Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a complete novice but with an uncontrolable urge to purchase a motor home, where do i start, what is the most economical model, which models hold their value, what is the most reliable vehicle around ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC!!
Smink :? :?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Hi Smink welcome to our mad world.
First things first, what kind of travelling /camping do you want to do?
Full term / long term / normal holidays / weekends?
where will you be storing the beast when you get it?
How long is your drive / how accessible is it
How many of you are there, and how friendly are you?
[Caz manages to get 3 kids n 2 dogs in a short wheel base transit? some people go for 6 metres worth for a couple.]
How much money do you want to commit?
Have you any dealers nearby? Can you get to the shows there are several coming up?
Manchester GMEX 22nd january or thereabouts
Birmingham NEC mid february
Peterborough in April
Have you thought about hiring a van and then when you get onto a site hassle the other motorhomers there - cos we'll all talk for ever about our pride and joys.
What kind of van did you want? there is the basic van with just the interior adapted, coachbuild which is a bit like a caravan with a van cab in front [no offense :p ] and A class which tend to be the big really flash looking ones where the cab is integrated into the vehicle.
Check out the Motorhome review section on here, some of them really go into a lot of detail; and Motorhome FAQs for info on different kinds of MH.

Whereabouts in the country are you? 8)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The first thing is take ages to look,fix
Firmly in your minds how much your spending limit is,
Decide what layout suits you best,
The next thing is the base vehicle.

On new vehicles around 70% of the market is held with the Fiat Ducatto/ Peugeot Boxer (same chassis) followed by I recon VW then Trannies and mercs following on. Most new vehicles are ok.
Make sure the engine size is appropriate to the van size. for example I have an Executive which comes with a 2Ltr petrol engine ? or a 2.8ltr TD. (Mine is an older model with a 2.5TD) and I wouldnt entertain anything less than I have now for that size of vehicle
The newer models have dash mounted gear levers which makes accessing the habitation area easier.
You can get some new entry level vans cheaper than second hand depends what you want but dont dismiss these lower cost new vehicles if cash is limited.
Members of this group will offer you advice dont be frightened of asking, these things dont come cheap and it helps if you can get it right first time

·
Registered
565 Posts
Now where's that bit of string!

If you haven't got a clue, you need to do some viewing of as many dealers etc as possible. When you feel your getting close to a choice, hire one to see how you get on with it on a usage basis.

We all have our individual requirements. Mine has to earn its keep (like anything I invest in), so while I'm not saying away in it, it doubles up as my regular transport, a vehicle for moving materials etc.

If your used to driving a small run around you may find their size too difficult, especially when you try to park it in a busy street, which is different to a wobblyvan where you can leave it on a camping site and 'pop' in to the nearest town without too much hassle.

Many others will come along and post their opinions of what you should go for, but at the end of the day its down to your personal choice.

Have fun.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome to the club.
Heres how we did it:

1. Get a pin and a map, were the pin lands go to the nearest dealer
2. Stand in the middle of the dealers yard, close your eyes and spin round 6 times with your hand pointing infront of you.
3. Open your eyes and the one your pointing at is the van for you and damn the cost.

Thats how we did it!

OR you could take the advice given above. I did a quick search on the database here and it came up with the exact van we bought so I recon it works.

Sorry its a slow day in work :fart:

P.S. Anyone want to buy a 35 year old 200 feet long Winnibago?

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Buy a motorcaravan magazine or two and look for the biggest dealers within a reasonable distance of where you live. They are likely to carry the biggest stock of new and used at any one time. Check dealers web sites.
It is much easier to look at a range of types and sizes at one dealer than to spend a high proportion of your available time driving from dealer to dealer.

Take a notebook and note the vans that you_don't_want as well as the ones that appeal, seperately. It's hard to remember later if you don't take notes. Don't be afraid to ask questions and get into conversations with others going round. They might have just got rid of your dream model!
Stick rigidly to the price band you've chosen! There's always a van just above your limit that looks a snip at just a few pounds more.

When you've narrowed it down seek advice re your short list on forums like this.

It took us nearly 3 months before we bought our first and we actually bought it privately!

Good look with your search.

Gillian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.