Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm a bit confused about channels

I have a maxview crank up dish (very pleased with) and I use it with a comag 12v receiver. For my viewing I tune it in to the Astra sat, but there are some freeview channels that it doesn't pick up or are encoded...how do I get these?

My TV can pick up freeview through the normal aerial, but signal can be very hit and miss - can I pick this up through my dish?

hope that makes sense

David

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
David/Ian n Suzy

I get confused by Freeview and Freesat too. I have the crank up also with the maxview receiver and couldnt get sky sports news but was told on here that SSN is a subscription channel when using Satellite. Can get it on normal Freeview tv though using status aerial. (the Directional aerial is much netter than the flying saucer omnidirectional)

The link is useful to some extent I and S but doesn't tell us (David and Me) how you actually access Freesat using a satellite.

When I go on the MHF "Satellite Map" & click on the various locations, "Freesat" comes up on lists but not Freeview.

Sorry for interjecting in your thread David but it's of interest to me too

:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Telbell said:
David/Ian n Suzy

I get confused by Freeview and Freesat too. I have the crank up also with the maxview receiver and couldnt get sky sports news but was told on here that SSN is a subscription channel when using Satellite. Can get it on normal Freeview tv though using status aerial. (the Directional aerial is much netter than the flying saucer omnidirectional)

The link is useful to some extent I and S but doesn't tell us (David and Me) how you actually access Freesat using a satellite.

When I go on the MHF "Satellite Map" & click on the various locations, "Freesat" comes up on lists but not Freeview.

Sorry for interjecting in your thread David but it's of interest to me too

:lol:
Hi,

Accessing Freesat involves nothing more than pointing the dish at the correct satellite (ASTRA 28.2° EAST) and having the settings on your STB tuned to this satellite. You then scan for the channels and thats about it.

From the original post I would say it is obvious that David as done all this correctly and is tuned in.

I think the confusion is that he is confusing FREEVIEW and FREESAT as the same thing which they aren't (though the channel list is very similar).

If you need to suss out how to point to Astra 28.2 there are hundreds of websites that will help you do this. I would suggest googling it and picking the guide that you understand best (though http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/2007/08/12/satellite-alignment-calculator-v2/ is a good one)

But it really is a straightforward job (once you know you are on the right satellite).

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Freeview is though an aerial and is the digital service (DVB)
Freesat via satellite. same location that Sky use.

These services DO NOT transmit the same channels, although the high majority are the same... As advised above you can get lists via the various websites..

for FREESAT you can either buy a dedicated Freesat receiver which will have it's own on screen menu and list the UK channels in a specific order, ie BBC1 as no 1 etc. or you can get them with any free to air receiver such as Comag, maxview like supplied at Aldi, Lidl but channel will not be in any particular order and will be mixed with some foreign channels.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Ah!

Dish= Freesat (S'pose that's why it's freeSAT!)
Aerial-Freeview

Thanks all :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
freesat is a satellite only platform that incorporates some of the TV channels that are broadcast on the Astra satellite and are completely free to air.
The freesat platform is a joint venture between the BBC and ITV and is only receivable in the freesat format using a freesat receiver. The specific platform provides access to a comprehensive 8day electronic programme guide and some other features. It also lists channels in a logical order and allows searching of channels by genre.
A free to air receiver is capable of receiving all of the free to air channels from whatever satellite the dish is aimed at, but will not sort and sometimes will not identify the channel name. This makes it more difficult to identify the required channel.
All freesat receivers are capable of being run as full free to air receivers, but will then have the same problems as above.

Freeview is the UK name for Digital TV channels via terrestrial, (Aerial). All channels on Freeview are free to view and there are some extra channels available from other service providers such as Setanta and TopUp TV that are additionally available via a subscription.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
If you have a satellite setup in your house then its easy to setup your digibox that works through a satellite. Plug your MH sat digibox into your home sat system and scan for Free To Air channels, delete the ones that you don't want and save, then when you go out in your van if your satellite dish is pointed in the right direction you will receive all those channels, including Sky News. We make sure that the channel in the MH Sat digibox is on Sky News because this is the easiest channel to receive.

·
Registered
676 Posts
astra 28.2

when setting up dish for astra east is 90 deg and south is 190 deg what is 28.2 east on a compass
ALFG

·
Registered
676 Posts
astra 28.2

when setting up dish for astra east is 90 deg and south is 190 deg what is 28.2 east on a compass
ALFG

·
Registered
676 Posts
astra 28.2.east

does that mean 151.8 deg on a compass
ALFG

·
Registered
676 Posts
astra 28.2.east

does that mean 151.8 deg on a compass
ALFG

·
Registered
676 Posts
astra 28.2 deg

thanks gerry my mistake south should have been 180 deg
ALFG

·
Registered
676 Posts
astra 28.2 deg

thanks gerry my mistake south should have been 180 deg
ALFG

·
Registered
676 Posts
astra 28.2 deg

Hi Tellbell , I don't know what I am doing wrong
ALFG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.