Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Chipping Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD

65K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  big-t 
#1 ·
I've had a search on this forum for recent posts on this subject and they are all from a few years back, so I just wanted to see what the current thinking is.

I have a 7 berth MH (so its big & heavy) on a 2005 Ducato 2.8 JTD chassis. Only done one 300 mile journey so far and got 25MPG for 55-60MPH.

A few questions:

1. Is a ECU remap considered better than a Smartbox or Van Aaken box?

2. I understand MPG should increase by 10-15% and BHP by up to 30 extra. Is that right?

3. Have researched Angel Tuning who seem to have good references on their website and offer a mobile service. Has anyone on MHF used Angel and what was your experience?

4. Also have talked to PD Tuning in North East. They advocate me going to them because they need to use their special machines that mobile folk can't use. Any truth in that?

5. How much should a remap cost? £250 seems good value is that about right?

6. Has anyone had any really bad experiences after a remap?

Many thanks

Tim

See less See more
#28 ·
Have you thought of having a TUNIT device or similar fitted? Worked for us*, and has the benefit that we can easily re-adjust it ourselves if required to deal with different road type/driving requirements. Also it can be removed and refitted at nominal cost if you update vehicle, hence helping with payback.

*One of the biggest benefits we find is that it has almost eliminated having to change down from 5 to 4 on motorways, a boon when on cruise control with a manual box.

#29 ·
thefatlady said:
Penguin, you may think it inappropriate, but it is certainly not a ludicrous comment. I now wish I hadn't posted that bit, but it is a fact and it is relevant to remapping My A-class is stable at 80mph. On my last 650 mile journey abroad, I averaged 64mph, including stops.
My comment about that speed stands, IMO MH are not designed for that sort of speed, they are effectively HGV's and as such have a lot of mass to change direction or slow down. Such acceleration forces are high.

My comments come from legally driving similar large vehicles only with blue lights and audible warning devices for 15 years. The level of skill needed for such things does not come easily and takes a large amount of practice under supervision. It is not necessarily you that may cause the problem but other drivers who do not anticipate a vehicle of that size doing that speed.

To average 64 mph including stops for a 650 mile journey is not a thing that I would be proud of - to me it smacks of driving without due care............

There are guidelines as to how long one should rest every 2 hours of driving;

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/reposit...ographs - Goods Vehicles in GB and Europe.pdf

page 18 includes;

driving time 2 hours - break time 45 minutes - driving time 4.5 hours - break 45 minutes - driving time 2.5 hours. Total = 9 hours

by your admission you must have been driving involved IN EXCESS of 10 hours (average speed = 64 mph, journey = 650 miles time = 10 hours 9 minutes)

VOSA (and the EU regs) cover that too for 10 hours driving BUT the overall duration for such a driving time is 11.5 hours so that does not fit your statement........

Hence my concerns that what you have admitted for driving effectively an HGV is not safe. Sadly, road traffic collisions are frequently due to driver fatigue...

" research shows that driver fatigue may be a contributory factor in up to 20% of road accidents 1, and up to one quarter of fatal and serious accidents"

source;
http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/driving/driverfatigue/default.aspx

so I stand by my comment for those collective reasons, such a trip is unsafe and puts other (innocent) people at risk. :evil:

but discussions about this are of course; {offtopic} c/w the title of this thread.........

Dave

#31 ·
rogerblack said:
Have you thought of having a TUNIT device or similar fitted? Worked for us*, and has the benefit that we can easily re-adjust it ourselves if required to deal with different road type/driving requirements. Also it can be removed and refitted at nominal cost if you update vehicle, hence helping with payback.

*One of the biggest benefits we find is that it has almost eliminated having to change down from 5 to 4 on motorways, a boon when on cruise control with a manual box.
I also have a Tunit box fitted and I am happy with the performance.

ps, I cannot afford to drive at 80 mph. My MPG would fall off a cliff at that speed. :cry:

pps, if the poster has a solar panel, I hope it is fastened down properly. :lol:

#33 ·
We've done about 1000 miles since fitting our Cheetah clip on system.

Before fitting we were getting around 22 mpg. We've tried settings up and down the settings range. Some giving us better torque less mpg/ less torque better mpg finally settling for the 2nd from lowest setting

Over a variety of terrains, making full use of the gear-box (keeping the revs flowing rather than the engine struggeling), and keeping the top speed on open roads to around 60mph and motorways at 65/70 mph. we seem to be getting around 26/27 mpg on cheap supermarket diesel.

#34 ·
Penguin, I take your points, but you are extrapolating from part of the information.

1. Such journeys are undertaken almost entirely on motorways.

2. You assume one driver. I am considering the van's capability. On such a trip we have two drivers.

3. As a Chartered Engineer, I am well aware of the implications of force, mass, momentum and acceleration. That is reinforced by having driven many tortuous mountain passes with lots of hairpins, a totally different driving style.

4. It is not a matter of pride or otherwise, just fact.

Over and out.

#36 ·
What benifits for 2.0jtd

Our Mobilvetta Driver 52 has the 2.0 jtd engine, it losses power going up gradients and wonder whether we would benefit by having a TURBOTUNER box fitted, they have said its £204 ,fit myself.I am not looking to go faster just less changing gear when it runs out of puff.

#37 ·
Hi to all on this forum, im in the process of buying a Knaus 2002 2.8jtdi Automatic, Im wondering however if it is possible to remap / chip an automatic? I loved the MH but the only thing I was a bit worried about was the power & sluggish acceleration, I also test drove a newer 2003 JTDI manual & the power difference was amazing.
Any info advice on the auto box would be welcome.
Thanks, M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.