Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Calais to Italy

17K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  SaddleTramp 
Italy

Hi

I would run via Switzerland and pay the 32.50 SFR for the permit. That is valid for one calendar year and allows ten days worth of traven in the country.

If you run Calais, Dunkerque, Ostend, Brussels, Arlon, Luxembourg (cheap fuel and cigs), Metz, Met airport, Chateau Salins, Saverne, Molsheim, Mulhouse you will not pay a bean in tolls.

You could also start as above and continue Metz, Nancy, Epinal, Thann, Basle and be toll free. A rather nice route too, over the Bussang Hill.

From the Swiss Italian border you can spend as much or as little as you like on tolls.

I can do the journey to Garda and back toll free, except for the Swiss pass...and at £20 for one year, I don't give a hoot about it.

Russell

Journey

Hi Graham

I used to travel via Lille on the A25, but the road surface is so appalling, it is not worth travelling on. Also, the traffic around Lille can be horrendous - worse than Birmingham in my opinion.

I travelled to Garda via Lille in December and returned via Ostend. The mileage differential from the A4/A31 in France back to Calais was only a few miles greater. Also, this route puts you near tobacco alley should you so wish.

Russell

Edit - www.viamichelin.com shows Calais to Luxembourg as 414km via Lille, and then Calais to Luxembourg via Ostend as 432kn, so an 18km differential. However, you do not actually go into Ostend and as such, you can knock about 10km off these figures, leaving a difference of 10km or 6 miles. I think the speedo recorded a difference of 3 miles.

Tolls

teemyob said:
SaddleTramp said:
You only have to pay the Vignette in Switzerland if you travel on Motorways so No Motorways either not only that it is only about 180 miles From Swiss border to Italian border so you would not pay anything at all.
How interesting, did not know that.

Trev.
Hi

There is a thread about Swiss tolls somewhere and I seem to think that you still have to pay even if you are not using the motorway. I will try to find the thread later.

Russell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.