Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst were were away I wanted to watch the British Lions rugby which I can access on NowTV on our Samsung tablet. I then had the bright idea of plugging it into our Avtex TV in the MH so I could watch it on a marginally bigger screen with better sound.

I used the lead off the charger as it had a USB end however, whilst the TV knew that there was something attached, it wouldn't show the Samsung page. The TV gave me the option of Movies, Sounds or Pictures but none of these would open to show the tablet content.

My question is therefore: Is there different kind of lead I need to do this as the basic one for charging didn't seem to be able to carry data. If so, could anyone suggest what I need?

ta

Reactions: patp

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,864 Posts
I wanted to watch Netflix downloads on our van TV a while back Graham, I did a Google and you need a mini HDMI lead, but mine was for a Samsung S5, I now have one for a S7, but don't need it as we don't do TV now.

I've no reason to think it couldn't be done for what you want, which tablet do you have? we already know about the blue ones so we'll gloss over that.

·
Premium Member
46,864 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep the blue ones work great ta...

I can't remember the tablet name/number. Its a samsung Tab A or B or somesuch

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that...

Its a Tab A

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apple iPhone 5c.

What do I search for on Google etc Kev?

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thinking about it, I was trying to connect through the USB port on the telly. If I need an HDMI lead I'll need to check it has an HDMI port.

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I posted the same question on a techie forum that is part of a motoring forum I am a member of and got the following answers so far.

Does this make sense to you Kev (or anyone)?...

If Google doesn't fib, the Tab A doesn't support MHL so you can't just buy an HDMI cable with a teeny end for the tablet. Something like a Google Chromecast will work, though that does need a WiFi network that both devices are on.

You can use a chrome cast to mirror your screen. I use it alot but WiFi network is required. Although if its just mirroring I don't think its using actual Internet so could put up a WiFi network with no Internet connection to see if it still works.

Actually, I've just remembered that things called Miracast dongles work, as you connect the tablet wifi to the dongle wifi, unlike Chromecasts. However, the quality varies wildly and there are no big brand names, i.e. Google/Phillips etc, so your mileage may vary when buying a tenner one, as opposed to a twenty quid one.

·
Premium Member
46,864 Posts
It's a bit of an odd connection, I had two different Samsung phones, but they each need separate 3 ended leads. I did try them on the wrong phones, and they just did nothing.

Hope you find something that works, might be worth joining one of the AV forums to see what they might have come up with.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
You don't need any lead, a chromecast dongle (a tenner 2nd hand or £20 new) on ebay will do it. You will need a wifi source or another android phone to act as a hot spot. You can sit back anywhere then.

Could supply details if you are interested

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
OK Kev, a Chromecast allows you to stream anything that you can stream on a mobile or tablet directly onto a TV as long as the CC and phone are connected to the same wifi source. It will enable you to do other things as well such as show your photos on the screen and video calls. A fairly simple setup process, it uses the app Google home. When not using it in the van it can be very useful in the home turning essentially any old TV into a smart TV as long as there is a an HMDI socket and USB socket on the back of the TV. Oh! and it doesn't eat anything!:smile2:

Can be also used to stream from mobile data via a hotspot (slightly more of a setup). If interested get the Chromecast (3rd generation) the Ultra (more expensive) is not worth it unless you are interested in 4K games or have an enormous 4K TV in which case your butler could set it up for you.:laugh:

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear

·
Premium Member
46,864 Posts
Sounds simliar to what I can do with YouTube, there is a symbol like a box with a wifi type radius in the bottom left corner, I click that and I can watch stuff on the Smart LG telly, not sure I totally grasp what you're saying so I'll see if there is monkey see monkey do on YouTube.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.