heard of one claim being turned down due to licencing

If you like I can give you their phone numbers and a contact name, you could then ask them yourself, if any insurance company had ever tried it do you think they would not know ?

If you want to disagree or prove me wrong, do some research and show me and everyone else where I am wrong, your sniping doesnt help anyone.

George

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My motor insurance policy has the following disclaimer;

"Provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive a motor vehicle or has held and is not disqualified for holding or obtaining such a licence"

That statement places the onus on myself to ensure that the person driving my vehicle holds a licence or provisional licence for the vehicle being driven.

I don't know any insurance company that will pay out on a claim if they can find a way out of paying it.

· Registered
2,413 Posts
Hi Jonathon

Shall we try some Logic then ?

I don't know any insurance company that will pay out on a claim if they can find a way out of paying it.

Basically you are saying that they feel its OK to Drive a large Motorhome on nothing more than a car licence?

Seeing as they have paid out many times on large motorhomes driven by people who do not have an HGV licence, would you say thats evidence that the insurance companies believe a normal car licence is enough to drive a motorhome over 7.5 Tonnes?

George

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
GeorgeTelford said:
Hi Jonathon

Shall we try some Logic then ?

Basically you are saying that they feel its OK to Drive a large Motorhome on nothing more than a car licence?

Seeing as they have paid out many times on large motorhomes driven by people who do not have an HGV licence, would you say thats evidence that the insurance companies believe a normal car licence is enough to drive a motorhome over 7.5 Tonnes?

George
I don't know, I've never spoken to anyone who has made an insurance claim for a vehicle they are not licenced to drive?

If I was an insurance claims assessor I would want to see a copy of the driving licence, at least to establish they actually hold a licence.

But my own experience of insurance in general is they will do their best not to pay out.

· Registered
2,413 Posts
Hi Jonathon

They used to ask to see your licence after an Accident, Now they dont have to they can pay a subscription and find your licence details via a quick phone call cost per call 49 pence so now they Just ring up and check. they get the low down on points and categories.

"I don't know, I've never spoken to anyone who has made an insurance claim for a vehicle they are not licenced to drive?"

Nice play on words, but the DVLA's and a few other peoples Opinion does not alter the law as written.

If a claim had been refused due to car licence on large Motorhome then the American motorhome mags would know about it.

Ring them and ask if they know of any claim being refused on those grounds?

George

· Premium Member
5,751 Posts
:cry: I was unfortunate to have two accidents within a short period of time, whilst driving a 31ft RV. On neither of the occasions was my driving licence qualification taken into consideration, or requested.
Having taken my driving test whilst in the Army back in 1964. My old licence tells me I can drive just about anything that moves on wheels. :D

21 - 40 of 162 Posts