Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Ducato 2.8JTD Timberland PVC
5,256 Posts
Did two trips last year, one on Eurotunnel and one by ferry, and wasn't checked for 'foodstuffs' but that's the luck of the draw .. next trip they may well do, so why risk it, plenty of food in France.

· Premium Member
12,491 Posts
No checks on all 3 trips last year.

I think this has been put to bed now anyway as small amounts for personal use seem to be permitted. There is a chap on Out and About Live who seems to have unearthed info on this...

The chap in question (Bravo sir!) highlighted these areas....

4) Exemptions from official controls at border control posts for products which form part of travellers’ personal luggage, for products for consumption by the crew and passengers on board means of transport operating internationally,

(8) Pursuant to Article 48(d) and (e) of Regulation (EU) 2017/625, products which form part of passenger’s personal luggage and are intended for their personal consumption or use and small consignments of goods sent to natural persons which are not intended to be placed on the market should be exempted from official controls at border control posts.

Animals and goods exempted from official controls at border control posts ...

(c) goods on board means of transport operating internationally which are not unloaded and are intended for consumption by the crew and passengers;

(d) goods which form part of passengers personal luggage and are intended for personal consumption or use;

So now hopefully we should be able to put to bed the speculation and hopefully this will be a boon for those of us who like to have a few bits and pieces on board until we can get to a French supermarket.

· Premium Member
11,909 Posts
No checks on all 3 trips last year.

I think this has been put to bed now anyway as small amounts for personal use seem to be permitted. There is a chap on Out and About Live who seems to have unearthed info on this...

The chap in question (Bravo sir!) highlighted these areas....

4) Exemptions from official controls at border control posts for products which form part of travellers’ personal luggage, for products for consumption by the crew and passengers on board means of transport operating internationally,

(8) Pursuant to Article 48(d) and (e) of Regulation (EU) 2017/625, products which form part of passenger’s personal luggage and are intended for their personal consumption or use and small consignments of goods sent to natural persons which are not intended to be placed on the market should be exempted from official controls at border control posts.

Animals and goods exempted from official controls at border control posts ...

(c) goods on board means of transport operating internationally which are not unloaded and are intended for consumption by the crew and passengers;

(d) goods which form part of passengers personal luggage and are intended for personal consumption or use;

So now hopefully we should be able to put to bed the speculation and hopefully this will be a boon for those of us who like to have a few bits and pieces on board until we can get to a French supermarket.
It was Brian Kirby who posted that.

It is a pity the media don't publish definitive information like that instead of stories about a truck deiver's ham sandwich.

· Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Just wanted to say that the Out and About site is a real mine of information and Brian and Derek in particular seem to do a lot of research before posting.
It was Derek in the South through Rouen thread who actually wrote to the French authorities about the Crit Air restrictions and got a formal reply that motorhomes are exempt until 2024. I carried his reply with me as we travelled through Rouen.
Much better than continued speculation, as there has also been about carrying foodstuffs.
Thanks chaps.

Reactions: GMJ

· Premium Member
29,617 Posts
I just saw a thread on a motorhoming Facebook group about this and a few people reckoned they had been searched and had stuff confiscated fairly recently. Its Facebook though so could be utter rubbish. Most are saying they had not been searched.

· Registered
5,256 Posts
Its Facebook though so could be utter rubbish.
the same Facebook folks post on here, and every other forum.. but then again, as you say, there is a lot of rubbish and misinformation on the web and most motorhome groups, be they Facebook or not ..

better doing your own research, why I posted the link to the official information from the European Commission.

· Premium Member
29,617 Posts
the same Facebook folks post on here, and every other forum.. but then again, as you say, there is a lot of rubbish and misinformation on the web and most motorhome groups, be they Facebook or not ..

better doing your own research, why I posted the link to the official information from the European Commission.
That link you posted makes it look like all personal meat and dairy is banned but then if you click the link to the legislation within it, it has the same exemption paragraph in it that Brian Kirby produced on the OAL thread further up this thread.

"

Exemptions from official controls at border control posts for products which form part of travellers’ personal luggage, for products for consumption by the crew and passengers on board means of transport operating internationally, and for products sent as small consignments to private persons already exist under Council Directive 97/78/EC (2). For the sake of legal clarity and in order to ensure a consistent application of those exemptions given that Directive 97/78/EC is repealed with effect from 14 December 2019, it is appropriate to lay down provisions on such exemptions in this Regulation. Those exemptions concern certain categories of animals and goods which, although they enter the Union, are not to be placed on the market.

"

I guess the question you need to ask is if you get checked by a border official who is having a bad day are you going to quote above reference to him as he confiscates your bacon and eggs? :D

Personally I probably would wing it. We dont hardly carry much food stuff that would be affected anyway. Maybe a Cooked Chicken from Tescos which Michelle will likely be picking at in the queue :D

· Registered
8 Posts

Reading the legislation that you posted it seems to be meat diary etc can only be brought into EU for personal use legit if you come from Greenland

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,698 Posts
Rights and wrongs and what the legislation says is one thing. What an official thinks or has been told the legislation says is quite another. Unfortunately.

Good luck to anyone who intends trying to argue on the spot, even if they do have a printout of the actual legislation. In a similar vein we find we are being charged duty and VAT on personal stuff coming to Spain from NI. I'd have thought that everybody would be aware that NI is within the CU and SM and have noticed that there's been a massive hoohaa going on about that for the last 7 years, but apparently even something getting that amount of press coverage has not imprinted itself in the official mind.

Reactions: Scotjimland

· Registered
5,256 Posts
Good luck to anyone who intends trying to argue on the spot, even if they do have a printout of the actual legislation.
Fully agree. It reminds me of the debate about "A frame" towing abroad and taking a print out of legislation that said they were legal in the EU .. hmm.. try arguing that with a cop and waving an A4 [page in his/her face...

· Premium Member
12,491 Posts
We came through the tunnel yesterday. As always no desire or inclination to worry about anything except turning our gas off.

Reactions: raynipper

· Registered
5,256 Posts
Updated advice
They go on to point out that this is the intended meaning of the Regulation, and that only the ECJ is empowered to interpret EU laws/regulations. It is clear enough that customs officers will proceed on the basis of the intended meaning of the regulation, at least until such time as a case is decided by the ECJ.

So, in case you may have been wondering, the best current advice is to avoid taking any of the above items into the EU from the UK, and instead to programme into you trips a visit to a supermarket as soon as you are on EU territory!

Edited 29 minutes ago by Brian Kirby

1 - 18 of 18 Posts