Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for posting a follow up to an existing problem but I seem to be getting nowhere fast as I cannot get a solution for my rear springs creaking.

My van (a Peugeot type X250) developed a problem when it was about a year old with the rear springs creaking very badly last year and the existing double leaf springs were replaced with totally different type single leaf springs which raised the rear of the van by approx 2” We did query this at the time but we thought that the van might settle (which it didn’t) However the main thing was that the creaking had been cured.

About two month ago we noticed that the van was starting to creak again albeit a different creaking noise which got worse as we drove it. Initially Peugeot refused permission for the garage to do anything about it as they said that they had replaced the springs and there was nothing else they could do. This decision was overturned by Customer Services who authorised a repair to be carried out.

When we got the van back it still creaked and we noticed that the replacement springs were of the same single leaf heavy duty. Now our van is very light at the rear as it has only the two 4 foot settee berth with the heavy items such as the kitchen and toilet area in the middle of the van. I am convinced that the single leaf springs which have been fitted are wrong as (a) they creak and (b) the van is sitting too high at the rear.

I have tried without success to find out from the Motorhome Manufacture as to the correct type of spring for this van but to date have had no reply. However I have looked around a few brand new vans built on the same SWB chassis and they have almost flat twin leaf springs.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem.

JohnC

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well as you have a single spring the noise cannot be from two springs rubbing. Could be mounting bushes though, wonder if it worth trying to tighten or loosen them to see if the noise changes or dissappears.
So what else is there that could make a noise.
Spring rubber bushes. Yes they could but I would be suprised unless they had torn, but the garage would have noticed this.
Shock absorbers, possible. Does the noise get better (or worse) after the van has been driven for a while ?. Some gas shockers can have a tigh seal which can creak, but normally only when lightly loaded.
Handbrake cable or other things attached to the rear axle. Hummm, difficult to trace.
Something inside the van. Possible as the body will twist a little. Difficlut to find unless you have a (mug) volunteer who likes crawling round the back of the van while on the move.
Of the above I would suspect shock absorbers, but as I am not a mechanic I could be wrong.
Martin.

Martin

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hi John and Martin!

John, does this problem ease during use on wet roads? My old Tranny used to squeak like mad during dry summers! It was lovely when the rains came! :roll:

I tried lubricating between spring leaves but they never really touched each other. So I used some Nylon/Rubber spray and sprayed the bushes like there's no tomorrow!! I recall that that worked in silencing the squeak... until it needed doing again!

Good luck with the investigation. :D

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Hi John,

We've recently returned from a week in Ireland (bouncing around the South West Coast). Whilst away we developed a creaking noise. As yet I haven't had chance to pin it down exactly but I have discovered that I can reproduce the noise when the van is stationary by rocking the rear wheel, with the hand brake on.

I'm not sure why it is but when the handbrake is on the rear wheel will rotate slightly, just a few degrees and then will be firmly locked. I'm not sure how the handbrake operates on the rear disks but the noise I can get it to make when rocking the wheel sounds exactly like the same noise we get when on the move.

Both rear wheels have that small amount of movement in them when the handbrake is on but (at the moment) only the offside one makes the creaking noise. It seems like there is float in the caliper but as I say I haven't been able to get underneath yet to see what is what. Incidentally we have the single leaf springs too.

If I get chance to investigate further I'll let you know!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am running out of ideas

gm6vxb said:
Well as you have a single spring the noise cannot be from two springs rubbing. Could be mounting bushes though, wonder if it worth trying to tighten or loosen them to see if the noise changes or dissappears.
So what else is there that could make a noise.
Spring rubber bushes. Yes they could but I would be suprised unless they had torn, but the garage would have noticed this.
Shock absorbers, possible. Does the noise get better (or worse) after the van has been driven for a while ?. Some gas shockers can have a tigh seal which can creak, but normally only when lightly loaded.
Handbrake cable or other things attached to the rear axle. Hummm, difficult to trace.
Something inside the van. Possible as the body will twist a little. Difficlut to find unless you have a (mug) volunteer who likes crawling round the back of the van while on the move.
Of the above I would suspect shock absorbers, but as I am not a mechanic I could be wrong.
Martin.

Martin
Thanks for the reply and the suggestions. Think you have covered every possibility as has the garage. When they changed the springs, the kit comes complet with all the fittings such as shackles bushes so everything has been changed so it should not be a worn item. As I said in my posting, I am sure it is down to the wrong type of spring being fitted but I cannot get any reply from the motorhome manufacturer at the moment but will try again on monday.

Regards

JohnC

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried grease on the springs

UncleNorm said:
Hi John and Martin!

John, does this problem ease during use on wet roads? My old Tranny used to squeak like mad during dry summers! It was lovely when the rains came! :roll:

I tried lubricating between spring leaves but they never really touched each other. So I used some Nylon/Rubber spray and sprayed the bushes like there's no tomorrow!! I recall that that worked in silencing the squeak... until it needed doing again!

Good luck with the investigation. :D
Thanks for the suggestion but the last time this happened, the garage tried spraying the springs with a grease and it actually made it twice as bad. Waiting for peugeot to come up with a solution as the van is just unbearable to drive over any sort of undulating road.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still creaking

philoaks said:
Hi John,

We've recently returned from a week in Ireland (bouncing around the South West Coast). Whilst away we developed a creaking noise. As yet I haven't had chance to pin it down exactly but I have discovered that I can reproduce the noise when the van is stationary by rocking the rear wheel, with the hand brake on.

I'm not sure why it is but when the handbrake is on the rear wheel will rotate slightly, just a few degrees and then will be firmly locked. I'm not sure how the handbrake operates on the rear disks but the noise I can get it to make when rocking the wheel sounds exactly like the same noise we get when on the move.

Both rear wheels have that small amount of movement in them when the handbrake is on but (at the moment) only the offside one makes the creaking noise. It seems like there is float in the caliper but as I say I haven't been able to get underneath yet to see what is what. Incidentally we have the single leaf springs too.

If I get chance to investigate further I'll let you know!
Phil, just catching up on MHF forum. Thanks for your sugestions. Our van is in getting some body work repairs carried out at the moment (someone reversed into us) so cannot do your hand brake test at the moment.

I contacted the motorhome manufacters and they cannot shed any light on the problem but have said that they prefer the single leaf sprinsg as it gives the van better handling.

If you find anything I would be grateful if you could PM me with the solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.