Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To prevent disasters such as we have had I wondered if e.g 5 maybe 10 trusted members (with adsl) can be responsible for allocated portions of the site and download their portion on a minimum weekly basis to their PC, thus giving us overall a backup of the entire website.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:D That is certainly a VERY GOOD IDEA Pusser. Although I don't know whether it is possible to download in sections? I certainly think it would be worth investigating. :wink:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Pusser said:
To prevent disasters such as we have had I wondered if e.g 5 maybe 10 trusted members (with adsl) can be responsible for allocated portions of the site and download their portion on a minimum weekly basis to their PC, thus giving us overall a backup of the entire website.
Before an upgrade Dave did last year when he wasnt sure whether info would be safe we downloade a lot of the downloads like the aires file & campsite info etc just incase for our own use. Thought we still had it but George deleted it all when the site upgraded ok. Shame . Never mind. We will all have to report what we find on our future trips wont we.

Motorhomer

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Pusser said:
Pusser I have enough trouble in my life with my partner being able to read my mind! :lol:

Now_you_come up with exactly what I was thinking 2 days ago. I thought at that time I would suggest it when Dave has had time to relax.

The other thing that struck me was whether I could use a program which is able to download the whole of a site and do a download. Was it Black Widow was mentioned a while ago?
It was mentioned in the context of downloading any website onto the laptop to take on tour to access information on campsites, aires etc

Just a thought as home computers have such large HD's nowadays. The new one we have just bought has 2 x 250 GB.

There must be something we can do to help in the future.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It is a brilliant idea. I don't have a lot of disc space as such but would be willing to do my bit. We would have to have a couple of people for each section in case one was away or whatever. Maybe even alternate weeks or something, but anyway a good starting point Pusser.

Stick with the new pills for awhile :wink: they seem to be working :D

·
Vendor
18,541 Posts
Hi Gang,
whilst i appreciate the sentiment, im afraid a lot of the important stuff on MHF cant be backed up in this way such as the user database and the forum posts, well not in a way i could utilise to import back into the system in the event of any issues in the future.

The sections that can be backed up are the downloads, faqs etc etc. and by all means grab local copies of any of those files :)

on the same subject the Downloads section is live and people are slowly re-populating it as it does allow you to upload the files now :)

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:cry: That's what I was thinking. ie, that it wasn't possible to download in parts. Although I did say I didn't know whether it was or not possible. Is there no part of the PHP software that will allow data to be exported and imported at a later date?

·
Vendor
18,541 Posts
Hi John, the important data is held with MySQL a database, there are ways and means of exporting this, and in fact one of our members who runs a hosting company is going to act as a secondary for the server so that all information gets replicated to his server nightly thereby giving us a complete offsite backup of the important data :)

I also now do an offsite passive ftp transfer of the account information etc from the base Os to allow me a faster rebuild time, plus of course my second HD (Different manufacturer) that has a backup copy of both the database files and the accounts :)

Belts and braces this time around !!!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:D I thought there might be a way around it nukeadmin. MySQL has been around for some time. My knowledge is of the old DBase and before. We used to have to write batch files in DOS. There is always a way round software, but like you say, it needs a belt and braces approach. The main thing is to prepare for the unexpected and hope and pray it never happens. I have to be honest, in the past I didn't make back-ups and wasted countless hours of work due to a computer crash. Now I usually keep 3 copies of all my important files all on different drives and on different computers. Good luck with the recovery. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.