Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I collected my new Hymer, there were dozens of things wrong with it, a long story I won't bore you with but two years on I still have plenty of things I am not happy with.
On a recent trip I met a fellow Hymer owner who was able to use his radio/CD player when the ignition was switched off. I have never been able to do this but I suspect that since the radio was fitted in a hurry on my collection day (as the dealer had forgotten it) it may not have been wired correctly. Also, I can't switch it off when I am on the move, it defaults to lowest frequency setting when I turn it back on so I have to re-tune, and never comes on with the ignition anyway. Sometimes the CD comes back on, sometimes not.

Does anyone have any (useful) comments before I take it in to be fixed? In case it is a matter of adjustment/setting?

overthehill

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sounds like it has been wired wrong. Now some nice guy posted the Standard wiring for radios on the old threads , I shall see if I can find it myself somehere else and post back if someone does not beat me to it. However an auto electrician or dealer shoud be able to check and fix in a jiffy.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, I wait and see if any of the old data comes back on here, and see how much of my "O" level physics I remember..... failing that, get someone else to do it but that will probably involve a lot of travelling!

I'm surprised that something can be wired up wrong yet appear to work, after a fashion....

overthehill

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hi

Is the vehicle still under warranty. If so the dealer should put it right if wired wrong. BUT radios are usually fitted so that they switch off when the engine is switched off so if its still under warranty & you saty you still have warranty issues why not asl them to switch it so you canuse on site as a good will gesture. We were one charged 36 quid to do this so we always ask for this before delivery. Its free then

Motorhomer

·
Registered
420 Posts
overthehill,

http://www.add-a-cdchanger.co.uk/acatalog/add_installation_guide.htm#iso

You could try this site for some info,. Basically looks likeyou have the red and yellow wires crossed over. These are the two 12v +ve feeds. Hoewever I would not start playing around unless you know what you are doing and have a volt meter to check polarity of wires 1st and they are both 12 volts.
Note on the FIAT base when you switch off the ignition the radio only stays on for twenty minutes. The accessory (ignition) input could be wired to the yellow permanent +v (and disconnecting original red wire), to keep radio live all the time but then you risk flattening your battery if you forget to switch it off.
Jon

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sounds like the wire that should be connected all the time so that the radio memory is operative is either not connected up or connected to the ignition circuit, otherwise a fault with the radio. You should have been given a connecting diagram with the radio if you had it fitted.

Hope this helps,

John 8)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Connecting diagram? You must be joking... bought it from a certain glossy dealership in Cannock, say no more? :evil:
Too far to go back to get it fixed by them, in any event I don't trust them.

Looks like I need to find a knowledgable radio fitter.......

overthehill

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi Again overthehill,

If you post back with the radio model and make, I wil look up the details, also post your base vehicle details and I will look up the information needed so any one who is half competent can check it is wired correctly.
Jon.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Brambles, that's very kind of you but it will have to wait for now as all the info is on the van...... which is not kept here. I will be visiting it sometime this week and bring all the info back.

overthehill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.