Motorhome Facts Forum banner
241 - 257 of 257 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
Awesome trip Jean. Thanks for the interesting blog and super pics.

I'm just marking time staying with my son who's intermittently at home and working in Brussels. Van has been serviced, timing belt done, MOT done yesterday. Just waiting for an appointment with the MCE who is due to replace the heater element on the fridge but cant do it until beg August. Bit of a b***er but these guys are so busy. Then off to Europe and Zurich to pick up my friend on 29 August. Not much touring time this year, but that's how it goes. Weather's cr*p in England this summer. Here I am in my winter woollies with the heater blaring!

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
That's a right bummer having to hang around. If the weather's decent there are plenty interesting places in England but you can only thole so many wettings when you're in the van!

I'm just pulling into Dublin harbour - and the sun is shining! How it's getting thro the grey cloud, I'm not quite sure!

Pic: last night on the English Channel/Irish Sea

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Now in Dunfanaghy - I see the pic didn't go.

The boys are heading for the car thing in Letterkenny on Sat, then we'll probably see something of the blues.

Again.... Sunset on the Irish Sea/English Channel. I was near blown away taking it! And yet, the crossing was almost flat calm. TG.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
I've not done that route before n I kept going in n out of Ireland/NI. And the **** politicians in UK think the Irish border has an easy solution?!

The North generally signposts Londonderry as Londonderry; the South signposts it as Derry. You often see signposts in the north where some (presumably) nationalist has scored out the London to leave a signpost to derry - fair enough.

I saw one today where some (presumably) loyalist had scored out the derry, leaving the signpost pointing to London! Eejit!!

·
Premium Member
28,598 Posts
Just be happy in your bliss Jean.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Hahaha, I did wonder about the question!

The ship.... was grand, plenty seating space but the vehicle decks were by no means full. I found the ship quite hard to navigate - as in, getting round the place. You had to go up n down the stairs a lot as the middle upper section wasn't open to passengers.

Food was the same only-just-warm stuff as usual. Cabin was basic but very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Well, it's all about compromise Sandra, and that seems a fair one to me.

Apparently there was rockslip on the road up around Podgora today so I'd to head south to Ploce then take the toll road on the other side of the mountains. It's a very pleasant motorway as motorways go but I find the driving a bit boring.

I'd set Louise to go to Omis via the Ploce entry and the Sestanovac exit. But she's not very good at 'vias' and she came off the exit before, and we went through the 4km tunnel Sveti Ilija. When she came out of that she must've been disorientated cos she was saying it was 2.5hrs, when it had been saying about half an hour! I'm glad I caught it on early otherwise I might've been back where I started.

The ACSI site here is huge, with lots of cabins on top of one another - not my normal place at all. But it's very pleasant and it's right on the shore - and on the flat! As often, I find it's cheaper for me NOT using the ACSI rate.

I walked in to town n it's a strange mix of attractive (the surrounding hills, the river inlet with its boats) n ugly (the old communist-style blocks of flats which have definitely seen better days).

Photos:
1-4. The attractive Omis
5. The not-so-attractive Omis
Was this the Galeb Camp? We are looking to book a week in September.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
I was in zone B. But unless you're going to sit in or by the van all day I don't really see the point of paying for a beachside pitch. When I wasn't in town and I wanted a view, I had a coffee at the beachside café/restaurant. But presumably that would get pretty busy later in the season too.

I did have ACSI but almost everywhere it was cheaper just to use the 'normal' rates, with me being solo. The only time ACSI rates were better was near the end of my trip, maybe mid-June, when normal rates had increased but ACSI was still current.

There's a petrol station just along from the campsite that has autogas.

241 - 257 of 257 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.