Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of throwing in the towel with my Peugeot Boxer Motorhome as the latest mod to the gearbox has been a disaster. Unfortunately the market is swamped with Fiat Boxer base units and I would rather give up Motorhoming altogether rather than buy another one of these crap units.

I was thinking about a new Ford or VW based unit but the only one I have found is the Ford based Roller Team.

Any help would be most appreciated

Regards

johnc

PS I cant delete on this window, I can backspace delet but not using the delete button.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi We have a Chausson Flash 03 (2008) on a transit and it is great.

It's our first motorhome so i can't compare against others but plenty of power. I think it was rated as the best base in MMM at the beginning of the year.

Spence

·
Registered
361 Posts
Our Eura Mobil is Transit based and I wouldn't have it any other way. Like Spence, it is our first MH. But the combination of cheaper servicing, plentiful dealers and the perennial Fiat engine compartment water leaks and reverse clutch judder convinced me that the Transit was best. It has been absolutely fine.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
MMM Team chief vehicle tester Dave Hurrell has a new tardis on a new Tranny specially made to his design by Nu Venture. I have had a ride in it and it goes like a bl...y rocket!!

Thinking back to Newbury, not one member of the MMM team there had a Fiat. Does that say something?

C.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Just like helvic/Steve, we too have a Ford Transit MK7 2.2 130 based Hymer Van522.

Once you get used to the stalling when pulling off in 1st it is a lovely drive.

Now it is run in (@11,000 miles) we rarely stall it and the fuel consumption is up to 33mpg! For a 3.5T brick!

We have had absolutely no base vehicle problems and have had it serviced twice in two years, way under the milage service points, just to keep the guarantee going.

We find that we go much faster and overtake easier in the MH than in our other car, a little Peugeot 206 1.1litre.

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
Hi;

I had a Hymervan on the Mk6 Tranny. Like others, we stalled it in first gear a few times but once we got used to using extra revs it wasn't a big deal.
The biggest problem we did have was with the window demisters, they were next to useless unless the fan was on full pelt, not sure if the Mk7 has the same problem though.

Pete

·
Registered
230 Posts
We have the Auto Sleeper Duetto based on a Mk7 2.4 van, 07 reg, it goes like a rocket, 6 gears, 32-33 mpg, huge payload, no problems at all, we love it. (rear wheel drive)

We live at the top of a cul-de-sac with a fairly steep hill, it will reverse up very sedately with both feet off the pedals on tickover. I have lost count of the Fords I have had starting with a Zerhyr 6 in 1965 and have never had a problem with any of them.

Best wishes

Peter D

·
Registered
294 Posts
i have a 08 rollerteam autoroller 700 with the 140bhp transit its got plenty of power good on juice around 30mpg this is our second m/h we had a lunar champ a551 with a fiat ducato on an 04 it was the 1.9 and as flat as a fart, glad we now have the transit if you need to know anything about the same model as mine just as.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Same as the above except ours is the 600G , RWD, twin wheels, cruise control on a Transit 350L. Just over 2 years old, done around 22,000 and got use to gear ratio.

Lovely to drive even for me, problem with turbo which we had replaced under warranty , runs like a dream , we get around 25mpg but ours works hard due to weight both front and rear :oops:

We didn't really have a clue what we wanted in the base vehicle when we bought the van just liked what it had interior wise and knew we needed a large garage, so glad we found this one. Never getting stuck in muddy fields is one of the best benefits.

Mandy

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
johnc said:
I am thinking of throwing in the towel with my Peugeot Boxer Motorhome as the latest mod to the gearbox has been a disaster. Unfortunately the market is swamped with Fiat Boxer base units and I would rather give up Motorhoming altogether rather than buy another one of these crap units.

I was thinking about a new Ford or VW based unit but the only one I have found is the Ford based Roller Team.

Any help would be most appreciated

Regards

johnc

PS I cant delete on this window, I can backspace delet but not using the delete button.
Many thanks to all who replied, certainly food for thought so will be going the rounds over next few weeks.

Regards
JohnC

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I can also vouch for the transit chassis/engine.
Ours is great, 32mpg and very spritely!

That said we are thinking of jumping ships to a fiat.... only because we can't get the layout we want in anything other than Fiat/Merc.

PS the only trouble we have had was the PAS hose, which didn't breakdown but was weeping. It is a common problem on Fords'

Check out Ford Transit Forum for more info.

Wilse

·
Registered
607 Posts
My Burstner Nexxo is on a Transit and can't fault it.
This is my second Transit as I bought a van first time and did my own conversion on a MK6 which is one reason I picked a Tranny again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
FORD TRANSIT MK7

We have recently bought a Geist motorhome on a Transit chassis, 2.4 140bhp rear wheel drive .Drives well once you get used to initial pull away.Traded in a 2 year old Fiat x250, too much hassle couldnt live with the problemns as spoiling enjoyment

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have just changed our van from a 2005 Rimor based on a Ford Transit RWD chassis to a new Rimor on the updated Transit RWD chassis.

Over the last 4 years our Rimor was excellent, being reliable and the transit was great.

The new one is a revelation in terms of driving and refinement. The Rimor is good value and reasonably well put together.

There are also some good deals out there.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.