Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'll certainly avoid it, by staying in Saffron Walden!
10,000kmsq. of man managed pine forest I know it well, plenty of firebreaks but obviously these haven't been totally effective. Wonder how the road itself found itself aflame, there's normally quite a wide roadside verge
clear of the trees, and a hydrant system of some extent evident IIRC.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The firebreaks are only 10m wide, the trees are often 20+ m high, so it can fall across easily. Not all of the firebreaks have been,dpt clear and there is a lot of undergrowith which is highly flammable.

I suspect the reports of the road itself burning are a news reporter’s exaggeration. (Just like Boris did when reporting for the Spectator).

As an aside, you can now walk across the Loire on foot, no swimming needed.
Not even sure they are actually intended to be fire breaks, primarily access routes for fire fighting appliances, logging machinery etc, probably just luck if they arrest the progress of a real blaze. The pines are virtually bottles of turps. that, and dried cone needles !
I've seen large eucalyptus trees catch fire in Portugal luckily just a few fairly isolated trees, took a lot of resources to put the blaze out, they couldn't risk leaving it to just burn out. Another at Cullera Spain, half a day fighting it with choppers, several fire appliances and crews to stop it getting larger than an only a couple of acres or so in extent, before being extinguished.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts