Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,788 Posts
What a great post to get the new site up to speed! Sorry, bit of an "in" joke - people talk with great affection for their double skillets!

I can't comment as I have an oven & grill anyway, so don't see the need for one.

Dave

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi Jiffyman

Don't have one either but an article in a MH magazine "me and my van" type of thing sang the praises of these items along with how busy the stalls are at the MH shows. SO kind of remember this as a saying.

Almost as good as the person who stated his kettle lives in the sink (in rapid response mode) during travelling.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Absoluteley brill!, we use it all the time, saw the demo at York and thought it a great idea, low gas usage, less washing up, food cooked to perfection, we have two, one for the Kitchen and a smaller version for the M/H.

We have an oven, grill, microwave, bbq etc. in the 'van but the double skillet gets my vote every time!

Mandy :D

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
We got one about 12 years ago which started life in the then Caravan, we found it so usefull it then moved into the house, it now alternates between the house and van, life would be difficult without it ( Iknow sad !!!!) but well worth buying. I might add its not always used as a double

·
Registered
324 Posts
Agree with all of the above. We lugged a heavy oven round for years but since discovering the double skillet don't even have one installed now.

It's not just the capability to do without an oven. You can do a roast dinner in about 30-45 mins on one low burner. Oven chips in less than that. Keeps the washing up down too!

nth

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yeah the double skillets are good and we used ours a lot before installing an oven and grill (having a Hymer, we had no oven!) - cooked a Xmas lunch in it with no problem and I use both parts separately too - definitely a good and useful kitchen device!
For those who don't know what a skillet is :- it's a frying pan with another on top which when clipped together acts like a minature oven and you CAN make roasts etc in it.. the skillet demonstrations inthe shows are inspiring! Sorry for the poor description but I'm not awake yet..!! Ana xx

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Grizzly,..Badger...and any other wild creatures that may be looking in! :lol:
The double skillet consists of two deep sided teflon coated heavy pans, which lock together, also suppied is a glass lid, the idea is you place the meat/joint/roast in the lower pan, and sit the other pan on top, containing the vegetables with 1/2 a cup of boiling water and the glass lid to cover.
Basically the meat cooks in it's own juices, and the veg steams to perfection on top, you guys need to attend a show to really appreciate the excellent value of this peice of kit, no joke, it's an absolute godsend in any M/H kitchen.

I tried a google wotsit to show a piccy wthout any joy, maybe someone else can :D

Regards M&D :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I first heard of this cooker from this site & had no idea what it was. Turns out it is an up to date item very similar to the cooker we have used since camping days which has now gone to pan heaven. We saw it demonstrated at the Shepton Mallet show & was so impressed we bought one ready to put in the new van when it arrived as we opted to not have the oven. It is brilliant. We tested it out at home on all sorts of things from toast to toasted sarnies, bread rolls,oven chips veggies , jacket spuds etc etc. Brilliant results. Very economical. There is always a large crowd round the live demos

Motorhomer

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Just back from Newbury show and we saw one there. No demo as she was having lunch but I can see what you mean about how useful it is. Had we not spent way above budget we might have gone for one.

Next year perhaps.....

G.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The address is:
D & F Promotions (Double Skillet)
Greenways Farmhouse
Flaxlands
Carleton Rode
Norfolk
NR16 1AD

The most useful item in my (very limited) 'van kitchen. :D

Glad to be back after several failed attempts at registering.

J & W

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.