• Order on-line and have them delivered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy in the high street

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I just bought some euro's in town today to tide us over till we get over to France . . got 1.079 but one travel agent was advertising 1.098 with no commision [didn't see it till after I purchased :?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Using ATM's when you need the money is not the answer to getting a good rate, you may get the best rate that is around at that moment in time.
Some people buy when they believe that the rate is possibly the best that it will reach, we bought some last month at £1.11 ready for a holiday starting next week. As it happens the rate did go above that for a while but it has now dropped back down to around the same level.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Using a Nationwide card will give you the official Visa rate for the day which is usually one of the best rates going and NW don't charge a fee so you can't really do much more to increase the number of Euros you get.

If anyone here can accurately forecast the rise and fall of the exchange rate please pm me with the details :D

·
Administrator
18,638 Posts
MikeCo said:
Using ATM's when you need the money is not the answer to getting a good rate, you may get the best rate that is around at that moment in time.
Some people buy when they believe that the rate is possibly the best that it will reach, we bought some last month at £1.11 ready for a holiday starting next week. As it happens the rate did go above that for a while but it has now dropped back down to around the same level.
sorry, mikeco, don't agrre; unless you're buying large amounts, it's not really worth the hassle. Spot rate on my BT yahoo page is 1.1357 now - the atm's are normally at the spot rate, not the "tourist"rate used by the banks ib the UK.
We carry a small float over when we go over the channel, enough to buy a few bits & a drink, then find a local bank & draw some cash.

btw Nattionwide's card is still commission free in Europe, they are charging for outside Europe now, not sure how long the European free rates will apply

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Save all cash not used from previous holiday and use it to fuel up at first stop. Coins saved from previous year are especially usefull for the meters on Aires de Service or Stellplatz.

Withdraw cash from a BANK ATM using Nationwide debitcard (0% commission in Eurozone).

NB. Some ATM's are inside the bank therefore cant be be seen from the street.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I got 320 Eur for £302.11 = rate of 1.0592. (in my head they are at parity)

This was from my local PO - While it is still open...

Oh! - I walked and reduced my carbon flip-flop print

Cheers

Dave

PS off to Finland and the Baltic states tomorrow - on the bike mind...

We are going Dover-Dunkerque then via France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithunia, Poland, Berlin and back to Dunkerque.

Be back in 2 weeks

D

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Went on line yesterday and found the best rate was the post office, so ordered 1,000 euros at 1.1068 and cost £903.51.

Went to local post office today and collected.

Off to Ibiza (flying) on Sunday for a week. Will end up using cash machines out there as well.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Chris - that seems like a much better rate than I got??

I will be "having a word" with sub-post-mistress (as against the dom-post- mistress - Oooooh-er missus) when I get back.

I may have to come to Devizes/Pewsey/Woodbridge next time I need some euros.

See you at the beer-festival - I'll be a year older (but no wiser)

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Hi Dave,

Look forward to seeing you.

As to the rate, I understand that you get the best rate by going on line and as mentioned the Euros turn up at your designated post office the following day. Naturally you use a debit card to buy them and need to have driving licence or and passport to collect.

We do a lot of business with our post office and even though he knows us they have to record the identification.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The Post Office offer you a better rate if you purchase £500 or more currency. I did look at on line with them but wanted to try and help the local post Office as they seem to be trying to shut them all,probably lost out on about 3 Euro not doing it on line.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
grumpyman said:
The Post Office offer you a better rate if you purchase £500 or more currency. I did look at on line with them but wanted to try and help the local post Office as they seem to be trying to shut them all,probably lost out on about 3 Euro not doing it on line.
Or do what I did! Online and collect at your local post office!

Regards

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Today Crown Currency 1.11
That's for delivery between 2nd and 12th June.....and no-one knows what the rate will be by then so you could gain or lose.

If you have a caxton card & upload it today you'd get 111.8

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.