Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the advice is to fill the fuel tank to avoid condensation and thus water in the diesel.

Does the same apply to gas bottles? I have 1 that's nearly empty and the other started (it's a Gaslow system.) Should I fill up?

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
I doubt it Jean the gas tank is pressurised so doesn't take on the ambient humidity by the change of air that leads to condensation as the temperature changes. Stand to be corrected though.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does that mean the air above the diesel moves and replenishes? I didn't know that (and have never thought about it!)

Thanks Dick.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
A diesel tank is vented to allow air to escape when you fill it and enter as you use the fuel. That’s why it is good practise to keep the tank full if not using the van for a while. A gas bottle or tank stores gas as a liquid under pressure with room for some to vaporise as it is used. That is why gas tanks and bottles can only be filled to 80% so as to prevent liquid from entering the system (a gas bottle should only be used standing up) and as such no air enters the tank or bottle under normal use.

·
Read Only
424 Posts
Is there not a [relatively] high water content in Diesel that can lead to freezing when the tank level drops? I know that there has been alot of technical developments with chemical additives to produce 'Winter Diesel' but my 1986 Citroen BX17RD had a removable bottom of the fuel filter housing to allow the accumulated water to be drained off; and, back in the infamous Winter of 1962/63, Dad was a mechanic at Bradford's Bakery in West Bromwich. He was called out on Sunday night to deal with Delivery Vans that had frozen fuel lines, and the next time we saw him was on Thursday morning ... The fleet was either 236 or 263 Vans, and, as fast as they thawed one Van, the next one froze

His next wage packet was huge, with all that overtime, and in the immediate aftermath, the Boss gave every mechanic a baker's tray of Chelsea Buns, Pineapple Fancies, Apple Turnovers etc, most of which remain around my ample girth to this day!

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.