Motorhome Facts Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
SaddleTramp said:
Hi All, What can I say, We set off for a visit to Auschwitz etc on 2nd June this year and we intend to stay there a good few days,
Hi Les,

I, and I am sure others too, would be grateful for any input upon your return, on this particular forum if possible please.

kazzay said:
Auschwitz is on my list of places to visit in the future as well when I have the opportunity to do so.
Same here Kazzy. For us, it's just a case of having enough time to do it all, without rushing there and back again.

I was particularly moved by Alfa-Scud's post reference the boy's Stag Do, finishing up having a very sombre visit to Auschwitz.

Regards,

Jock.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
bandaid said:
When you visit, try and see some birds in the compounds, or listen for bird song.

I didnt see or hear a single thing when I visited.

It was almost as if even Mother Nature repelled against the things Human can do to each other.
I was told that this was a urban myth,so when i went in oct i paid special attention to this. Auschwitz no birds or wild life heard or seen,well it was oct and this camp is small.so i then went onto Birkennau this camp is massive with trees and shrubs,no birds or wild life found or heard but just outside the camp i saw lots of birds.
When i went into the gas chamber and crematorium at Auschwitz the temp seemed to drop dramatically ,so i went outside again to see if it was just me also went into similar building near by.It was just the same when i went back in!!!!
Make sure you see cell block 11

·
Registered
818 Posts
JockandRita said:
I was particularly moved by Alfa-Scud's post reference the boy's Stag Do, finishing up having a very sombre visit to Auschwitz.

Regards,

Jock.
Thanks Jock, it was quite bizarre really, & we were only talking about it last night. We'd been out to t'pub for tea with my mum & dad, & as you do after a couple of beers we were in a discussion (or "heated debate" as they usually turn out!).
My dad was having a bit of an immigration rant, as is his want, & Sandra was saying that she was pleased that the UK was, despite the scroungers & leg swingers, seen as a "safe haven". As he carried on his rant I couldn't help myself but fly off the handle a bit & demand that he pay a visit a visit to a place such as Auschwitz - maybe then he'd realise why we are so lucky to be living in such a free society, despite all the terrorism etc etc.....

I still have a few quiet minutes from time to time with memories of that visit, coupled with the before & after of the stag do - makes me feel very lucky indeed!!

One of the very few things that honestly gets my goat nowadays (& it didn't used to), is when people say "Hitler had it right" :evil: . Just because you may not like an immigration policy, you should never think like that - it is true evil at work.

Anyway, sorry about the lecture, but it did affect me a bit :oops: .

Think happy thoughts!!! :D

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Alfa_Scud said:
Anyway, sorry about the lecture, but it did affect me a bit Embarassed . ]
No need to be sorry Chris. It is refreshing to read of others thoughts, and how their visit has put some perspective into their views and thinking, in day to day life.

I would probably be brought down to earth with a hell of a bump, and be extremely humbled by it all.
As a an ex serviceman, Ypres and Auschwitz is something I feel that I have to do, but will have to wait until Rita has enough time on her hands. I'd still want her travelling with me, even though she probably wouldn't want to visit the actual camps themselves, as it would be too upsetting for her.

Regards,

Jock.

·
Administrator
11,407 Posts
Hi;

We visited Bergen Belsen this year, its something you must do at least once in your life.
It didn't really hit home until we were back in the van that evening talking about it. We were both in tears, I've never experienced emotions like it.
We will definately visit Auschwitz as well one day.

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
Yvonne and I both noticed the lack of birdsong when we visited Lidice.

On other journeys, we have found the same lack of sound at Natzweiler-Struthof and Dachau.

Like Bandaid and others, we always come away realising just how lucky we are, to live where we do when we do.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
We visited Belsen Bergen last year, and Dachau in 2006. So this year we are visiting Oswecin (Auschwitz). Dachau was the first memorial we had ever visited had it a numbing effect on me. I don't know what I'll find in Poland and I doubt if I'll get any answers. But it's a strange compulsion to be witness and not forget. Can't wait to spend a few days in Krakow as I believe its beautifull.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
JockandRita said:
SaddleTramp said:
Hi All, What can I say, We set off for a visit to Auschwitz etc on 2nd June this year and we intend to stay there a good few days,
Hi Les,

I, and I am sure others too, would be grateful for any input upon your return, on this particular forum if possible please.

kazzay said:
Auschwitz is on my list of places to visit in the future as well when I have the opportunity to do so.
Same here Kazzy. For us, it's just a case of having enough time to do it all, without rushing there and back again.

Regards,

Jock.
Certainly Will Jock, I have a fairly decent camera that takes SD cards so I have just bought a couple more for spares "Just in Case"

Les

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
brillopad said:
also forgot to say, if any one else wants to go, about this time perhaps we can meet up, or form a wagon train. dennis :lol:
Hi Brillopad, We set off for Auschwitz on 2nd June and are due to get there on 7th June, we are staying at centre for dialogue and prayer, It would be rude not to have a cold one mate.

Les

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Has anyone ever had problems with getting cash from Polish ATM's using a Nationwide Card. ?

I believe there is no problems with using them to pay road tolls.

Also, can anyone recommend a decent site in Krakov for three or four days as we must visit the salt mines after paying our respects at Auschwitz.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Zozzer said:
Has anyone ever had problems with getting cash from Polish ATM's using a Nationwide Card. ?

I believe there is no problems with using them to pay road tolls.

Also, can anyone recommend a decent site in Krakov for three or four days as we must visit the salt mines after paying our respects at Auschwitz.
We were there last year,get euros from cash machine in Gorlitz then take cash to the kiosks in poland I forgot what they are called they will change them into Zlotys.
Dont get fuel in East Germany much cheaper in Poland and you can pay with Nationwide card.
Read my blog for tips and info re roads.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Thanks Hogan,
Interesting blog, especially the state of the Polish motorway.

If our plans stay on course, we will be going into Poland via the Czech Rep, staying a couple of nights at Auschwitz, then onto Krakov, followed by Slovakia, Hungary, and ending in Slovenia before making our way back to the UK.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Polish Roads

I'm currently working in Poland, spending 10 -14 days a month there, during which time I travel by hire car from the Krakow area in the south to Gdansk area in the north or v/v. This is a trip of about 650km which I have covered by various routes that take between 6.5 and 10 hours. When I took on this work, which will possibly last 'till the end of 2010, I had intentions of taking Jane's MH for some extended stays and to enjoy some summer sun on the beaches in Sopot & Gdynia
However, it didn't take too long to realise that Polish roads and the MH were totally incompatible. I have never experienced such deeply rutted and pot holed roads.... and then there is the the driving and the traffic! It's not unusual to spend 2 hours to travel the 4 km from a shipyard in visit in Gdansk to my hotel and, this Wednesday, it took me over 3 hours to travel the 120 km from Kozle to Krakow Airport along the A4 motorway.
In sorry but , but for me, Polish roads are only fit for hire cars! However, the people are great.
TDG

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Hi Zozzer, No problem using Nationwide card at all mate, Used mine twice.

On way into Krakow there is a campsite called Camping Slok, a bit tight but very clean.

Also all the comments re birds in Auschwitz, It is urban myth I have actually photographed them There arent many but they are there, I have one photo of a Stork sat on an old hut in Birkenau as well.

All photos soon to be published.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but has anyone been to Auschwitz recently in a motorhome and if so where did they stay etc whilst in Poland?

The camperstop book (2012) I have dosn't cover Poland.

I,m currently in northern Holland and would appreciate as much info as possible please on campsites, wild camping, road conditions etc.

Thanks

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
If you are visiting Auschwitz I can very highly recommend "Centre for Dialogue and Prayer" It is NOT what it sounds like, It is a Hotel that has camping in it's grounds and it is maybe 300 metres from Auschwitz itself,
the address is Maksymiliana Kolbego 1, Oświęcim, Poland
+48 33 843 10 00 ‎
It is a beautiful location and is impeccably clean.

GPS Co-ordinates

50.02296132138001 / 19.19912338256836

My review plus other comments HERE

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.