Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that all the other members of my household say "yuck" when I make a beetroot sandwich for my lunch?

They don't know what they're missing. :D

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Had beet oot sarnies from being a nipper. A splosh of salad cream on top.

Naana butties are brill with a sprinkling of sugar, Or mush a nana on a plate , a splash of cream, sprinkling of sugar and mush up together, then onto bread & butter.

Poverty brings out the best recipes

dave p

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I love freshly cooked beetroot. Not so keen on the beetroot in a jar surrounded on both sides by vinegar.

My dear Mum used to cook these straight from Dads allotment and leave them on the window ledge to cool. Bizarly Suzie my cat took a liiking for fresh beetroot and took a few large bites out of them.

This cat we think died of alcholic abuse as she loved a gin an tonic for a treat and licked the lemon after. 8O

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
What was the cat called Pusser Tipples!!

Beetroot is good for blood pressure and is also an aphrodisiac.
Mind you it was the last thing that caused my problem with the first :lol:

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
As kids we new what day it was from what was for tea.

Monday leftover beef from Sunday
Tuesday pork chops
Wednesday Mincemeat
Thursday potted beef sarnies
Friday Fish
Saturdaybraised steak
Sunday Beef

same routine for donkeys years.

Dave p

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
bigfoot said:
What was the cat called Pusser Tipples!!

Beetroot is good for blood pressure and is also an aphrodisiac.
Mind you it was the last thing that caused my problem with the first :lol:
:D :D In those days I never for a minute thought I would end up with such a stupid nick name as that. :(

I've tried this and other aphrodisiacs but my hair still remains the same; bald. :( and not a fuzzy hair in sight.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DTPCHEMICALS said:
As kids we new what day it was from what was for tea.

Monday leftover beef from Sunday............

same routine for donkeys years.

Dave p
Blimey - you must have been rich!
The only beef in our house was the corned variety.

Out of interest - did you know that "corn" in corned beef refers the grains of salt in it?

·
Registered
870 Posts
At the end of the war dad was demobbed.

On his first day home we had corned beef to celebrate, for us it was a treat, dad had been eating it almost everyday whilst in hospital in Holland.

One special which I enjoyed was a condensed milk sandwich as afters on Sunday. Not something I could face to-day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good old saying from back home:

You can beet an egg but you can't beet a root...... :wink:

It really tops off a sandwich and should be compulsory in hamburgers (IMHO).

Excellant roasted under a nice beef roast too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
ThePrisoner said:
Poverty brings out the best recipes
No truer word spoken. My late Granny loved peeling an orange then making a sandwich of it. War time rationing made one work with what they had.

As for beetroot, yum yum I say. Same goes for lovely mushed up banana sandwiches too.

The other day I had 2 rounds of bread 'buttered' with lashings of eye watering English mustard instead, freshly sliced beef, grated cheese and a large slice of pineapple and then lots of black pepper sprinkled on top of the pineapple. The taste and texture was sublime. If I had thought of beetroot I would have added that too!

Shane.....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.