Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car battery not the van.
Because I´m not using the car much I have it on charge because of the cold weather, it started charging this morning at 7 on 4amp and is now on 0 can I leave it charging or should I turn it off?

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
It depends on the charger you use Jan, a cheap basic one will ruin your battery if you leave it on too long. Whereas a smart charger can be left on 24/7/365. I used to leave my car battery on charge for the duration of my 6 months winter trips after finding that the alarm run the battery to zero and ruined the battery on my first extended trip. Google your charger and wsee if its a "smart" one.

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
At times Lidl have the automatic chargers for about €18. They turn off when the battery is full and only click on again as the volts drop. C-Tec do another one but about €69.

Ray.

Reactions: 242633

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 question.
I thought the needle was on 0 a bit earlier, but when I took the photo its not quite there, by keeping it on all the time does the needle move from time to time?
When do I know if I need a new battery?

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
Often the description "Automatic" doesn't always mean fit and forget. It can be automatically adjusting the level of charge and any overload but might not 'float'.
Meaning it's charging all the time. You need one that actually stops charging when the battery reaches it's full voltage and starts again when the volts drop.

Generally modern batteries can last between 4 and 6 years. Ok some have been known to last 10. But as winter approaches and when you go to start the car on the cold and it struggles to turn the engine over. Replace it.
Of course it's not that simple but how complicated do you want?

Ray.

Reactions: erneboy

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you watch the video Raymond, I bet you didn´t. He is using the exact same charger as I have and says Permanent floating just leave it on.
I´ll pass on your second paragraph :grin2:

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
Did you watch the video Raymond, I bet you didn´t. He is using the exact same charger as I have and says Permanent floating just leave it on.
I´ll pass on your second paragraph :grin2:
I'm still waiting......................................................... :crying:

Ray.

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
For the needle to get to zero.

Ray.

Reactions: erneboy

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,864 Posts
Not sure I'd put much faith in what a builder (I assume) thinks of a charger, smart chargers are a lot cheaper than new batteries. A smart charger can also condition a battery not just charge it.

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: JanHank and erneboy

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This one seems to fit your requirements.

"Battery care and regeneration: Charger for base charging, renewal, trickle charging, optimising battery life and regenerating discharged batteries. Your ideal tool for worry-free, long-term trickle charging".
It says lead acid batteries Terry are these batteries all lead acid? the one I have is maintenance free.

·
Premium Member
36,045 Posts
This one seems to fit your requirements.

"Battery care and regeneration: Charger for base charging, renewal, trickle charging, optimising battery life and regenerating discharged batteries. Your ideal tool for worry-free, long-term trickle charging".
I bought one of those a few weeks ago. It does the job fine I think.

Reactions: JanHank

·
Premium Member
36,045 Posts
I do have time to think, so I considered whether it was doing the job and concluded that it was.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.