Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need to build a Box under the main floor of the Motorhome to house some euipment. The underside will be exposed to the elements when on the road.

What type or what is the technical term for the type of ply I need?
Also would Bitumen pain be okay to seal and waterproof it?

Also need some aluminium trim to sit a trap door over the top of the recessed box to support it this shape..............

___
.....|___

What do I term this as?

(Ignore the dots, only way I could get the shape to display)

Hope someone can help?

Trev.

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Hi Trev

Just "Marine Ply" as far as I know - if you can get it. Get some with as many laminates as you can in the thickness you want.

Cheap it ain't, but it is the best. :D

Bituminous paint will do the job well, but be aware that it never really dries out and will be sticky and horrible for ages. (Why not use marine varnish, which does dry to a hard finish. It works on boats!!)

Hope this helps

Dave

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
A good type of varnish is the 2can poly eurathene variety Varnish and hardener.
You need to have everything prepared It goes off in minutes but the finish is like bulletproof glass..
Put fibreglass tape and resin in and on the joints both external and internal to make it really bombproof

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,634 Posts
Sorry Trev,

I meant to ask for dims of the box, have you gone down the lateral route IE, does something the right size exist already that can be coerced into use, or have you considered making a fibreglass box around a cardboard box, I'm a big fan of the KISS principal.

But don't tell Zebedee I've gone right off him.

Kev.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,634 Posts
That's a biggish box, if you wanted to go the FG route, I don't know if you've ever used it before, if not, it's quite straight forward to make a box, it doesn't have to be the right sized box, I've made them from parts of bigger boxes, and used carton sealing tape to get the desired size, you only use the cardboard as a mould, but can also be incorporated to be used as structural reinforcement of the FG, as can simple rolled up newspaper, as it's the resin which gives it its strength, and can be hugely strong as well as being 100% waterproof, except for the lid of course, as for the Aluminium, I think it's called a rebated bend or something like that, hope that give you some help.

Kev.

PS and it's very light too, much lighter than Plywood.

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Kev_n_Liz said:
But don't tell Zebedee I've gone right off him.
Kev.
Didn't realise you fancied me in the first place Kev. :?

I always seem to find these things out too late! :cry: :cry:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​

Trev There's some stuff called sandwich board (or something similar) which the professional glass fibre people use for making panels.

It comes in flat sheets and is immensely strong when a couple of layers of fibreglass matting have been added to one or both sides.

If you could get some of that it would be perfect for the job. Why not ring your nearest motorhome manufacturer and ask who does their fibreglass work for them. I've no doubt the scent of a couple of fivers would get you all the offcuts you need for the box. 8)

Hope this helps

Dave :D

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
teemyob said:
. . . I need to build a Box under the main floor of the Motorhome to house some euipment. The underside will be exposed to the elements when on the road.
Been there - done that and ended up covering it in sheet aluminium as it wasn't as strong as I'd hoped . . in the end it done the job as intended but the weight of it went up out of proportion to the stuff being carried [you'll need to ensure the fixings are well secured - which in my case meant surrounding the box with metal strip bands of approx 1/8" inch thick.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think a box of the size needed could do with some metal strapping to secure it in place whether in FG or ply. 25kgs bouncing around on the road will vibrate like bu**ery and place undue strain on joints and corners. A simple flat aluminium strap could save you losing the whole deal on a motorway somewhere. Maybe if you check how underfloor safes are fitted it would help point you in the right direction. I also think the common term for the trim you require is a z section extrusion.

Noel

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Just a tad of advice,

Marine ply is guaranteed to have no voids ( air pockets in the laminations ) which is perfect if you are building the hull of an ocean going yacht. Hence the expense.
However, WBP grade plywood ( good quality from a timber merchant not a DIY shed) will be up to the job even with the occasional void, as long as either is varnished, painted with bitumastic paint or painted with Wests system epoxy which is a good waterproof glue too then you should get a long service life from it.
Reinforcing the joins with Glass fibre tape would be a bonus.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Bit of lateral thinking needed here Trev. 8)

If you search around I bet you could find a strong plastic box of about the dimensions you want.

If you then bond its rim to your Z section alloy framing with Sikaflex it will be very strong and totally waterproof - and dead easy to install.

No building of the box, no varnishing, no maintenance, no hassle! :D :D

That's what I would try first. :wink:

Dave

Addendum. Just had a look in the Screwfix catalogue, and they do one in "high impact polystyrene for heavy duty use".

Dimensions are 600 x 400 x 200.

Not quite what you want, but not a mile away, and only 14 quid. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
box making

trev from an engineering point of view. forget marine ply ,too heavy , too long to make ,too expensive and will not stand up to the elements long term .looking at your photos i assume you want to access from the inside.
buy a plastic storage box from screw fix, u need a high impact polypropalene , which most of them are. it will out last your camper.they do them quite near to your size, if not put two side by side. u can cut the hole smaller so that when it is let in it will sit on the frame of the box. if u want it a flush fit cut some 4mm plates to fit under the upper frame of the box and bolt thro or no8 s tappers hope this helps regards gary

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Re: box making

motaman said:
buy a plastic storage box from screw fix, u need a high impact polypropalene , which most of them are.
Beat you to it Gary! :D :D :D

I've been waiting a long time for this - it's usually someone else who gets in before me. :D

Where's the emoticon for a smug grin!!
:wink: :D :D
Dave

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Project

Thanks again everyone, to enlighten you all the idea is to house this.

Dometic HB2500

The product size is

710 Long
400 Wide
280 Deep

As the vents will need to exit and the return air vent be inculded so the box length needs to be more like 810

Trev.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.