Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post of, probably, many.
I have no info. at all on the fitting out of this late 90's motorhome other than such labelling as is on each item (and that in Italian) So my first query is about the domestic battery charging arrangement. I have had the van plugged into my shed electrics and been trying out all the 12v stuff without the battery indicator showing any decline so I am assuming that whilst on 240v - the domestic (and starter ?) batteries are being charged automatically - as was the case with my VWT4 Autosleeper Trooper. Does anything on this control panel suggest that to be so?

Rectangle Font Electronic device Machine Screenshot

Or in this shot of the relays etc under the sink?
Hood Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Computer hardware

This closer view of the Lucas item looks hopeful -

Motor vehicle Gadget Automotive tire Audio equipment Automotive design

- except that "cut IN 13.3v, cut OUT 12.7" suggests that it swaps over from charging the starter battery to the domestic when the former is fully charged. But - from the alternator or mains?

Returning to the control panel image -- the box 2nd from the right with the black rocker switch, the upper symbol of a tank with an indicator beside it. Does it light up to warn that a tank is full and needs emptying (in which case I can guess which tank is referred to) or that there is a tank drain cock open?
It seems fairly obvious what most of the Italian means, and what most of the switches actually do, but if anyone is fluent and can confirm that, for instance "12v Gen" is the 12volt master (or perhaps Domestic) - switch, that would be good to know.
Thanks in anticipation,
Mike P.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am not familiar with that particular set up but have a few thoughts on your questions.

I cannot see anything in your pictures to suggest that it will charge the vehicle battery from the mains. You could check by measuring the battery voltage when unplugged from the mains and then

Voltage sensitive relays are normally used to link the two batteries when the voltage from the alternator is high enough to provide a useful charge and to prevent the vehicle battery from being discharged into the domestic battery if the engine is running too slowly to provide charging.

I think that the set of four lights at the right hand end of the panel are to indicate the tank level. Which tank is show will be selected by the switch. The top symbol is probably for the waste tank and the bottom on for the fresh water. The switch may have an off position in the middle so that the display can be turned off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes - more food for thought, and experiment. I see no switch to turn on a mains charger (for the domestic battery) so I guess that there isn't one - (that is to say - no switch and no charger either) .Everything on the control panel is 12v capable only. So as you suggest, DACS, the Lucas unit is sharing alternator output with the domestic , giving priority to the starter battery.
Is the lack of an inbuilt mains charger unusual (for a late '90's setup?) The T4 Autotrooper had one in 2000, which seemed to be an optional extra. It certainly seems to me a very desirable one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts