Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Hi Aido

Obviously you had a bad experience but it's not always the case.

Last week I had a problem with the M/H because the key code light on the immobiliser wouldn't go off after I had changed the battery. I phoned three Fiat agents who were just plain useless - or indifferent and finally my wife suggested the AA (she has home-start cover).
The man arrived within ten minutes and although he hadn't a clue what the problem was we used his laptop database to follow through all the possibilities in the electrical system. After a lot of component and wiring checking we finally managed to locate the problem - a loose connector on the anti-collision fuel cut off valve which had probably never been fully secured since the van was built. I must have disturbed the wire whilst changing the battery sufficient to break the connection. Without theA A database I would never have realised that this valve would show as a fault on the key-code immobiliser and could have spent many hours trying to locate the fault so it's thumbs up to the AA this time.

gaspode

· Registered
599 Posts
Hi

I have to say they were really good for me for nearly 25 years, and i paid up without complaining. Then i got a 17 foot 6 coachbuilt, I rang them and asked if i was covered, they simply said NO.

I asked if there was any way i could stay with them, maybe on the commercial side, they said NO.

So i left - and joined the RAC through the CC&C.

It still rankles with me because i'd been "rescued" in a car a few times by the AA, and the guys that worked for them were always really good.

Seemed a shame to leave after all those years.

Dave

· Registered
1,592 Posts
Road_Runner_644 said:
Hi

I have to say they were really good for me for nearly 25 years, and i paid up without complaining. Then i got a 17 foot 6 coachbuilt, I rang them and asked if i was covered, they simply said NO.

I asked if there was any way i could stay with them, maybe on the commercial side, they said NO.

So i left - and joined the RAC through the CC&C.

It still rankles with me because i'd been "rescued" in a car a few times by the AA, and the guys that worked for them were always really good.

Seemed a shame to leave after all those years.

Dave
Hi dave

us likewise however so far on the whole the RAC have been brilliant

Motorhomer

· Registered
1,680 Posts
I disagree too, have called out both RAC and AA recently and they were both brilliant, for someone like me on my own I feel a lot happier knowing someone is there for me.

· Registered
1,680 Posts
Thanks Drummer knew I could rely on you 8O

Think you will find that only RAC can recover MH's and that only if taken out with the C+CC club as it is a special policy for them. AA will attend vans or at least they did mine under the deal that came with the van when purchased, but don't think they can recover them. Well worth a quick tel call to check or it could be :oops: :evil: time

· Registered
1,979 Posts
I've just phoned the AA and explained that I have a van conversion MH, they say as long as the windows, fixtures and fittings are permanent? (i presume they mean a "proper conversion") and the vehicle is no more than 3.5t then they would be able to recover it.

· Registered
167 Posts
Phoned AA

I phoned the AA myself this morning. He the guy who answered seemed very helpful, but he said that if the vehicle more than 18.5ft ,3.5t, 8ft wide then it was too big. Mine is ok except for the length. He said he would "look" about for me and call back in 15mins. That was 3 hours ago. No call yet.

Ian

· Registered
2003 Timberland Freedom
5,210 Posts
I had the same problem when I tried to get cover with my 36ft American MH,
AA, RAC and Green Flag all said no.
I called the Caravan Club who advised that the Mayday Service cover ANY length and any weight. .. A call to Mayday confirmed this and at no extra cost !! Strange, as Mayday is only another name for Greenflag ..
Well done Caravan Club and Mayday.

· Registered
727 Posts
I have AA cover as part of the extended warranty on my Auto-Trail Apache (approx 22ft long). The cover is actually with AA truck rescue and A/T make the point that this removes any restriction on size and weight. I think the same applies to the AA cover contained within my Safeguard insurance policy.

· Registered
80 Posts
I have an Autotrail Apache 700 approx. 23' long and 3.85 tonnes gross. Autotrail supplied me with 12 months AA recovery and highlighted the fact that this was with the truck rescue division, ensuring that the attending vehicle would be capable of handling this size of motorhome.

trig

· Registered
393 Posts
The AA came out to us several times when we had the (old) Ducato van conversion. They never commented on it being a motorcaravan (perhaps they didn't notice, LOL). We left them though after they wanted to put up the annual fee because we'd called them out three times. All three times was for the same problem (over a period of 10 months), but they couldn't find anything wrong (garage couldn't find it either - engine would just die and refuse to start untill it felt like it, but the AA should have had the advantage as at least it wouldn't go when they were looking at it, garage were only going on our description).

Anyway, we switched to the RAC thru C&CC, fault happened again and the chap found it and fixed it (in the dark, covered with midges :roll: ) straight away, never had the problem again. (Turned out to be a wire loose)

So our experience of the AA wasn't that good but I guess breakdowns are always going to be very subjective experiences.

We always try to make them a cup of tea, at least :lol:

-H

· Registered
1,616 Posts
A.A. BAH!

Hired a mini bus a couple of years ago and went over to Ireland with 8 passengers IIRC. Broke down coming off ferry, called AA and they sent a man out. Fan belt broken (Transit 2.5d) NO SPARE ON BOARD!
3am can't get one until 8 he says!!
Will recover passengers well 5 of them CANNOT RECOVER MORE THAN 5 even though mini bus was a fifteen seater and covered for that use. So 3 people in Anglesey at 3 am freezin cold no where to go.
Some recovery, get you home organisation!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.