Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

There are five of us (my wife and myself, and our three large dogs) and we are considering a MH. We have had a caravan on the past, but didn't like the hassle of towing/hitching/unhitching/setting up/etc etc. We like the idea of a MH as we would also want to use it as a day van as well as overnight.

Could I get a decent MH for £8,000ish, with space for us all?

Also, what are the beds over the cab generally like? We are both tall (I'm tallest at 6' 2") so would we fit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Jumbobeef welcome to the forum.
I find it quite amazing the difference in replies you would get if you said that you have 30k (and on the drip) to spend as asked on here many times ! I myself am not interested in keeping up with the Joneses.
Yes you can get one for 8k but you would have to look around a lot more and maybe do some work on it yourself if happy to do so.Look on www.preloved.co.uk as some come up frequently at good prices.Also on autotrader.

Regards Wyn

·
Registered
467 Posts
£8000 van

Welcome..Yes you can get one for your money..If wanting overcab type bed for adults,I would recommend you take a look at A class with Drop down bed,brilliant.If you look hard I am sure you could find an old Hymer for that sort of money,Good Luck

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Welcome JumboBeef!

I'm sure you can get a MH for £8k, but it might need a bit of work to make it comfortable. I'm not so sure I would advocate an over-cab bed if you are tall - you will find that in most vans it is difficult to sit up if you are tall (voice of some experience, although only 5ft11ins). I find that I bang my head when I sit up and when I climb in. Each to their own though, I expect others may well disagree. Have a good look through previous threads about buying a 2nd hand van before you comit and you will save yourself much grief!

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
This might suit you in classified section,OK more than 8K but whats money!

Peter

Hymer Camp 92,U shaped seating,Oven fitted !!
Posted On 15:58:39 May 07 2009 By Gaynorjane

Fantastic Van, well loved but sadly no longer used due to work commitments.
We have a comphrehensive instruction book for the van and its gadgets, mainly in German, translated versions where possible.
We had the oven proffessionally fitted when we bought the van, so its only a couple of years old
This van has almost everything you could need for brilliant family holidays, we have travelled England & Europe as a couple or as a family of 6 (4 teenagers!!) and had some brilliant times.
Please read on and should you have any questions please email or call on 07824399240

2.5 Turbo Diesel
Chassis: 2 axle rigid body
Transmission: 5 speed column gear shift
Dimensions: Length - 23ft; Width - 7ft; Height - 10ft
Seats/berth: 6 seater/6 berth / 3 x double beds
Mileage (kilometres) 136,220
Roof load: Max 75kg

Extras
Roll out Omnistor Awning (Safari room sides available at extra cost) , runs almost the length of the van!!
3 Bike Rack
Detachable ladder
Exterior 220v hook-up socket
Internally operated entrance step,sensor fitted
Passenger Captains seat (rotates when stationary)
2 x roof ventilation/skylights complete with blinds to reduce light & insulate roof vents
Electric sockets
Curtains, fly blinds & insulation blinds
Ample storage!!! including wardrobe,overhead lockers underbed storage
Large fridge with box freezer
3 burner hob / Oven/Grill proffessionally fitted (2yrs old)
Fresh Water storage tank, external tank is surrounded by insulated box
Waste tank & hoses
Winterised Twin Gas systen to allow usage during Low temperatures.
Bathroom c/w sink, fitted wall cupboard & under sink
Fitted Cassette toilet / Shower
Boiler & Fully controllable Trauma Blow Air Heating. (blows hot & cold - great for hot countries!!)
Internal silverscreen's for front cab windows -excellent security feature
We can provide many extras such as Gas bottles , electric leads etc, which are all negotiable.
Price : £12950

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I'm due to post an advert for my Hymer B544 2.5td with British awning and room,bike rack and back box.New upholstery.
1992 90k miles
£11500ono
when I got things together look in the ads section which,I hope, will have pictures and more info.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The Classified Ads on here are out of date, as I have discovered. Two of the less expensive ones have been sold, and the owners haven't bothered to remove them. Preloved has quite a good selection with variations on prices, and makes, I think this would be a better option for your price range. Ebay is another ,but you must be very wary!! I looked at Hymer Camp the other day, which was under £8000(just) but in not bad nick at all. It was based in Littlehampton West Sussex. I didn't buy because it had no Turbo. Cheers Andy

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Hi
I am not sure where you are based but yesterday while cueing in traffic in Lincoln I saw a mint MH for sale by the side of the road for £8995. It was a van conversion on I think a long wheelbase Fiat Ducato. It wasn't a self build but a factory conversion. The bodywork was white which usually shows any signs of rust and from my position it was perfect. I know these are not the largest MH but certainly a good starting point. There must be some good bargains around at the moment but MH's are also becoming more popular so don't hang around.
JP

·
Registered
186 Posts
:lol: Hi everyone as someone who uses EBAY quite a lot just to say be weary of vehicles for sale as there may be finance remaining on them you could ask someone to HPI it for you for a fee I think the RAC or AA do it or contact HPI direct but it cost more but good luck in your quest :lol:
Brian and Marion

·
Registered
734 Posts
JumboBeef said:
Hello all,

There are five of us (my wife and myself, and our three large dogs) and we are considering a MH. We have had a caravan on the past, but didn't like the hassle of towing/hitching/unhitching/setting up/etc etc. We like the idea of a MH as we would also want to use it as a day van as well as overnight.

Could I get a decent MH for £8,000ish, with space for us all?

Also, what are the beds over the cab generally like? We are both tall (I'm tallest at 6' 2") so would we fit?

Thanks!
Because the beds over the cab are transverse and equate with the overall width of the van - which is generally around 7'6" - they are the biggest beds in any of the vans. The exception to this is the A-Class drop down cab beds that, because of the necessary hinge and support brackets at the top and at the bottom of the bed, are compromised in length although provide better headroom when in use.

·
Registered
734 Posts
briannod said:
:lol: Hi everyone as someone who uses EBAY quite a lot just to say be weary of vehicles for sale as there may be finance remaining on them you could ask someone to HPI it for you for a fee I think the RAC or AA do it or contact HPI direct but it cost more but good luck in your quest :lol:
Brian and Marion
I met someone last year who spent £15,000 on a 'bargain' (it was 'too good to be true' - literally!) and lost every penny. E-Bay scams are prolific

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies (I'm in Cumbria, by the way).

The problem is, apart from travelling around Oz in the 1980s in a Kombi, I have no experience of motorhomes. I know that:

I have £8,000 to spend (I could spend more, but do I really want to tie lots of money up in one?)

I have lots of space to park the biggest there is (I live rurally) but the turn off the lane into my property is tight so that restricts me to nothing larger than a mid sized MH.

If I went for a fixed bed, that would take up a lot of spacer (wouldn't it?) but I know we couldn't live with a bed over the cab if it was too small: what sort of sizes are these beds?

We would travel from place to place, not staying in one place for more than one night (which is why I don't want another caravan) but what are the rules on rocking up somewhere and parking overnight? Do you need to stay at sites? What do country pubs thinks about MHs stopping in their car parks? (providing you eat/drink in the pub).

How much does it cost to insure a MH? We are both in mid 40's, full NCD (but already used on other cars), clean licences (and I'm blue light trained).

I'm sure there will be more questions to come!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi
We bought a 1991 Hymer 5 berth coachbuilt last year for £9500 and it is in great condition.
Everything works ,no damage.
Avoid the dealers as in that price bracket they will fob you off with a horror.Look at loads of private sales, don't scrimp and be patient.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jumbo

You can get a good van for under and around £8k, I just bought one off my friend that I coudn't pass up. Elddis Autoquest 320 2ltr Petrol with 56k on the clock. In fact I helped buy the Van for him 2 years ago and it was a great buy. My friend loved it and the lifestyle but he is 73 and some of his investments went a bit sour near the end of last year and also his health is not too great so it was time to sell the van. I was not in the market however it was too good to pass up.

It took me a few months find this van for him and that was 2 years ago, we looked at about 50 priced in the £6k - £10k market. I'm sure their are still some great buys out there that would suit you. Please don't just buy anything based on price though, as a newbie the van has to suit you or you will be lost forever to a wonderful lifestyle.

The only problem with getting this Van is my wife now has her eye on a 2008 Elddis Autoquest 180, now that she has had a taste of MH'ing again. It would bring our long term plans forward a few years so I'm not sure. Anyway if we decide to buy the 180 for her, mine will be on the market. The dealer offered me £7k as a trade in. Please don't take this as a sales pitch, the chances of me keeping the 320 are very high. As I said before please do your homework and get what you think will suit you and make sure you get value for money or you may be lost to a wonderful lifestyle forever.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jumbo - Outhouse again

Sorry I forgot to mention about insurance. I am 49 and have 4 motors insured Rover 75, 1970 MGb Roadster, Merc 312 Ambulance and now the Elddis 320. I had a rather large claim for my Hymer MH 3 years ago (accident in Holland / big van very small road) from the same insurance company and I pay £208 fully comp per year for the 320.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,652 Posts
I have lots of space to park the biggest there is (I live rurally) but the turn off the lane into my property is tight so that restricts me to nothing larger than a mid sized MH.
would it be possible to widen the opening to your property, I ask as RV's and 5th wheels, tend to be better value for money.

If I went for a fixed bed, that would take up a lot of spacer (wouldn't it?) but I know we couldn't live with a bed over the cab if it was too small: what sort of sizes are these beds?
We have fixed bed, which we like, but it is a little narrow, length is ok though, and no bed making morning and night, plus we use it for coats etc during the day.

We would travel from place to place, not staying in one place for more than one night (which is why I don't want another caravan) but what are the rules on rocking up somewhere and parking overnight? Do you need to stay at sites? What do country pubs thinks about MHs stopping in their car parks? (providing you eat/drink in the pub).
Not stayed on a site so far, wouldn't use pub car parks, the thought of some nutter full of beer trying to climb on the roof puts us off.

How much does it cost to insure a MH? We are both in mid 40's, full NCD (but already used on other cars), clean licences (and I'm blue light trained).
Not sure if saying that you're blue light trained would keep the premium down, unless you're still in that occupation, in which case you have to inform them, but I'm sure almost all insurance companies will mirror your NCD. we pay £325 for two of us to drive both with slightly grubby licences.

I'm sure there will be more questions to come!
we all have questions even long time members who thought they knew it all, that's the beauty of MH's.

Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.