Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again
I'm so pleased with the results of my lovely Panasonic BM and with your help I have tried quite a few of the recipes in the book...including the wonderful Chelsea Buns (thanks Mike!).

Now, my question today is this.....
Hubby likes to buy all sorts of flour when he is wandering around Sainsbury's (I don't do Sainsbury's - only Waitrose local for me) and last week he picked up a bag of Allinsons Oatmill White Bread flour which has oat flakes and oat bran in it. The only recipe in my book for this type of thing is one which adds the bran and oats separately. These are the quantities it gives:

400g strong white flour
50g Bran
50g Porridge oats.
Plus all the usual other ingredients.

Now I just used 500g of this oatmill flour - thinking that by adding the extra 100g it would work out the same :?

The bread tastes OK but I've obviously cocked it up somewhere as the top is a bit sunk and uneven and it doesn't look as if it has cooked for long enough. The setting for our BM was on Basic bake 4 hours.

Should I have just stuck to 400g of flour do you think? Seems like adding another 100g I may have upset the balance a bit.

Also, just read Grizzly's tip for removing the paddle and I really would be keen to try that as my notched paddle (used with rye flour recipes) nearly always get stuck in the actual loaf and it's really hard to get the thing out as it's blooming hot. If you leave it to cool it is even harder to remove. The recipe book does warn that it will happen from time to time but I do curse it.

Second question then.....

Whens the best time to remove the dough and then the paddle 8O

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi

I have just consulted the Panasonic Bread machine guru and she says you have to stick to the amount of flour in the recipe. The adding of things like seeds or raisins or bran or what ever isn't part of the flour weight that is a separate part of the recipe. You wouldn't add extra flour if you didn't add 4ozs of sunflower seeds. We use the same flour and also mix different types of flours but never exceed the total amount stated in the recipe. This gives some very strange results in flavour and texture but is always cooked correctly.

Tricia also says try the Waitrose Canadian white/wholemeal bread flour as it is stronger and gives better results for texture and flavour.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kevin (and Tricia) & thanks
I did wonder about the weight etc and when you say it like that I realise how daft my question sounds now but the 50g of oats and 50 g bran had me worried that if I didn't add some extra flour that might effect it as well!

Obviously seeds are lighter but I was worried that 100g of bran and oats not being added as separate items might make the 350ml water stated as being too much...........if you get my drift.

I have used the Waitrose flour Tricia suggests and also the WR organic and found they do indeed give great results....it's just the other half keeps bringing home these little 1kg bags of flour for me like gifts....I used to get tulips :lol:

Oh well, I knew there would be a few mistakes along the way and at least it is still edible. I will stick to flour measurements as stated in future - cheers for the advice.
M.

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I bought a breadmaker....missus has put it in the loft
I bought a Panasonic multi type cooker and microwave. Missus put it in the loft.
I bought a Kenwood Mix anything you can think of. ... Missus put it in the loft.
I bought an electric filter chip fryer. ... Missus put it in the loft.

I bought a simple fryer with net and .... Missus put it in the loft.
I bought one of those irons that you pulll down a handle and it squashes the ironing..... Missus put it in the loft.

I was just thinking to myself about buying her some lagging. :(

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Hi Maura

We haven't used the flour you mentioned but when we use flour with 'bits' in we use the Multigrain programme. We've had our Panasonic for years so I don't know how similar it is to yours so check what your manual says.

Chris

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GULP 8O

Send Mrs Pusser to see me straight away she must have her gadget hormone missing thats all I can say.

I have all those things and more in my house and whilst some are now 'stored' safely at back of the cupboard (especially the deep fat fryer thingy which stunk house out :( ) most I love and use all the time.....but TOP of the list for wonderful inventions is the PANASONIC BREADMAKER :lol:

It's so wonderful that my daughter-in-law has bought one and so has her Mum and my daughter wants one as well. I should be getting commission from Panasonic at this rate.

As usual Pusser, you are totally undervalued, what a lucky lady Mrs P is :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had this model a long time. Does brilliant bread, wholemeal especially good BUT make sure the only flour you buy is labelled as Stong or Very strong (white or wholemeal) The organic or other stuff is not good in my opinion for use use in this breadmaker.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ambuvanner said:
Had this model a long time. Does brilliant bread, wholemeal especially good BUT make sure the only flour you buy is labelled as Stong or Very strong (white or wholemeal) The organic or other stuff is not good in my opinion for use use in this breadmaker.
Sorry, maybe I've confused the question but I only ever use strong or very strong bread flour. The Oatmill flour is for breadmakers as well as for handbaking. It's just a bit confusing because it already contains the oat and the bran and there are no specific instructions or recipes in my manual for this type of flour. I only have a recipe that requires oat and bran to be added to the flour. I don't think I'll bother with it again, it's easier to just buy the flour and add the ingredients separately.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You were worried about the quantity of water to flour if there are oats and bran will both absorb plenty of water - ever watched how much water something like porridge can take? I suggest having another go with the 400g flour and see how that goes. I suspect it will work fine. After all, when using sunflower flour I never increase the flour to take into account the sunflower seeds IYKWIM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
mauramac said:
ambuvanner said:
Sorry, maybe I've confused the question but I only ever use strong or very strong bread flour. The Oatmill flour is for breadmakers as well as for handbaking. It's just a bit confusing because it already contains the oat and the bran and there are no specific instructions or recipes in my manual for this type of flour. I only have a recipe that requires oat and bran to be added to the flour. I don't think I'll bother with it again, it's easier to just buy the flour and add the ingredients separately.
Hi,

I've used this flour a number of time and get best results from the wholemeal cycle. There is some scientific reason for this but basically for any flour that contains seed/nuts/oat flakes etc you need to bake on the wholemeal setting otherwise the loaf wont rise properly, even if you are mixing it with white flour. I always treat these seedy flours in the same way as granary and follow the granary wholemeal recipes.

Hope this helps

Steve

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
mauramac said:
Hello again
I'm so pleased with the results of my lovely Panasonic BM and with your help I have tried quite a few of the recipes in the book...including the wonderful Chelsea Buns (thanks Mike!).

Now, my question today is this.....
Hubby likes to buy all sorts of flour when he is wandering around Sainsbury's (I don't do Sainsbury's - only Waitrose local for me) and last week he picked up a bag of Allinsons Oatmill White Bread flour which has oat flakes and oat bran in it. The only recipe in my book for this type of thing is one which adds the bran and oats separately. These are the quantities it gives:

400g strong white flour
50g Bran
50g Porridge oats.
Plus all the usual other ingredients.

Now I just used 500g of this oatmill flour - thinking that by adding the extra 100g it would work out the same :?

The bread tastes OK but I've obviously cocked it up somewhere as the top is a bit sunk and uneven and it doesn't look as if it has cooked for long enough. The setting for our BM was on Basic bake 4 hours.

Should I have just stuck to 400g of flour do you think? Seems like adding another 100g I may have upset the balance a bit.

Also, just read Grizzly's tip for removing the paddle and I really would be keen to try that as my notched paddle (used with rye flour recipes) nearly always get stuck in the actual loaf and it's really hard to get the thing out as it's blooming hot. If you leave it to cool it is even harder to remove. The recipe book does warn that it will happen from time to time but I do curse it.

Second question then.....

Whens the best time to remove the dough and then the paddle 8O
Did you bake on Wholemeal

i.e 5 hours

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Pusser said:
I bought a Panasonic multi type cooker and microwave. Missus put it in the loft.
I bought a Kenwood Mix anything you can think of. ... Missus put it in the loft.

I bought one of those irons that you pulll down a handle and it squashes the ironing..... Missus put it in the loft.

Come on Pusser, Solution is simple.

Move into the loft and look after yourself, should be easy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
SaddleTramp said:
Pusser said:

I fear this is the thin edge of the wedge. I think there is a conspiracy for the youngest squatter to have a bottom drawer and it is merely a matter of whether I get chucked out to save him buying a house or whether his Mum builds a house around the gadgets I bought her. I thought MP's were devious. :(

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve & Wupert

Thanks for replies - I will bake another one today as per your advice and see how that goes. To be fair the other loaf was delicious but it was a bit flat on top and I didn't think it had risen properly. Also I know that messing around with quantities can mess up the results so I can only assume I had a 'senior moment' that day :(
The recipe I used out of my Panasonic book was for the Oat & Bran loaf (Basic Bake 4 hrs)....see where I was going with this? The flour is Oatmill and has oats & bran in it!!!!! Anyway - I will definitely give it another go and try it on the wholewheat bake 5 hrs.

Pusser I didn't realise you still had some chicks in the house 8O That would definitely explain Mrs P's activities in the loft. She is preparing the nest for the hopeful evacuation of fledgling pussers.......not long now eh?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Pusser said:
SaddleTramp said:
Pusser said:

I fear this is the thin edge of the wedge. I think there is a conspiracy for the youngest squatter to have a bottom drawer and it is merely a matter of whether I get chucked out to save him buying a house or whether his Mum builds a house around the gadgets I bought her. I thought MP's were devious. :(
Get the breadmaker out of the loft. Bake a loaf make their lunch sandwiches and wrap them IN A MAP!!!
OS Sht 179 inc. Sandwich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.