Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Butane v Propane

7K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  chuggalugs 
Most all year motorhomers and ralliers use propane rather than butane to save messing about in cold weather.
Flow is reduced as temperature lowers not always down to freezing and could give the impression of an empty cylinder.
There is not a lot of difference in performance between the two and you shouldnt notice any difference. Before the pro butane brigade come back arguing, if I have to I should be able to show you figures as I spent my working life in the compressed/idustrial gas business and I probably still have tech data sheets about somewhere.

There is a requirement that industrial gas regulators are inspected yearly. Not all are but there again these are built in superior materials to the LP regulators we all use in our vans.
It is my opinion that few if any dealers test the actual regulator when they do the habitation service and that includes the well known manufacturer who has a string of service centres in their group. If they do I would be happy for them to explain how they test these devices and if a competant person does this.
I think any caravanner who changes the regulator on a regular basis say every couple of years or in fact has a change over unit be it manual or automatic where the regulator use is reduced is very wise
Lets face it a single stage industrial propane regualtor is probably around 60GBP or more, how much do you pay for the one in your van that you rely on for Your safety

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.