Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detailed reports yesterday of a 4km long fire raging out of control at present involving the A63 which is reported as being “on fire”.

10,500 people have been evacuated so far.

Obviously a part of France NOT to visit at present. When we woke this morning at 0630 there was a strong smell of smoke, but no evidence other than grey clod at low level. This was probably from that even though it is 200 km away. We had a similar smell when fires raged near the Dune of Pyla recently.

Non of us would wish to be within 100km of such an event, where the fire has been will be a blackened desert, camping and motorhoming will be strongly frowned upon.

We are not allowed into our nearest woods from 1400 onwards, no fireworks, barbecue, or powered vehicles permitted in the woods - even for agricultural use. The potential fine for infringement is 1500€ on the first offence, rising by the same with subsequent infringements.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'll certainly avoid it, by staying in Saffron Walden!
10,000kmsq. of man managed pine forest I know it well, plenty of firebreaks but obviously these haven't been totally effective. Wonder how the road itself found itself aflame, there's normally quite a wide roadside verge
clear of the trees, and a hydrant system of some extent evident IIRC.

·
Premium Member
23,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The firebreaks are only 10m wide, the trees are often 20+ m high, so it can fall across easily. Not all of the firebreaks have been,dpt clear and there is a lot of undergrowith which is highly flammable.

I suspect the reports of the road itself burning are a news reporter’s exaggeration. (Just like Boris did when reporting for the Spectator).

As an aside, you can now walk across the Loire on foot, no swimming needed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The firebreaks are only 10m wide, the trees are often 20+ m high, so it can fall across easily. Not all of the firebreaks have been,dpt clear and there is a lot of undergrowith which is highly flammable.

I suspect the reports of the road itself burning are a news reporter’s exaggeration. (Just like Boris did when reporting for the Spectator).

As an aside, you can now walk across the Loire on foot, no swimming needed.
Not even sure they are actually intended to be fire breaks, primarily access routes for fire fighting appliances, logging machinery etc, probably just luck if they arrest the progress of a real blaze. The pines are virtually bottles of turps. that, and dried cone needles !
I've seen large eucalyptus trees catch fire in Portugal luckily just a few fairly isolated trees, took a lot of resources to put the blaze out, they couldn't risk leaving it to just burn out. Another at Cullera Spain, half a day fighting it with choppers, several fire appliances and crews to stop it getting larger than an only a couple of acres or so in extent, before being extinguished.

·
Premium Member
28,526 Posts
Love that answer to Golf Courses.

But I am absolutely staggered that 'people' need to be told over and over again not to use BBQ's and camp fires in tinder dry forests after thousands of hectare's have been ravaged by fires!! What are we breeding?

Ray.

·
Premium Member
23,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
A poor picture, but it's still burning.
People have been evacuated from the area to our town and are being taken care of with a combination of council premises and residents helping out. Local restaurants are supplying food.
We'll see what the morning brings.
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Building Electricity

·
Premium Member
23,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I wonder have the scientists taken into account the compounding effect on climate change of all these massive fires on the atmosphere? It will certainly speed up the rates of degeneration.
AFAIK the C tied up in wood is regarded as C neutral when it is burned and returned to the atmosphere, so yes, it will have been taken into account.

BUT the destruction of so much vegetation must reduce the speed with which CO2 can be taken FROM the atmosphere. It is true that young seedlings proportionat take up CO2 faster than older trees but the recovery from these fires will take 50 years+.

Sadly,nthe more the CO2 level rises, as it is inexorably doing,nthe more such severe weateher events will occur.

The U.K. must expect more 40 + days for the foreseeable future, France will have more forest fires, probably Scotland and Wales will too because they also are densely planted in places with pine forests.

Meanwhile countries like India and of course China effectively deny it is happening.

Edit; wrote the above, then read the BBC article below.

I had not realised that it was already so marked.

·
Premium Member
10,882 Posts
Fingers crossed for you. It must be a constant worry.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
It wasn't pleasant. I know that it poses no direct threat to me, too many buildings in the way. However, the smoke and ash don't make for a pleasant environment and pose a problem for my wife, Kath, who has chronic breathing problems. The change of wind direction has brought some fresher air and clear sky today.
I feel for those who live in the country, 1500 evacuated so far, leaving their houses to the mercy of chance.
My neighbour was at his weekend house and was ordered out and the sense of powerlessness is obvious.
Despite there being little to see from here today, the helicopters have been non stop since 08.00 so there's still lots to do.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
The joy of nature, after looking at blazing fires for days and nights, I'm now sitting enjoying a hailstorm!
Hopefully the rest of the area are getting the same and the 1,000 soldiers and firefighters and 30 aircraft can all stand down.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts