Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Calais to Italy

17K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  SaddleTramp 
Hello all, I have been advise about this route by a few posters.

I think that although you can use Swiz non motorway roads without a vignette, we did try it a couple of years back, and you seem to nearly always get fed on to a motorway for a short piece at least, which you could take a risk with, but to get across the alps would take a long time.

But I also think I may be wrong that it you are over 3500kg you have to buy a pass on entering switzerland, not sure if that is just for motorways, or just a tax on larger vehicles entering, but You are charged daily for when you are in Switzerland so I think it not just motorways. But if you are passing through then it only counts the days you are travelling through.

Sorry if not clearly written, just got up and yet to have a cup of tea.
Pat

I just wikipedia it and found this,

Vehicles larger than 3500 kg have to pay a special toll assessed through special on-board units that is applied for all roads, not just the motorways.

the link that Saddle tramp added is true for Vignettes, but that is only up to 3500kg.

The original posters vehicle is 3850kg

Thanks Pat

Hi Les
Thanks for your reply (now had a cup of tea so part human).
I understand that you have more experience than me, and when I did it, I was map reading on the back of a motorbike and the first time that I was in Switzerland. ( We also ended up doing 4 passes in one day just for fun, which is was until we got to the last one and it chucked it down).

Although the HGV pass you say is about 5 Euros a day, there is a minimum purchase price of about 30CHF, so it you are making a return trip it is worth buying more days that you need, in our case we will probably buy a 10 day pass which is about that price.

Unless that if you buy a vignette at the same time which we will need to do so because we will be towing our motorbike on a trailer, which can also buy the amount of days (two) for the HGV (motorhome over 3500 kg) as well. But knowing our luck it will count as two different transactions.

(it will also be the first year that we will have a sat nav, so that will be interesting too.)

Kind regards

Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.