Motorhome Facts Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I will have a look at ours tomorrow - it looks the same as yours - and see if I can find a low-level vent. Our sits beneath the wardrobe, behind the Truma heater/fire, in its own little cubby-hole. The boiler itself is completely room sealed.

You've got me thinking now...........
Kev - Had a gander in the cupboard under the boiler yesterday and, yes, there is a drop out vent directly under the boiler (boiler is on a small wooden shelf on legs 3" high). The drop out vent is of the 'top-hat' variety as opposed to just a flat grille - about 2" in diameter and made of beige plastic. Another exists under the cooker.

·
Premium Member
46,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Kev - Had a gander in the cupboard under the boiler yesterday and, yes, there is a drop out vent directly under the boiler (boiler is on a small wooden shelf on legs 3" high). The drop out vent is of the 'top-hat' variety as opposed to just a flat grille - about 2" in diameter and made of beige plastic. Another exists under the cooker.
Nope, nothing under our van, top hat is better, less rush of air when windy, useful under ovens.

I don't fancy the job of putting one in the the Triplex oven and hob, I have a double floor with about 100mm gap, so I'll need to drop the waste tank, then drill through, then line with a tube/pipe so it goes outside not between the floors, problem is I have no idea what is between the floors, as it seems to be used for pipes cable and ducting only, it's not a usable space, My thinking is it'll be easier to go put it on a shelf, and go through the wall and fit some sort of cover, and vent that way.

I do have a spare Solar panel roof entry thing, which might not look too bad, no screws needed either.

Anyone got any thought on the vent aspect of this job, other than it'd be a good idea to have one.

·
Premium Member
46,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I just tried to fit the camera and there is no tidy path for the video lead to follow, not is there one for the power lead for the camera.

I could mess around extending the cable and running it along the chassis, but I have too much other stuff to do and I'd still have the camera power problem

I'm well miffed as this one seems better than the last one as far as picture quality is concerned so I'm going to whack it back on Ebay unless some one wants one, plus postage.

Just PM me if interested video of it last post.

·
Premium Member
46,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Kitchen now up and working, Triplex is working well, hob is much better than the Smev one, pics later maybe, got a door to make out of old drawer fronts to go below the oven as the old one is too big.

I'm on with moving the stupidly (and very noisy) placed Fiamma water pump, and while I'm at it the charger or whatever it is can be moved, I'm on with the 2 x 125ah LB install in a new location freeing up the space under the driver seat, and getting rid of the present 85ah LB, and getting ready to measure up where the Solar panel is going to live, which will hopefully mean the MPPT reg will live in the wardrobe, if it wasn't for the ugly cables on show at the botton I'd have it in a more visible location, I think the new model has a backlight so not too bad in there.

Still cogitating about the reversing camera, wish I'd looked at the layout before ordering Grr.

·
Premium Member
46,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Been moving some stuff around as it was badly placed in the van.

OK, I moved the charger cabling to a more accessible place as there is a slide inside the charger to go down to 110v input, no way I could have known about it or where it was located due to the comedian who fitted it in the factory, I won't invoke the swear filter, but think of a few expletives and you won't be far off.

Anyhoo, I put my cheapo meter on it, see pic, as there are 3 wires and I wondered why, turns out its around 5v on the gray cable, 13.8v ish on the red (so much for 12v), I have no idea where the 5v is going to be used, and causes a problem if I go to a Ctek charger, so I'd need to keep this or get a sparky to make me a drop down whatsit.

Ideas for the 5v usage from the LBs is very welcome, I can't think of any, and it disappears into the double (inaccessible) floor :( :(

·
Premium Member
46,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Got the bathroom basin out today, it looks like it's been in and out a few times before, silicone in layers all over the place, managed to get back to clean surfaces, got a nice new mixer tap for £15, all ready to whack it back in tomorrow :D :D

I did a mod to the inverter as well today, I opened it up to check condition and hive it a good blow out with compressed air, I then though about something which came up on the self build site yesterday about fitting a remote switch for the thing, easy enough to do as I'm moving it anyway.

I took on of the thin wires going to the switch from the board and cut into it then ran a bit of twin cable to an old house light switch I had kicking around in the garage, job done, it need to original switch to be on too, but once it is, then it can be hidden away and switched remotely.

Mod and switch upgrade.

I meant to order my cables today, but clean forgot :( :(

·
Premium Member
46,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
So first outing:-

Fridge could have been colder on LPG, twas set to max all weekend, need to fit some fans methinks, maybe go over the top and have two sets, one sucking air in at the lower vent, and another set extracting at the top vent, separately switched, thoughts please.

Solar controller seems to be doing odd things, see other thread for video.

Bed, yes please we'll have one of those, never thought to try and set it up, but it looks a bit like something Krypton factor though OTT, but might just be parts missing.

New oven and hob worked a treat though, even had toast from the grill :D :D

Igniter light still on, need to get my OBD gizmo sorted out. TBS, likewise the steering problem still persists, but has moved up speed wise, need to get a front end check done by an MOT station.

Otherwise an OK weekend, got a vid of the hot air balloons to post later, listen out for the little brat trying to get his inebriated VW camper owner dad to give him his phone once he saw me using mine, two VW vans Billabong and Laila parked together, a right noisy ignorant bunch, thank god for ear plugs, could have happily gassed them, shame there is no such thing.

Vijo

Note it was 21.26 and a 3 year old Samsung S2, not too bad, it was actually a lot darker than it appears on the vijo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, you can try this to get rid of your warning light... I have a 2005 2.8jtd, Ci 171 and had the same light with occasional loss of power.

After a deep search of the internet I found that the turbo wastegate actuator eye end can start to seize on the pin of the wastegate valve lever, making the w/g unable to travel to it's full extent.

If you crawl under the van, head first from behind the offside front wheel and look forward and up, you will see the vacuum controlled actuator, just at the start of the exhaust. There is a circlip holding the eye end onto the pin, remove it and try and lift off the actuator. (You may have to remove the bolts at the actuator body bracket to give you more 'leverage') Clean the pin and actuator eye end inner with scotchbrite or similar, use a small amount of light oil to reassemble and go for a drive!

I had to do this to mine in France in 40° heat recently as I was about to do the 'Route des Grande Alpes' and the van drove superbly after :)

Hope this helps

Gaz

·
Premium Member
46,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hi, you can try this to get rid of your warning light... I have a 2005 2.8jtd, Ci 171 and had the same light with occasional loss of power.

After a deep search of the internet I found that the turbo wastegate actuator eye end can start to seize on the pin of the wastegate valve lever, making the w/g unable to travel to it's full extent.

If you crawl under the van, head first from behind the offside front wheel and look forward and up, you will see the vacuum controlled actuator, just at the start of the exhaust. There is a circlip holding the eye end onto the pin, remove it and try and lift off the actuator. (You may have to remove the bolts at the actuator body bracket to give you more 'leverage') Clean the pin and actuator eye end inner with scotchbrite or similar, use a small amount of light oil to reassemble and go for a drive!

I had to do this to mine in France in 40° heat recently as I was about to do the 'Route des Grande Alpes' and the van drove superbly after :)

Hope this helps

Gaz
Hi Gaz, thanks but it was a diffrent problem and I cleared it only this weekend.

See this thread

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.