Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there's an easy answer to this one.
When you have two 12-volt batteries - how do you charge them with a generator? Do you have to disconnect the battery? Can you leave them both alone and just hook up the charger & generator to one at a time? We are not keen on gas so will need to charge the batteries at least once a day. Any thoughts please

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi,

Couple of bits of information missing!

batteries _ARE_ 12 volt
generator/charger is 'x' volts?
"disconnect" from what?

As there are more technical people here than me, they may give you better advice, but untill they do, here are some getting you going info.

If you have a 12 volt charger (though in reality its not 12 volts, but we won't go down that road) you'll need to connect your batteries up in parrallel to the charger. Basically connect all the minus signed terminals of the batteries to the black lead of your charger. then connect all the plus signed terminals to the red lead on your charger.

In the unlikely event of you have a 24 volt style charger, you'll need to conect your batteries in series to the charger. (mail me for details)

Since you havent advised what your 'load' items consists of, I would play safe and disconnect your load from the batteries.

Click here for my van website!

I do like a bit of feed back to my posts please

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I assume the batteries are seperated electrically? e.g. one for engine starting and the other for domestic use. If so a Sterling (www.sterling-power.com) charger would be ideal - it has three seperately regulated outputs which can be connected to seperate batteries or joined together. Not cheap though, prices start at about £170 for a 20amp model.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
We just plug our Honda EU20i into the hookup inlet, and run the generator under the van (but be careful where your fumes go, and of puddles forming if it rains)

On our Eura Mobil the leisure and engine batteries are both charged by the 18A charger. This works OK but there are two 105 Ah leisure batteries + an engine battery + any 12v applicances in use - it's a little under powered.

These generators do have an 8A 12V output designed for charging batteries, which could be used as well with suitable cabling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.