Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently renewed my van insurance having been with the same broker for 2 years and only a week later decided to upgrade to a bigger more expensive van. I contacted my broker MCIA and to my amazement, I was told my current insurer would not quote due to the 'high' value of the new van. They tried other companies, but they required a minimum of 3 years NCB and I have only owned a van for 2 years! I eventually obtained cover elsewhere and cancelled my existing policy, now only ten days old. MCIA have now refunded just £270 of the £350 premium, withholding £80 for just ten days cover. I could understand this if I had cancelled my policy for 'other' reasons, but they could not provide cover for my vehicle.

For those who are interested in the figures, the old van had a value of approx. £21k and the premium was £350p.a. The new van's value is £50k and my insurance with Caravan Guard is £560.

Who is being unreasonable here?

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is all in the small print Big John, the insurance company have already paid the commission to the original brokers for the business, they will also have a minimum period of insurance as well, the brokers may even have charged you for cancelling the insurance :evil:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had a similar situation, but I held the upper hand at the time. I quietly pointed out that I assumed they had to conform to certain standards to be part of and display that they were members of various associations, since I felt their service fell short of sensible standards that they should reconsider their decision before I took matters further. Yep I won. They gave all sorts of rubbish excess’s, saying junior staff etc.

On another occasion I got a pro-rata refund (without administration costs) as my new vehicle wasn’t listed by my then present insurance company. But that was quite a while ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.