Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meant to post this before, and the 3 dongle problems have reminded me.

In the van recently, I tried to open a Skype account using my Vodaphone dongle so that Mrs Zeb can spend several hours per day on the phone to her antique Mum on the landline. :roll: (I was really setting this up ready for use when we go abroad, as it will be by far the cheapest method I believe.)

I kept getting the same error message which claimed that I had entered my details incorrectly, and nothing I could do would fix it. While I was still cursing roundly, my friend came to the van (a professional computer expert) and he was baffled too - much to his embarrassment and irritation!! :lol: :lol:

A couple of hours later the mobile rang and it was a nice Indian gentleman from the bank, enquiring if I had made a very small internet transaction involving Vodaphone??

Their auto-detection gizmo had picked this up as a possible fraudulent transaction and instantly blocked payment.

I was very pleased on the one hand since this shows that the safeguard systems do actually work (sometimes! 8O ) but it was annoying at the time to be wrestling with a problem that was not my mistake, and of which I had neither knowledge nor control.

Hope this helps someone :D

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
.wish I could understand the Skype bit though Shocked
I agree!

One of those...."how to set up a Skype system for thick untechie Motorhomers" information lists would go down well :wink:

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tailendcharley said:
:D :D
Wow Zeb....scary stuff...wish I could understand the Skype bit though 8O
Regards
8O 8O Smithy :wink: :wink:
Hi Smithy

If you open an account with Skype (in £10 installments) you can use it to phone a landline - anywhere in the world (I think) at very much reduced rates.

Mr Google knows all about it - suggest you ask him, if it would be of use to you. :D

Dave

·
Registered
252 Posts
Telbell
i don't think for a moment that your "untechie" not after what Joe has let you do in the new van :roll: :wink: :wink:

Nigel

·
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
14,576 Posts
Hi Zeb

As you know I have a Vodafone dongle but I have not needed to top it up yet... when I do I will use the same method as I do with the 3 dongle..I will buy a £15 top up from a supermarket or garage and top up via the method below:

Once you have bought a £15 voucher, you activate it by selecting the TopUp by Voucher icon on the Mobile Connect dashboard and then entering the 12 digit voucher code.
See here Vodafone help << (click on Pay as you go when you get to the page)

I prefer that way as it does not involve registering any credit or debit card with Vodafone... You can buy the top ups in advance as they have a long use by date , usually 90 days.

Mike

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Mike - I didn't explain clearly enough. :oops: (Trying to keep it fairly brief :roll: )

Just to clarify in case I've confused others, it wasn't the Vodaphone dongle I was topping up - I haven't used £2 worth yet! :D

I was trying to open an account with Skype, but in order to do so using the dongle I had to have my credit card registered with Vodaphone. For that service they charged me £1.50 and gave me back £2.50 credit. (or something like that - I got confused with all the faffing!!)

As you suggest, it was the registration process that caused the problem when it was blocked by the bank, but once that was lifted it was easy enough to fork out my tenner to Skype and open the account, so we can now call landlines at a very reasonable rate. ("We" being Mrs Zeb!! :roll: )

Does anyone understand all that - I'm still not sure I do. :?

The basic message is - if anyone tries to do the same and it won't work, wait a while before re-jigging your computer because it might be the bank protecting your hard-earned for you!! :roll:

Dave

·
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
14,576 Posts
Zebedee said:
Sorry Mike - I didn't explain clearly enough. :oops: (Trying to keep it fairly brief :roll: )
Hi Zeb

I can see that you did explain it right ...I just did not read it right :lol: :oops:

Mike

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have been using skype for a couple of years now and have gone for the pay monthly option which gives me 10,000 minutes to landlines in around 21 countries for about £4 a month and no extra charges.
You even get a local number that people can ring to call you even in the middle of france for the cost of that local call.
There is a small charge if you ring mobiles.
The info can be found here SKYPE

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
camper69 said:
I didn't think that the vodafone dongle supported skype.
Derek
As far as I know Derek, if you can get onto the internet Skype will work irrespective of what provider you are using.

Mrs Zeb certainly managed to natter to her antique Mum on Skype using the Voda dongle when we were recently in Salisbury.

Dave

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
arh said:
I always thought skype was a computer based phone system. could you tell every one who doesn't know about it (me) how it works.arh.
I'm not ducking the issue Arh, but the easiest way to find out is to browse the Skype website. :D

It explains everything far better than I could. :roll:

Dave

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,338 Posts
Would the option of using Skype with the dongle not be fiercely expensive when abroad? - for the data transfer rather than the Skype itself?

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JWW said:
Would the option of using Skype with the dongle not be fiercely expensive when abroad? - for the data transfer rather than the Skype itself?
Dunno?

I don't think voice communication is all that heavy on data is it?

Does anybody know - it's an interesting point?

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.