Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
We used one of their aires for the first time this year (the one at Saumur on L'île D'Offard, right next to the campsite), we had to by a membership card for €5 first, before we could enter (the entrance is barrier controlled). The card is issued by the payment machine. Once you've got the card you can use it at the rest of their sites, I'm not sure how long the card is valid for).

The Saumur site had defined parking bays and EHU, we also took a look at their aire at St Jean D'Angléy (next to the park), it too had defined parking bays and EHU. The website is helpful because it tells you how many bays are at the aire and whether it has EHU.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,300 Posts
My post for here really dis go missing!

I've used their aires on a number of occasions; they're generally very clean and well looked after.

One downside tho is that the number of free, simple aires is declining.

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
recently found this website, seems well priced and is adding new sites all the time
campingcarpark.com
Not as reasonably priced as the sites were when they were free aires (or provided at cost) by local villages and communes. I suspect they take over "management" of them input a bit of capital (maybe a new bourne) add a margin and bob's your uncle. Good business plan and ensures that you don't have the neglected ones with overflowing dumps! I think the days of the free ones are gone. Shame.

Reactions: Penquin

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Not as reasonably priced as the sites were when they were free aires (or provided at cost) by local villages and communes. I suspect they take over "management" of them input a bit of capital (maybe a new bourne) add a margin and bob's your uncle. Good business plan and ensures that you don't have the neglected ones with overflowing dumps! I think the days of the free ones are gone. Shame.
I'd rather go to an aire that was looked after rather than an unkempt one, it actually makes you feel more secure. I suspect the local marie was glad to be relieved of the burden of management, they still get the benefits of an aire but don't have to budget for it. Personally, I'm happy if means an aire remains open rather than disappearing for ever.

I sincerely hope not. I really dont like these new Camping park aires. They remind me of club sites. No thanks.
Nothing like a club site, no wardens, no telling you how to pitch yourself no loo/shower block, no telling you when you have to be off the site etc.

·
Premium Member
29,381 Posts
I'd rather go to an aire that was looked after rather than an unkempt one, it actually makes you feel more secure. I suspect the local marie was glad to be relieved of the burden of management, they still get the benefits of an aire but don't have to budget for it. Personally, I'm happy if means an aire remains open rather than disappearing for ever.

Nothing like a club site, no wardens, no telling you how to pitch yourself no loo/shower block, no telling you when you have to be off the site etc.
They look a bit like them though. Neat little rows and pitches, EHU, Barriers messing about with credit cards. Urghhh. One of the joys of motorhoming in France for me is researching Aires and finding different ones in all sorts of places and just being able to turf up and park. Even better if they are free or a man or a lady comes round for the money. Most of our long trips are over summer. I dont need hookup for a kick off and whilst I appreciate they are not that expensive, if you are away for months it all mounts up. I just like the old higgledy-piggledy aires.

Cant say I have ever felt unsecure on an Aire in France, then again we tend to pick the out of the way rural ones which I suspect there are still hundreds of scattered around the country (hopefully)

·
Registered
2014 Autotrail Tribute Sport T615
16 Posts
I have membership but have only used one and a couple of the ones run by airepark, think it will be a few years before all the old ones get taken over , managed 30 plus sites this year and still a lot of free ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts