Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer suggestions for suitable non- chlorine based cleaning agents safe for use within the freshwater system ?

I have decided that our tank is in need of a clean as it has not been done for a long time (we drain it after every use but of course cannot remove every drop).

I will not use a sodium hypochlorite based agent after very bad experience using Milton as recommended by them - it left the water tasting foul even after months of repeated washing and draining. There was also a lot of discussion (involving Spykal on here) about the effect of sodium hypochlorite on some metals, particularly aluminium, that was unresolved at the time (2009).

Mikton know longer seem to have their advice link, but, we would not use a product based on that chemical.

CAK Tanks used to only recommend TanKleen;

but I cannot find out the chemical basis of that - it MIGHT be sodium metabisulphite as there is a reference to wine making and my memory hints at that…..

Anyone got any ideas ? Of course, my next headache will be getting it here after Brexit and the total block on doing anything via Customs and post.

·
Premium Member
22,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure that the acid content of vinegar would be good for the metallic elements in the heater, but we use cleaning vinegar in our kettle and coffee machine on a monthly basis and they have not packed up yet - so that is an idea I may follow through thanks Jean.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I've tried vinegar but wasn't impressed.
Last time I used citric acid, 10 grammes per litre, it was spotless afterwards and is what I'll use again.

·
Premium Member
16,394 Posts
I have no idea what the inside of my tank looks like, as far as I know there is no way in except where it’s filled up. I don’t drink from it

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
I was doing it for maintenance rather than trying to shift a bad taste or smell so, TBH, I don't know how effective it was. But I do use vinegar for all sorts of things and am impressed by its cleaning properties.

4 litres vinegar, 20 litres of water

Run into boiler then heat, then run to fill all pipes.

Leave 4-5hrs then drain n flush.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
I use Puriclean Dave. Its purpose developed for this use; safe for use in the boiler; and not too expensive ether.

·
Premium Member
22,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use Puriclean Dave. Its purpose developed for this use; safe for use in the boiler; and not too expensive ether.
but sadly not available in France by the look of it and Amazon says “unavailable and don’t know when it will be back”

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Reactions: Penquin

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
I used to 3/4 fill tank and add an egg cup full of bleach. Go for a run round the block and empty and refill.
OK a slight whiff of 'clean' when showering but not unpleasant.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
There will be plenty of organic milkers in france I'm sure Dave. Maybe something like this.
It would seem this might be corrosive to metals with a Met. Corr. 1 - H290 classification.
Vinegar cleans the chalk from my kettle, but I boil the water with vinegar in.
I use vinegar (cold) to successfully clean silver or gold jewellery.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Just as a caveat though Kev, I'd not be pulling that through the boiler though

:D

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,670 Posts
Just as a caveat though Kev, I'd not be pulling that through the boiler though

:D
Boiler on our older vans is not connected the waste tank, dunno why you'd think that G

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Good point. OP asked for advice on cleansing freshwater system

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear
1 - 20 of 27 Posts