Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking of using an A frame to tow a Suzuki Carry van behind my motorhome. Does anyone have any experience of this method of towing?

Regards,

Ian.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Peedee,

I saw your photo of you towing a small car. I am a bit worried about the wear and tear to the vehicle being towed. Do the front wheels experience any wheel wobble on the towed vehicle? Will any damage be caused to the steering mechanism of the towed vehicle?

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks,

Ian.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
I have been towing mine for 4 years now without any problems. There is certainly no evidence at the moment to suggest any problems, not even tyre wear but I would have your front wheel alignment checked beforehand as steering is reliant on this..

I tow about 600 to 700 miles a year, just depends where I am going. As you may know the legality of using an "A Frame" is a grey area in this country but I have never been stopped by the police. I have never take it on the continent where
it is only legally recognised in Holland. Some say the police turn a blind eye to
GB vehicles towing with it others have said they have been stopped and asked to
unhook. They have simply driven them as seperate vehicles for 20miles or so and hooked up again! I cannot do this being a single driver so don't risk taking it to the continent where they're much more motorhome friendly and car hire is cheaper.

peedee

·
Registered
28 Posts
towing ---now there's a myth gatherer. For facts

take a look at http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/towing.shtml
dont forget to clik on the purple "NOTES" at the bottom
of the article

also www.towtal.co.uk where you will find a downloadable
fact sheet ---just clik on A-FRAMES.
I think all you want to know is listed here.
On the Continent ?--- ring "old " Bill at Towtal (the guvnr)
he's been dragging all over Europe for the last
30 years.

regards
BB

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
You pays your money and you makes your choice :) :) :)

Last I heard the subject was being debated by EU Parliment with respect to deciding whether to make it legal across the EEC or not. The fact is it is illegal in several EEC countries notably Spain and you can only get away with it by virtue of if it is "legal" in the country of origin it is considered legal whilst visiting another member state.

Now what is the position in Switzerland???? :) :) :) :) :)

peedee

·
Registered
845 Posts
hi triango

have towed my 4x4's all over the uk on aframes , towed vehicle will happily follow you as long as the steering geometry is ok ( tracking and alignment ) just remember to take it easy on the roundabouts and brake evenly if its an unbraked frame , my biggest worry was getting lost and having to reverse but like most worries it never actually happened . enjoy !
cheers
kenny+stella

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for all your comments and advice. I'm going to take the plunge and get it done by Towtal. I've just returned from a couple of days in Wales where we took the little Suzuki with us (my wife driving it in convoy). It was great having the ability to settle into a site and use the little van for nipping about. I know that some will say I might as well have a car pulling a caravan, but the motorhome will be used by itself for the short days out as normal.

Once again, thanks.

Ian.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.