Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought nothing could top the two months in the south west and particularly the last three weeks at Lee Bay in Devon but here we are again in the Scottish Islands (Arran at the moment). The fabulous weather (for now) has followed us and its paradise once again. Been here since Monday and after failing to get the Kayak out even once in Devon and Cornwall mainly because of my blooming Arthritis and no easy access its been in use every day here not least because I can literally fall out the van into the sea.

Certainly the south west cannot top the abundance of wild life here. Already in just a few short days we have spotted numerous seals, Deers that come down to paddle in the sea around the van when it gets dark, Red squirrels, a distant citing of a Golden Eagle just this afternoon, a small pod of Porpoises and we spent half an hour watching a 12-14ft Basking shark circling some Paddle boarders the other day (photo included but not easy to make out).

The water here is just gin clear and you can see the bottom clearly even in 30-40ft of water.

Few pics and short video.

·
Premium Member
28,583 Posts
One way to keep cool. We are sweltering and drowning in tourists.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
They used to catch basking sharks there, I believe, their skin was very much prized for furniture making of the highest quality as it is abrasive in one direction, smooth in the other.

Have felt that on living basking sharks- they are totally harmless but we’re hunted to near extinction and persecuted simply for swimming along the coast. They have no teeth, cannot bite, but are incredible seen underwater at very close quarters. Enjoy your kayaking and keep your eyes open, they can still be seen.

Tgere was a super film taking by a canoeist last weekend of a Minke whale off a Cornish beach (about 6 miles off). Those I have never seen close up.

·
Premium Member
32,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, Barry, just wow!

Must get up there for a holiday. Would like a lodge type holiday. Any ideas?
We used to regularly rent a lodge at Kildonan on the south east corner but not sure if it's still rentable. Most of the properties to rent are traditional cottages etc. We have stayed in many before we got the motorhome. You are spoilt for choice though really. When I have a better connection I'll see what I can find.

·
Premium Member
32,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They used to catch basking sharks there, I believe, their skin was very much prized for furniture making of the highest quality as it is abrasive in one direction, smooth in the other.

Have felt that on living basking sharks- they are totally harmless but we’re hunted to near extinction and persecuted simply for swimming along the coast. They have no teeth, cannot bite, but are incredible seen underwater at very close quarters. Enjoy your kayaking and keep your eyes open, they can still be seen.

Tgere was a super film taking by a canoeist last weekend of a Minke whale off a Cornish beach (about 6 miles off). Those I have never seen close up.
Apparently in 1937 right here a huge Basking Shark capsized a boat and three people drowned Dave. So not completely harmless!

I'm pretty sure if I encounter one out in the kayak once I compose myself I'll be getting the camera out though. :D

I'm hoping the Dolphins we encountered for two weeks last August will return. Signs are good as we saw a small pod of porpoises yesterday.

·
Premium Member
32,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for pics Barry.

What is the water temperature, or haven't you dared except for launching?
Apparently according to our friends nextdoor (fellow wild campers) one of which swims everyday here, water is 16c. I don't know if that's cold but it feels cold to me so no, not been in yet but I will do. Maybe today!

Question for Dave or anyone who knows. There are one or two humongous jelly fish just floating on the surface. Michelle and I were out in the kayak yesterday and found one. It's tenticals flowing behind it must have been 15ft long. Are they dead? Looked dead when I prodded it gently with an oar. Presumably even dead they can still sting?

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
Yes, even dead the cells can sting IF the tentacles have stinging cells…. Not all do…

The largest aka dustbin jelly fish because that is an accurate depiction of their size, do not have stinging cells that can affect people.

I used to hold them for a very slow ride as they pulse.

They cannot survive if the sea warms up at all, which can happen locally due to currents and rocks etc., they are actually not one animal, but are effectively a composite of very many, working together for one aim.

·
Premium Member
32,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for pics Barry.

What is the water temperature, or haven't you dared except for launching?
Apparently according to our friends nextdoor (fellow wild campers) one of which swims everyday here, water is 16c. I don't know if that's cold but it feels cold to me so no, not been in yet but I will do. Maybe today!

Question for Dave or anyone who knows. There are one or two humongous jelly fish just floating on the surface. Michelle and I were out in the kayak yesterday and found one. It's tenticals flowing behind it must have been 15ft long. Are they dead? Looked dead when I prodded it gently with an oar. Presumably even dead they can still stu
Traditional cottage will do fine :) Won't be spoilt for choice when I ask for dog friendly I expect :(
I'm a bit out of touch with self catering and which sites to use as it will be about 15 years since we last used them and my internet connection is awful here.

This site might work and there is a dog friendly filter. As for where to stay it depends what you like. The western side of the Island which looks out to Kintyre is rugged and much quieter than the Eastern coast, not that it's busy over there but the eastern coast has more going on. All the larger villages are on the eastern side like Corrie, Brodick, Lamlash and whiting bay. The further north on the island the more mountainous it gets. Often described as Scotland in miniature. I think our favourite place is probably Lochranza just around the corner from where we are now. It's fabulous. Not so many self catering properties there though.

·
Premium Member
17,199 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope you wear a life jacket, I know you are a good swimmer, but if one of them thar sharks tips you out
maybe you’d panic. I don’t like the sound of those dead jellyfish after learning about my rivers HUGE problem.

I probably should wear one but I never do. I stopped wearing them in my early 20s when I rowed an ancient wooden dinghy the full length of the Caledonian canal including loch Ness for charity. Midway through loch Ness my backside ached that much I took it off and sat on it. Had I not, I never would have completed it. 🤣 The buoyancy aids I see people wear now don't look like they would float a seagull to be honest.

·
Premium Member
32,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fabulous pictures Barry! Thank you. I've not been on any of the western islands except Iona, Mull n Skye.
Not done Iona but done loads of others. About 18 I think including Orkney and Shetland. I always wanted to visit Col and Tiree but they are difficult to get to and not very big I don't think.

I think I read they are the sunniest places in the UK or something like that.

·
Premium Member
32,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing good lasts forever! :D

Our delightful neighbours left the stunning wild spot we were parked at all week yesterday while we were out all afternoon on the bike. they were brilliant. He had emigrated from Orleans in France in 86 and become a Scot and he and the two ladies (one in her own little van) he was with were terrific wilding companions. We went Kayaking together and talked about all sorts. I tried to tempt them to stay before we went out for the day but they had work commitments and had to go. Anyway on our return they had been replaced by two aging vans and bizarrely a flat bed transit with what can only be described as a scrap yard loaded in the back of it parked right behind our van. :unsure: No bother we thought, lets see how it goes.

By eight o'clock though a genny had started up and also the transit van which was just left running, out came the crates of beer which of course is fine but the final straw was a massive fire of greenery on the beach just ten yards from our van. Whether it was a tactic to deter midges I dont know but it stank and was clearly going to be a prominent inferno for the foreseeable. by 9pm we made the decision to leave. In typical team Hank fashion we were packed up and the bike on and away in eight minutes. :D As we drove round the bay the smoke had literally filled the entire valley inshore.

Now parked up in Lochranaza where we had a delightful peaceful smoke free night.

The joys of wild camping I suppose. I gather summer is over after today also. It was good while it lasted. :D

1 - 20 of 93 Posts