Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if the technology side of things seem to be taking a step backwards here but does anyone use CB radios?

We use them within our Mini Club but was just wondering how you could set one up in a GRP Motorhome body. I know that the 'ground' of aerial normally uses the body of a metal vehicle but what about the GRP? how would you go about it?
Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Hi Jiffyman

From what I remember of my radio days, you do indeed need a reasonable ground plane for good TX performance. You could mount the antenna on a metal plate affixed to the roof (about 60cm square should suffice). Alternatively if you connect the screening from your antenna lead to the vehicle chassis then this should provide a good ground plane also.

Does anyone still use CB, I thought it was old hat these days? Basically a good idea ruined by idiots.

Gaspode

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Konw what you mean about the idiots.
We use them mainly in convoy on Mini runs across the country. Keeps everyone in touch with each other.

Was thinking about the chassis as a good ground point, but as we are ripping out the interior of the van soon, i was wondering whether adhering some copper strip around the roof of the 'van and attaching this as a ground plane would do?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Hi Jiffyman

Don't know how a copper strip would work, but if you're stripping out the van, why not glue a sheet of very thin aluminiun on the underside of the roof then bolt your antenna through it?

Gaspode

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hi Jiffyman

Your idea is sound, your aerial will still work mounted on a grp section of the van, but will work better if you give it some grounding to work against, or a ground plane by putting some metal underneath it. For a ground plane either copper strip or tin foil under the base of the aerial. To ground it more efficiently the shortest run possible of thickish wire from the base of the aerial running back to the chassis of the vehicle.

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
I mount mine on the wing mirror of the metal cab which gives it a good ground.
CB is not much used these days. The mobile phone has largely made it obsolete.
I switched mine on last weekend for the first time in ages and all I got was amateur radio enthusiasts on long distance comms and nobody responded to my requests for a traffic report. 5 years ago I would have had an instant response.

They are still very good for travelling in "convoy" with another motorhomer especially on the continent although strictly speaking a UK set is illegal in many countries. The typical range is up to 6 miles and it saves on expensive phone calls via a UK mobile just to consult with a buddy on where to stop etc..

peedee

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for your replies,
Couldn't mount it on the door or cab as the cab is GRP too!!!!

Could get some ally sheet, then again, its not far to the chassis either.

Cheers for your help anyway, much appreciated

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I use a gutter mount and a three prong ground plane whish screw inbetween the antenna base and the mounting socket. I bought them from a truck shop. I would expect somewhere like Roadpro or Maplins would do the same. Or drop in at a BP truckstop, they usually do goodies for truckers.
BTW the idiots are now either Radio hams or computer hackers!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just wondering, has CB sort of been overtaken by PMR446, we use handheld transeivers with up to 3miles range when we are in convoy. Useful if on motorways and also quite good for communication on site, maybe a little iffy in built up areas, but then so was our CB. As small as a mobile phone but with no charges. Should we not be able to reach anothers location on air we use Mobile Phone for backup.
Interestingly we don't seem to have the idiot problem with them that we used to have with CB, the factor that stopped us continuing with it.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Paulway said:
Just wondering, has CB sort of been overtaken by PMR446, we use handheld transeivers with up to 3miles range when we are in convoy. Useful if on motorways and also quite good for communication on site, maybe a little iffy in built up areas, but then so was our CB. As small as a mobile phone but with no charges. Should we not be able to reach anothers location on air we use Mobile Phone for backup.
Interestingly we don't seem to have the idiot problem with them that we used to have with CB, the factor that stopped us continuing with it.
Got to agree mobiles and hand-held transceivers 'walkie-talkies' are more commonly used nowadays, transcievers are good to take off site too when at a large function.

M&D

·
Registered
222 Posts
I still use CB as a back-up between our motorhome, and our little towcar.

It's cheap, effective (especially where there is no phone signal!!) and I've not had any problems with the 'bucketmouths' of the 80's......

You can buy 'electronic no-groundplane' kits and the like, but my advice is to fix about 4' square of thin sheet metal (well 'hammerited'!) to the roof using Sikaflex, and have a good, sturdy mag mount with a flexi antenna (don't go for a fibreglass whip, it will die quickly!!)

Most of the nutters have now gone, and although the CB is very quiet these days, I still pick up the odd 'RTA' report, especially on the remote roads up in the highlands.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have one fitted to my Laika i was not around in the 80s ( i was but i was a bit yound for the CB) not heard any one on it so far but then again i havent realy tried. what channels are best to use?

·
Registered
167 Posts
We fitted a standard mirror mount, clamped onto the top rung of the metal ladder at the rear of our Autosleeper coachbuilt and have used screw in antenna for CB, 2 metre and 40metre Ham radio wihout any problems. Probably not perfect but adequate for most people.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
When in Cornwall this summer we met up with some Italians touring in convoy they were using CB's and had the antenna clipped onto the bonnets of their vans, looked like they could be removed if necessary especially as one of them was renting.

We have got walkie talkies for the van and the car so if taking both, we can talk to each other without running up phone bills, also handy when parked up, can call the kids back for dinner or find out where they are. :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got round the ground plane problem by bolting a shaped bracket onto the underside of the bonnet hinges,shaped so that it emerges between the bonnet and wing, the cb aerial then bolts onto the bracket,so no need for drilling etc,and easily transferred from van to van,I had a posse of Germans round about the van in portugal last month trying to figure it out,I popped ther bonnet and let them see why we won the war!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.