Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On three occasions recently I have gone to start my 1998 Ducato (Swift motorhome)and when I turn the key all lights up then as I go to start the engine everything goes dead - nothing at all. The original immobiliser has been removed.

I then wait about 5 minutes and the immobiliser (Cobra - light on dash) starts to flash again and everything comes back on and the engine starts. Any ideas?

Andy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds very odd, how old is the engine battery and are you able to substitute it to see if the fault clears?

Duff batteries can throw up all manner of funny faults, not all of them logical or clear cut. It's also worth checking the water level in the cells to make sure it's correct (if the battery design and location allows this) as a low level in just 1 cell can lead to odd behaviour.

Sadsack

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I experienced what you describe on my 1994 Swift Kontiki (Talbot cab, Peugeot running gear). It was one of the spade terminals contained in a plastic multi-block connector in the steering column cover, handling the ignition circuit. Perhaps take the steering column cowling off and shake the connector(s) running from/to the ignition switch, or separate them and examine each spade terminal in the multi-block, looking for blackening or charring.

Dougie.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,640 Posts
Check tightness and cleanliness of engine battery terminals, also check earth lead to engine, common problem on lot's of vehicles.

While down there make sure alternator leads are sound too.

Kev.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
AndrewButler said:
On three occasions recently I have gone to start my 1998 Ducato (Swift motorhome)and when I turn the key all lights up then as I go to start the engine everything goes dead - nothing at all. The original immobiliser has been removed.

I then wait about 5 minutes and the immobiliser (Cobra - light on dash) starts to flash again and everything comes back on and the engine starts. Any ideas?

Andy
Also check that the battery connections are tight enough. I have had this happen on my car where the dash lights up when the key is turned but the battery cannot provide enough power to the starter, because of the loose connections, and everything goes off.

Derek

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
AndrewButler said:

Andy
Also check that the battery connections are tight enough. I have had this happen on my car where the dash lights up when the key is turned but the battery cannot provide enough power to the starter, because of the loose connections, and everything goes off.

Derek

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone!

What confused me was that the power restored after about 5 minutes because................. just checked the battery and one of the connections was half off and I was able to lift it off. It is in fact a b*g**r to get at! I have now tightened it and hope that was the problem.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.