Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, as some who attended the Shrubbery follow on rally know I have a cracked windscreen due to a stonechip.

Well the latest update is autoglass still don't have the new screen in stock

As i'm going over to Amboise on Monday am. they have told me if they get it delivered on Sat. they will arrange to have it fitted over the w/end if not they shall try to have it fitted in France.

Don't think i'll hold my breath.

They have told me that it is safe to drive so will hopefully see all you Brass banders soon.

Alex.

·
Registered
13,478 Posts
Nice to hear from you Linal
Keep on the bright side they just might fix it for you.
It was a big crack 8O
Theres one thing you dont need the air conditioning on :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hi Alex!

I've just had a new screen fitted by Autoglass, after a stone put a crack into it.

The crack was near the top of the screen; I needed to duck under the pleated blind frame to see it, so it was hardly in the way, initially.

When I spoke with Autoglass, I suggested that I might choose to leave the replacement until after our holiday.

I asked the hypothetical question, "But, what if it got worse whilst in France?"

"No problems. We have branches all over Europe." OK, that was one way of dealing with the situation.

But cracked windscreens are fickle beasts! The next day, when I checked the crack, it was clearly spreading, up to 6 inches. So I was back on the phone to Autoglass who arranged for me to have a new screen fitted next day at Grimsby, 5 miles away.

This workshop's attitude towards customer satisfaction was superb! The personnel could not have done better. They kept me informed of the progress, and the time-scale, and the problem with trying to reseal the scuttle on top of a previous Fiat fix.

The new screen/scuttle did leak, just like in the good old days!! :roll: But a visit to my local Fiat agent did the trick. I had to do it myself, but the agency made arrangements for the sealant, as per Fiat fix, to be supplied, £10.50!! Expensive, but the screen is now sealed once more!

And I added my own scuttle drain on the passenger side. So I'm back to a dry engine compartment once more also. Crikey, I need a holiday. Amboise, here we come! :wink: :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi UncleNorm like you say they have been very good on the phone and very helpfull .

It is South West bus & coach in Bristol that apparently do the large screens down this end of the country for autoglass.

As long as the screen holds out all should be well.

Cheers Alex.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Alex, you could try running some super glue into the crack if you cannot get the replacement soon enough. I drove 2 to 3 thousand miles back to the UK like that without a crack I had getting very much bigger.

peedee

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jezport wish I had seen the stonechip prior to the cracks appearing & as you say resin could have been injected.

So far Autoglass have not looked at the screen but have assured me that it's safe to drive with cracks.

If the screen doesn't hold Locovan will be correct I won,t need air con.

Alex.

·
Registered
13,478 Posts
linal said:
Hi Jezport wish I had seen the stonechip prior to the cracks appearing & as you say resin could have been injected.

So far Autoglass have not looked at the screen but have assured me that it's safe to drive with cracks.

Alex.
I wish I had taken a photo now.
You was saying you had a crack and when I saw it was from top to bottom. 8O
It has gone into 2 hasnt it near the top.
Ray had 6 chips done at the Newbury show and they do a repair for free and then claim off our Insurance.
Yours looks like the advert on TV.
Mavis

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi Locovan my only concern is when I first contacted autoglass I was insured with Safeguard 4 weeks down the line I'm now with Saga £160 cheaper . Don't think Safeguard will be over the moon when they find out i've not renewed . But I switched before the cracks.
If it all goes t---s up when abroad as they both use Autoglass I'll just get it done & let them sort out insurance.

Alex.

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
linal said:

Alex.
Thats amazing, their adverts imply that a crack can be dangerous, but they claim your screen is safe without seeing it :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.