Motorhome Facts Forum banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,820 Posts
Most of the bits I remember were offshore a little, often near isolated rocks, tidal stream off shore about 200m can be vicious, we had to calculate EXACTLY when slack water would be, often only a 10 minute window before it would be flowing faster than could swim….. Not at LW or HW either, needed to use a tidal atlas, a chart and a calculator to make sure, otherwise would dive at “HMS Vicinity”. If we did miss it, you could fly over flat sand…. Dead boring !

Are you venturing beyond Penzance ? Some lovely coves on both N and S coasts. eg Lamorna or Sennen, Portgwarra, Minnack Theatre also worth looking at some good cliff walks around there for Michelle too.

·
Premium Member
31,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Most of the bits I remember were offshore a little, often near isolated rocks, tidal stream off shore about 200m can be vicious, we had to calculate EXACTLY when slack water would be, often only a 10 minute window before it would be flowing faster than could swim….. Not at LW or HW either, needed to use a tidal atlas, a chart and a calculator to make sure, otherwise would dive at “HMS Vicinity”. If we did miss it, you could fly over flat sand…. Dead boring !

Are you venturing beyond Penzance ? Some lovely coves on both N and S coasts. eg Lamorna or Sennen, Portgwarra, Minnack Theatre also worth looking at some good cliff walks around there for Michelle too.
Will be moving to a CL between Penzance and st Ives Thursday morning Dave. That will be our last one in that direction before heading north east. I'm hoping it's a good one and we can spend a week or so there if there is enough to do. We can get to anywhere on the bike from there from Falmouth to lands end but won't bother with the latter as it's totally ruined now. Any suggestions for walks etc welcome or picturesque rides out

·
Premium Member
22,820 Posts
Walking to the Minnack gives excellent views, irrespective of whether you are heading East or West, but the sunset to the West makes evening viewing highly desirable. You can park the scooter easily virtually anywhere EXCEPT Lands End, whichhas now become a privat owned money-spinner. BUT it is foc if you walk in from either side eg Sennen or Porthgwarra and then walk to Land’s End. You, or Michelle, can walk sections of the SW Coastal footpath all the way round - so you could drop Michelle at eg Porthgwarra and pick her up at Sennen, although that means she will walk alone…. Cue “You’ll Never Walk Alone”

·
Premium Member
31,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Thats useful to know Dave. I didnt realise you could walk into Lands End FOC so Ive plotted the walk between those two points. I hardly can walk anywhere now so Michelle will do it alone. She wasnt that keen to go down to Lands end because she considers it a bit barren and bleak but she has never done the coastal walk there so probably not seen it properly.

·
Premium Member
22,820 Posts
Hope she enjoys the walk, some details here from the commercial side, even they stress you ONLY pay for parking there (condition of sale);

This is from the Cornwall Tourist Assiciation, it stresses Land’s End is FREE except for parking.

·
Premium Member
31,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Thanks Dave. Will read later back at the van. She enjoyed the walk up from Padstow up to Hawkers cove. Not far but pleasant and a lovely ride round the coast down to Newquay which is as crap as I remember. Nice out on the point though. Taken just now where im currently sat.

screen shot on pc

·
Premium Member
31,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
That sea looks very inviting to me - looks calm and clear, bet the surfers at Newquay are less happy than you two are !
There were a few breakers on the other bay behind me. Didn't see any surfers though. Heading west in a few minutes if the van starts. All being well we will be exploring Penzance and Marizion area later. Tide will be in I think so no walk for Michelle across to the mount.

·
Premium Member
27,777 Posts
We stayed at Marizion 40 years ago in a beautiful cottage overlooking the bay and Mt St Michael. Spindrift Lodge as I remember It featured in a film about Germans and a U-Boat. We had an enormous American Ford station wagon with 9 seats and room for the dog. Great for touring Cornwall and the small lanes.

Ray.

Reactions: barryd

·
Premium Member
22,820 Posts
There were a few breakers on the other bay behind me. Didn't see any surfers though. Heading west in a few minutes if the van starts. All being well we will be exploring Penzance and Marizion area later. Tide will be in I think so no walk for Michelle across to the mount.
Yes, High Tide 1345 and 4.3m so it would be a very wet walk across to St Michael’s Mount. Nice plzfe to explore if the tide times are correct. It is National Trust now, I believe, you can get there by boat - it departs from different places depending on the tide;

Enjoy your day. Hope Hank behaves.

·
Premium Member
31,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Hank started fine. It seems to be after he has been running a while then if you stop for fuel etc he struggles to start which is odd. Sounds like the battery but maybe something else so I just keep it running. :D

Anyway. Easy 39 mile journey and we are here. Not bad for a fiver a night.

·
Premium Member
22,820 Posts
We are sat inside, watching BBC in the middle of a very long thunderstorm, it started at around 1000 and has already lasted 2 1/2 hours with torrential rain.

We may well decide to give up being away as it is senseless to sit in a field, paying for the privilege while we could do the same at home for free…… The weather forecast is grim for the next five days and we were due home in four anyway, so why try to fight the inevitable ?

Glad that Hank is appreciating its holiday too - to think of your threats earlier in the year….. you have to be kind to him and think positively.

·
Premium Member
31,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
We are sat inside, watching BBC in the middle of a very long thunderstorm, it started at around 1000 and has already lasted 2 1/2 hours with torrential rain.

We may well decide to give up being away as it is senseless to sit in a field, paying for the privilege while we could do the same at home for free…… The weather forecast is grim for the next five days and we were due home in four anyway, so why try to fight the inevitable ?

Glad that Hank is appreciating its holiday too - to think of your threats earlier in the year….. you have to be kind to him and think positively.
Where are you Dave? Lovely here but it's set to change from tomorrow sadly.

I am kind to Hank! I just had to brasso his side windows after taking out most of the foiliage getting to the CL. They really are that narrow!

I'm here now. I declare this place Rock God Bingo Castle for my own!

·
Premium Member
22,820 Posts
What beautiful pictures you have taken, brings back many happy memories of investigating numerous sites in that bay. We are currently South of Bergerac and the rain has just stopped, well at least for now…..

Actual stream running across the road due to the weather but we are coping, at least our Kontiki is happy 😀

·
Premium Member
31,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Should be Scorchio in the Dordogne by now although I don't know why I'm saying that as I know only too well you can have days like that down there even in late June.

Sadly after a rake around Penzance I am now sat outside Morrisons after Tesco failed to provide whatever it is Michelle is looking for. A hot chicken I think :D

·
Premium Member
22,820 Posts
I could recount a long story of being stuck in Penzance for five days when I only expected to be there for a few hours. Tesco’s were able to supply shirts for myself and a Barrister - also a friend and there for the same thing….

Penzance in October has little to recommend it IMO. Particularly as I could not get back to Exeter after 1800 on the Saturday…,, that journey took me nearly 11 hours to complete…. But HM Justice Dept., did pay basic expenses - not a lot I can assure you and the Barrister was very much under compensated….

81 - 100 of 110 Posts