Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We spent a very nice day at Passau, a city on the confluence of the Danube and the Inn. Lots of interesting buildings including the Dom, a wonderful Baroque cathedral with the largest church organ outside the USA.

We stayed on a small but busy aire (€8 + €1 EHU) and walked through a tunnel and along a major road to the city. It was windy and fumy which affected my good lady's asthma but the views along the river were interesting. Leaving quite early the next morning, we saw the river wreathed in mist with tour boats standing out like ghosts.

Gordon

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We first met the Danube at Tuttlingen, where there is a large stellplatz adjacent to a quite narrow river!

Several friends have done river cruises from lower down the river and Jane MacDonald had one of her "Cruising with.." trips IF you are interested in those aspects.

Gordon

·
Premium Member
17,212 Posts
We spent a very nice day at Passau, a city on the confluence of the Danube and the Inn. Lots of interesting buildings including the Dom, a wonderful Baroque cathedral with the largest church organ outside the USA.

We stayed on a small but busy aire (€8 + €1 EHU) and walked through a tunnel and along a major road to the city. It was windy and fumy which affected my good lady's asthma but the views along the river were interesting. Leaving quite early the next morning, we saw the river wreathed in mist with tour boats standing out like ghosts.

Gordon
:eek:ccasion7:

Any photos?

·
Premium Member
15,921 Posts
Ive come across the Danube quite often in my travels, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, and Belgrade also Visegrad on the famous Danube Bend. Wonderful free wild parking spot on the bank of the river in a huge deserted car park that gives a wonderfully romanitic view to the city of Bratislava on the other side. The river is a star of Budapest but in Belgrade or Beograd you won't know it was there unless you go to the industrial areas and docks.

·
Premium Member
17,212 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
One of our favourite visits entailed a day trip from Vienna by bus to Bratislava then a guided tour around the city. The return was via the hydrofoil back to Vienna along the river.
Normally we would simply move on from place to place but that made a pleasant difference!:smile2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,341 Posts
One of our favourite visits entailed a day trip from Vienna by bus to Bratislava then a guided tour around the city. The return was via the hydrofoil back to Vienna along the river.
Normally we would simply move on from place to place but that made a pleasant difference!:smile2:
Ted

Thanks. Do you happen to know if it can be done the other way, i.e. starting in Bratislava to visit Vienna? Any links to company or tourist office etc.,please?

Geoff

·
Premium Member
13,341 Posts
Ive come across the Danube quite often in my travels, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, and Belgrade also Visegrad on the famous Danube Bend. Wonderful free wild parking spot on the bank of the river in a huge deserted car park that gives a wonderfully romanitic view to the city of Bratislava on the other side. The river is a star of Budapest but in Belgrade or Beograd you won't know it was there unless you go to the industrial areas and docks.
Dick

You are confusing me a bit. You mention Visegrad, I am assuming Hungary, and a CP with views to Bratislava, but it seems a long way to Bratislava.

Could you sort out my geography please?

Geoff

·
Premium Member
13,341 Posts
I am doing this in several posts as it relates to different sub-categories in this Danube thread.

From S. Poland we are not very far from the Danube and Bratislava so I am planning on a visit there and Vienna, which I have visited many years ago - girlfriend there - and like, city and girlfriend.

In my research I came across this nugget for tolls in Slovakia; for Category M vehicles, which includes MHs (Category M, Special Purpose, but normally on UK V5c just M) if the seating is for less than 9 persons incl. driver the MH is exempt from tolls. I do not mind paying but the boxes in different countries and the admin of contracts and pre-payment, or giving bank details, and reclaiming puts me off, so exemption for me is welcome. I researched Austria hoping for similar but no luck.

Slowakia is nice and quite easy for wildcamping. We frequently visit the Tatra Mts.(more hills really compared with the Alps) but do not have to use tolls from here so the info was new to us.

I shall be glad when the EETS(European Electronic Toll System) is fully operationa, but might get short of breath waiting.

Please keep more info on the Danube and surrounds coming.

Geoff

·
Premium Member
15,921 Posts
Dick

You are confusing me a bit. You mention Visegrad, I am assuming Hungary, and a CP with views to Bratislava, but it seems a long way to Bratislava.

Could you sort out my geography please?

Geoff
Possibly my punctuation rather than geography has confused you Geoff, apologies. Bratislava and the car park are as you say miles away from Viserad (Hungary). Magnificent views from both though, across the Danube to the city in Slovakia and down from the historical hill top castle to the Danube Bend in Hungary. Both taken in on a leisurely drive though the Balkans to Greece. I had planned to follow the River into Bulgaria but the weather looked problematic (Dec) so decided to avoid mountainous Romania because of the threat of snow and headed down through Serbia and FYROM hence the exploration of Beograd.

Reactions: nicholsong

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,212 Posts
I am being selfish, I just want to keep this thread visible as I may need to ask questions.

I want to find stellplatz in the area, first of all I must find place names in the areas I may want to visit.

·
Premium Member
15,921 Posts
I am being selfish, I just want to keep this thread visible as I may need to ask questions.

I want to find stellplatz in the area, first of all I must find place names in the areas I may want to visit.
Have you tried Bordatlas and CampingCarInfos Jan? I would look myself but my subs have run out on both. Bordatlas would probably be best for Germany. I found in the past that the reviews were pretty fair, you can also search on their maps that doesn't require place names. There is also Campercontact again my subs are out.

Reactions: JanHank

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Hi Jan

A vast river, where abouts do you want to visit?

Have been to it's source near Donaueshingen a few years ago.

In fact we were on it this year, did a tour sept up until 22 Oct. places like Tuttlingen, Lauingen, and the Donnau- Main canal

Ian

·
Premium Member
15,921 Posts
Room for a fact? There is a continous cycle path from the mouth of the Loire to the mouth of the Danube. The longest in Europe I think.

·
Premium Member
17,212 Posts
Hi Jan

A vast river, where abouts do you want to visit?
Have been to it's source near Donaueshingen a few years ago.
In fact we were on it this year, did a tour sept up until 22 Oct. places like Tuttlingen, Lauingen, and the Donnau- Main canal
Ian
Oh this is a nice surprise Ian :grin2: I have missed you very much.

Thank you and Ted and Glandwr for your tips, I was going to have a look today, but got waylaid with other things.
I do have a Bord Atlas book, Heike and I called it the Lie book because it was wrong so many times about places being quiet.
I also have camper contact and search for site, but not sure if they are still working.
We never used to plan trips, just knew where we were heading with no specific route plan, but that was when I had a guide sitting in the passenger seat who sort of knew the lay of the land :laugh: Now of course I have to know where I am going before I start off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.