Motorhome Facts Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,019 Posts
And just to bring previous info to the fore - they won't accept Santander but will accept the euro account of Starling bank.

I didn't use mine on my last trip so can't tell you whether it was successful or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

I've been recently reading this thread as i need to get a tag and have been looking at the Bip & Go. Having previously had bad experience of APRR when they stopped accepting payment from UK banks (because of Brexit) - up until then it was the cheapest option and invaluable for a solo driver.
Could anyone confirm that Starling Euro account will accept payments to Bip&Go? (it think @jiwawa you had this setup?). I've just set up a Starling Euro account, and if nothing else, it;ll be useful for getting euros out of ATMs without getting a 5€ charge from my current bank.

@GMJ is your offer of sponsoring me (I gather you get 4€?) still on offer assuming i get confirmation Starling are good to go?
thanks

Fiona

·
Registered
7 Posts
To offer another cost comparison to Emovis & Bip&Go APRR also do a tag (Mango). I was with them for a number of years, and although I didn't have good experience with them when they stopped accepting payment from UK bank (due to Brexit) - they threatened legal action; they were very competitively priced if you can get an account that will work for them.
L'incontournable | Mango mobilités
Pay as you go -
Currently 0€ for first 3 months (France use) if obtained before 16 October (code WEEKEND22), €1.70 per month for France, €2.40 for Spain, Portugal and Italy, €0 for months not used. Currently free international posted (usually €10), no setup fee (I can't tell if this is just an offer though)

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Hi Fiona and welcome..........it's great to see someone offering help and information in a first post.
Much better than asking complex questions without even enough information to be able to help:alien:

We have not used these Bip and Go things..........and from the previous posts they do seem rather complicated.Am I right to think that their main advantage is convenience at the toll booth rather than a great saving

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,019 Posts
Fiona, yes the Starling works but you have to open the euro account as well and feed it enough money to cover your Bip&Go costs. Although the sterling Starling (!) account will allow you to get euros from ATMs in Europe, you need the euro account to set up a DD for Bip&Go.

If Graham has any problem sponsoring you, I can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
...Am I right to think that their main advantage is convenience at the toll booth rather than a great saving
That to me is the main advantage. I'm a solo driver, so the hassle of getting out of my car every time i get to a booth is beyond frustrating. I had the APRR one and it was a god-send until the banking system changed and i could no longer use it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fiona, yes the Starling works but you have to open the euro account as well and feed it enough money to cover your Bip&Go costs. Although the sterling Starling (!) account will allow you to get euros from ATMs in Europe, you need the euro account to set up a DD for Bip&Go.

If Graham has any problem sponsoring you, I can.
Thanks - i've set up the Euro account. do i need to do anything else to set up DD's from the Euro account, or just use the Euro account number?
I'll give Graham a couple of days to respond, but i need to get on and order it as i'm going away in a few weeks. so may be coming back to you :)
Thanks to you all for your helpful information (y)(y), although a (ahem - whispers) caravaner on a MoHo site, i travel a lot in my caravan and use it almost like a MoHo, so hope you don't mind the presence of a renegade ;)
f

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Hi Fiona and welcome

It looks like Jean has answered your query regarding Starling. For any others who read this please just be aware that your banks account has to be able to accept Sepa Direct Debits. If in doubt please check with them. For example, I found out that First Direct do not but Lloyds do.

Please drop me a message if you could Fiona via the Conversations tab which you get by clicking on your avatar at the top right of the screen. If you send me your first and second name plus your email address I'll gladly get you a 4€ discount.

Lastly and as an update to all.

We have successfully used the Bip&Go tag now in Italy too. If anything we found it to be even more efficient as the barrier sails up when we are only just in the detection zone enabling us to go through at around 20kph! These are not even lanes that are signposted as quick flow lanes either. Usually in France we have to stop (unless we are in the 30kph lanes).

Reactions: flumpet

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
This is a great Forum and post, learned a lot!

I'd like to get the Bip&Go.
Apparently there's a sponsor program. Happy to get sponsored if that chips in some coins to the sponsor as well! Can someone help/explain how it works?

Thanks!
Dmi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Dmi
Yes, you get €4 off, message @jiwawa and she should be able to do it for you, if not I can.

Make sure you have a bank account that accepts direct debits by euro. Most standard UK banks don't, but Starling does (easy to set up too). You get charged about 0.04% but i'm ok with that.

Fiona

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Hi Dmi
Yes, you get €4 off, message @jiwawa and she should be able to do it for you, if not I can.

Make sure you have a bank account that accepts direct debits by euro. Most standard UK banks don't, but Starling does (easy to set up too). You get charged about 0.04% but i'm ok with that.

Fiona
OY..I see you are jumping on my Gig now Fiona :ROFLMAO:

I am happy to sponsor too if anyone else reads this. Simply message me your first and second names and your email address and I'll do the rest.

Check that your bank can handle SEPA DIRECT DEBITS. Lloyds certainly can but First Direct cannot.

Reactions: flumpet

·
Premium Member
28,629 Posts
Yep, mee too.
My account No is :- N° client : 081328919

Ray.

·
Premium Member
28,629 Posts
OH, not seen that limitation, Jean. Maybe I don't always read the small print.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
  • Helpful
Reactions: raynipper
81 - 97 of 97 Posts