Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know if any of you have seen this but it sounds great. For June-August Vodafone are offering their passport scheme with no connection fee. Normally you pay 75p for a connection and then just use your UK minutes which is ok if your on a long call. Well apparently they are dropping the connection fee for this summer which means if your on vodafone contract or PAYG you can call home or mobiles from Europe for the same cost as if you were in the UK. I get unlimited landline calls and 750 min on my contract for £17.50 per month so in theory I should be able to call UK Land line numbers and talk all day for nothing (well my monthly contact fee). Dont think it applies to internet roaming though. You can still take advantage of it even if your not with Vodafone with an unlocked phone and a vodafone PAYG sim. Here is the link

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=21702465#post21702465

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
No problem here. I had an old pay as you go Vodaphone card still with some credit on it. Just loaded it and sent Passport to 2345 and authorised immediately. I'll top it up now so I have a Vodaphone and a T-Mobile one.

peedee

·
Registered
890 Posts
barryd. Like you I also get unlimited landline calls and 750 mins inclusive in contract. I rang Vodafone and was told that because of the 'fair usage' policy which we would have agreed to the free uk landline calls do not apply to this scheme. Therefore inclusive minutes can be used but I assume that uk landline calls will come out of that 750 minutes and not be free as in UK.
I am not convinced about the reply I got from the usual operators at Vodafone so am making further enquiries. If free landline calls do apply then I am going to get it in writing either by text or e mail.
I am off to France in a couple of weeks and I am advised that the network to be used is SFR. (A partnership agreement I believe)
Regards, Dave

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Roaming

Hi

For those of you with THREE handsets, remember that from the end of June, the THREE at Home service ends. This means that roaming charges will apply in Italy, Austria, Ireland and other countries - even though you may be on a THREE network.

Three have agreed to cancel my 18 month contracts early after I wrote to them and pointed out this is a breach of contract.

Russell

·
Premium Member
31,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chudders said:
barryd. Like you I also get unlimited landline calls and 750 mins inclusive in contract. I rang Vodafone and was told that because of the 'fair usage' policy which we would have agreed to the free uk landline calls do not apply to this scheme. Therefore inclusive minutes can be used but I assume that uk landline calls will come out of that 750 minutes and not be free as in UK.
I am not convinced about the reply I got from the usual operators at Vodafone so am making further enquiries. If free landline calls do apply then I am going to get it in writing either by text or e mail.
I am off to France in a couple of weeks and I am advised that the network to be used is SFR. (A partnership agreement I believe)
Regards, Dave
Very wise! I suspected something like that may be the case. I have never in all my life come across a service provider as bad as vodafone. I changed from Orange in Feb purely on cost as the deal was too good to be true. They then tried to back out of the deal and charge me double. After many calls and emails I got confirmation of my tarrif. I have been trying to get an online account for 4 Months! It keeps failing and the support is just awful. Its not me either, they have tried to set it up for me and cant! I want it set up so I can keep track of whats going on with my bill when I am away as I just dont trust them at all. The only positive thing is this deal for June-August will save me a lot of money plus the charges I pay in the uk for unlimited landline 750 min mobiles and unlimited internet at £17.50 is pretty much the cheapest you can get I suppose so I guess I cant complain too much, plus I got a free sony phone which I flogged on ebay for £100 and £50 credit for recommending myself as I already had a dongle account!

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Three have agreed to cancel my 18 month contracts early after I wrote to them and pointed out this is a breach of contract.
Nice one Russell! :lol:

You obviously didn't get where you are today by not examining your contract closely! :wink:

·
Premium Member
31,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just spoken to Vodafone and they have told me that I will get unlimited land line calls from Europe included! I asked him to confirm it. He went away and came back and said Yep you will. I asked for confirmation in writing, he said I can send you a text. I said ok then. Half an hour later, no text! Hmmmm. Will tackle them again at some point but I have had to speak to them twice today and my blood presure cant take it

·
Registered
890 Posts
barryd, Sorry you have problems with Vodafone. Have to speak as I find. I have been with them for 10 years and got on reasonably well. When I renew my contract I always threaten to leave and they come up with a better, cheaper deal. I do have on line billing and works OK for me. Even allows me to change the price plan if I want to. If I have problems I always ring and ask to speak to the disconnection team. They seem to have all sorts of 'powers' that the run of the mill phone answerer does not.
Regards, Dave

·
Premium Member
31,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chudders said:
barryd, Sorry you have problems with Vodafone. Have to speak as I find. I have been with them for 10 years and got on reasonably well. When I renew my contract I always threaten to leave and they come up with a better, cheaper deal. I do have on line billing and works OK for me. Even allows me to change the price plan if I want to. If I have problems I always ring and ask to speak to the disconnection team. They seem to have all sorts of 'powers' that the run of the mill phone answerer does not.
Regards, Dave
I think I have been execptionally unlucky with them. I did the same as you with Orange year and year out but this year they were not having it and vodafone offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. I am happy with the price though! Plus as we live out in the sticks Vodafone mobile works here whereas Orange only did if you stuck your head out of the window so as I get free land line calls I dont use the land line anymore so save even more money on that.

·
Premium Member
31,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
barryd said:
Just spoken to Vodafone and they have told me that I will get unlimited land line calls from Europe included! I asked him to confirm it. He went away and came back and said Yep you will. I asked for confirmation in writing, he said I can send you a text. I said ok then. Half an hour later, no text! Hmmmm. Will tackle them again at some point but I have had to speak to them twice today and my blood presure cant take it
Chudders and all

After getting confirmation from the help desk person yesterday that my unlimited land line calls would be included, I like you decided to get it in writing so I emailed them yesterday. Got a reply this morning. Guess what? They are not included. Now why am I not suprised!!

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
I'm being really turned off to Vodafone :roll:

Still- if I can get cheap calls from France for a few weeks with a free simcard and an ancient unlocked Nokia, so what? :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
31,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep that’s my opinion as well. I used to criticise Orange but this lot are just on a completely different planet. It has taken me (and this is not an exaggeration) 4 months to setup an online account with them. Every time I set it up it failed. The support desk tried to set it up and it failed. They kept escalating the problem but then I just wouldn’t hear anything so I would call back and go through it all again. Yesterday I spoke to yet another girl on the help desk who was very sympathetic and spent ages trying to fathom it out until she suggested that I use a different user name from my email address which contains a hyphen. Bingo it worked!! She was more delighted than me and was whooping for joy on the other end of the phone. I guess being in IT I should have perhaps thought of that myself but you think after 4 months somebody at their end might have figured it out. Only reason I am staying. Price! (And the whooping French support girl)

Barry

·
Premium Member
31,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I could have talked to her all afternoon. Cant wait to get to France! Michelle my wife might not be too happy though. I wonder if she could adopt the accent if we stay there long enough. No sorry. wrong forum. Ill get me coat.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just saw Russel's post about 3 and I just posted a question about it on another thread. I've already emailed 3 and told them that I consider they have breached my contract with them by removing the special rates in Italy and Austria. I'm glad to hear that they have agreed to cancel your contract because that's what I requested so I can now quote a precedent. :evil: :evil:

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
The vodafone webpage says this about the removal of Roaming charges:

"This means you can call home to gloat about the weather. Call mobiles and landlines in the Vodafone Passport country you're visiting. And send text and picture messages to friends and family back home. Everything is charged at your home rate - or taken from your inclusive minutes, texts or picture messages if you have them.

Can someone tell me please what is the "home rate" (i've just sent for a simcard so it'll be as a new payg customer.

THanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
Telbell said:
The vodafone webpage says this about the removal of Roaming charges:

"This means you can call home to gloat about the weather. Call mobiles and landlines in the Vodafone Passport country you're visiting. And send text and picture messages to friends and family back home. Everything is charged at your home rate - or taken from your inclusive minutes, texts or picture messages if you have them.

Can someone tell me please what is the "home rate" (i've just sent for a simcard so it'll be as a new payg customer.

THanks
I,m not on PAYG but I think those who are know how much per minute their calls are in this country and I believe its on the Vodafone website.
So I suppose they mean that you will pay the same abroad as you would here with no additional roaming charges. I will try and have a look as well at the website
Dave

Had a look now, it looks as though the PAYG phone is 20 per min for calls butr I also see their sim only packs start at £10 for 100 included minutes, 500 texts and lasts for 30 days. I assume that is what you will get when in another applicable country. Depending on the package and price you paid.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.